Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Eduard Gutknecht rushed to hospital after defeat to George Groves

I watched the fight this morning and I was calling for them to stop the fight in the 10th when he eye had swollen shut, he couldn't see the punches, his head was snapping back off the jabs and straights, and he was taking some heavy shots.

He couldn't win the fight and he was never going to get the KO, these Eastern Europeans rarely throw the towell in though do they, they are known for leaving it all in the ring but sometimes you can be too brave for your own good.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxin...george-groves/

There were reports Gutknecht, 34, needed to be resuscitated on his way to the neurological unit at St Mary’s Hospital after he briefly stopped breathing.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They mentioned something at the end of the programme. Let's hope he's ok. He took a lot of punishment, but it is difficult when somebody is as game as he is as to when you stop the fight. Let's just hope he's ok.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eduard Gutknecht rushed to hospital after defeat to George Groves

That's a shame. Hope he pulls through okay.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    They mentioned something at the end of the programme. Let's hope he's ok. He took a lot of punishment, but it is difficult when somebody is as game as he is as to when you stop the fight. Let's just hope he's ok.
    I think you stop it when they are taking a beating for a beatings sake, if a points win is impossible and they are not going to get the ko then the corner should pull them out, im not saying as soon as victory is out of reach they should stop the fight but when the eye closed up the corner shold have stopped and thought about how much more he needed to take.

I wanna see blood and snot as much as the next person but I want to see it in a competitive fight.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was just talking to @Memphis about this on Fbook, he was miles behind on points and from the 10th had one eye shut and Groves was landing bombs at will.

He stopped breathing in the Ambulance too

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I think you stop it when they are taking a beating for a beatings sake, if a points win is impossible and they are not going to get the ko then the corner should pull them out, im not saying as soon as victory is out of reach they should stop the fight but when the eye closed up the corner shold have stopped and thought about how much more he needed to take.

I wanna see blood and snot as much as the next person but I want to see it in a competitive fight.
    It's not so much about seeing Blood and Snot, the thing is when you hit Groves, he tends to rock a bit , and it gives an impression you can KO him. It happened a few times last night.
    I'm a big Groves fan and I don't think he's so much chinny as he just looks unsteady when he's hit. I don't think he's as hurt as he looks, and going back to Froch 1 and Howard Foster, that's what cost him the stoppage.
    In reality he was punching back and was no more tired than Froch, he just looks fucked.
    So what I'm saying is that the ref maybe thought he could wobble a "perceived" gassing, chinny Groves.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thing is if a fighter is still marching forward and throwing punches the ref has little or no reason to stop it, yeah his eye was closed late on but that's the corners job to protect their fighter first and foremost and then the refs.
    I agree with @Batman about Groves when he gets hit sometimes, i said the same in the main fight thread last night...... he does pretty often just stumble forward and visibly looks shaken which gives the impression the opponent is having success.

I'd bet alot of money he had a small brain bleed before he even got into the ring picked up in sparring like 99% of the other fighters who suffer the same.

That's 1 death and 2 fighters hospitalised in the UK alone since March (Blackwell) and when you read that Mike Towell literally begged doctors for a brain scan days before his death but was instead given a paracetamol it makes you wonder when not if the BBBofC will finally introduce pre fight scans to protect the fighters and their families.

Takes minutes to do and yeah it would be a logistical and scheduling nightmare for promoters etc but at the end of the day what is more important?

Mike Towell's partner claims tragic boxer asked for brain scan three times before fight which cost him his life - Mirror Online

Nick Blackwell: Boxers calls for pre-fight brain scans for fighters - BBC Sport

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was thinking how much punishment he was taking and what a granite chin he had but the real damage was the last quarter of the fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I was thinking how much punishment he was taking and what a granite chin he had but the real damage was the last quarter of the fight.

But was it? Facially yes the damage was done from when that cut appeared but the reason he's in hospital is not because of a swollen eye or cut is it.
    Nobody knows what internal damage he took into that ring

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately we put him in hospital not George Groves.

We as the people demand a show. The fight wasn't competitive after round 8 (arguably before then).

When groves was able to land his jab/right round the guard every single time it should have been stopped.

Terry O Connor has been refereeing 31 years today!
    He has refereed just under 1000 bouts so he should know better

Case and point, 95% of fans (mainly casual fans) would have complained of the stoppage, yet find it unsettling when this happens.

Hope he recovers perfectly.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

But was it? Facially yes the damage was done from when that cut appeared but the reason he's in hospital is not because of a swollen eye or cut is it.
    Nobody knows what internal damage he took into that ring
    It wasn't the swollen eye or cut that put him in hospital but that was when he couldn't see the punches coming and when that was the point I thought it should have been stopped, I was watching it with my dad and I actually referred to Blackwell and Towell as we were watching it.

I don't think anyone who knows boxing would have complained if it was stopped in the 10th, the casual fan may have complained a little but even if it was stopped people would have said it was an entertaining scrap whilst it lasted.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His corner must take some blame he was on a hiding to nothing.
    He took a lot of punch's and way behind on points,! some people are too tough for there own good.
    Hopefully he comes through and is okay.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you read my quality round by round of the fight Groves had him seriously hurt and I thought he would stop him in the next round. Eduard was wobbling and never threw a meaningful punch but Groves never was able to stop him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you read my quality round by round of the fight Groves had him seriously hurt and I thought he would stop him in the next round. Eduard was wobbling and never threw a meaningful punch but Groves never was able to stop him.
    Groves can punch and he was catching him clean too many head punches, really it was one way traffic.
    I would say the accumulation of hard head shots done the damage.
    The corner is there to protect there fighter simple, in this case he was to tough for his own good and they let him take that punishment, fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nick Blackwell sends message of support to hospitalised Eduard Gutknecht

Gutknecht remains heavily sedated as doctors continue to monitor his progress after surgery for a bleed on the brain.
    p.s. Chris Eubank JR should take note of how Groves has handled this

Thread Information