Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Parker v Zhilei Zhang

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joseph Parker v Zhilei Zhang

Parker still buoyed by Wilder win and warns: 'Zhang will bring it!'

After an astonishing upset win over Deontay Wilder in December, popular New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker goes straight back into a hard fight.

On the undercard of Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou, live on Sky Sports Box Office on Friday March 8, Parker will fight the formidable Zhilei Zhang, an Olympic silver medallist and the WBO's interim heavyweight titlist.

Zhang might be 40 years old but he is in the form of his life. He is coming off two consecutive stoppage wins over Joe Joyce, an Olympic silver medallist himself who is renowned for his resilience.

It is a demanding assignment. But then so was Wilder, who was widely regarded as one of - if not the - hardest punchers in the sport.

"It was a good performance and I was very happy I was able to go out there and execute the plan that we had in place. Wilder was a dangerous fighter but it wasn't his night. It was my night," Parker told Sky Sports News.

"So coming into this fight I'm going in with a lot of confidence from the last performance. I've been working with Andy [Lee, his trainer] in Ireland and we put in some great work. The hard thing about Zhang is finding sparring partners that are similar to him.

"As a younger fighter you go in there and you throw hands and combinations and you go for the kill and as time goes on you change, different trainers and you have different set-ups and I guess the set-up that I have now is the perfect set-up that I've been looking for.

"I've got a good balance and when I enter the fight I'm full of energy."

Zhang will be buoyed in just the same way by his most recent performance.

"Zhang's coming with supreme confidence with the two fights he had with Joe Joyce," Parker said. "Zhang has got a lot of power. He picks his moments and he picks his shots.

"Zhang's just going to bring it all night long and he's going to walk you down and throw shots. It's about being patient, boxing and moving and being smart."

As much as he is taking a risk with this fight, Parker believes victory would confirm his place in the upper echelon of the heavyweight division.

"I feel like I'm right at the top after the good performance in the last fight," he declared. "It's all about this fight coming up and what I can do with this fight.

"If I can put on another good performance, another clinic and a good win, then I'm right up there."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...54c4d44&ei=172
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joseph Parker v Zhilei Zhang

Zhang is a massive danger to any HW out there.
    Parker goes bye bye in 6 .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have watched Parker since he was WBO champion, beating Ruiz and Hughie in his title defences. I did not rate him as a top tier heavyweight and he handed the title to AJ when they faced one another in the unification bout.

Since Parker joined Andy Lee he has got considerably better, more aggressive and exciting to watch.

I predicted Parker would lose to Joyce and beat Wilder (as did Primo). So know Joseph is now a top tier heavyweight and should face Fury v Usyk winner for the title.

This fight is really tough for Parker.

Zhang is a huge unit, southpaw and coming from 2 sensational wins against Joyce. Unless Zhang gets old, tires quickly in the contest and Parker's speed is too much for him I can only see Zhang winning.

Saying all that I would be rooting for Joseph Parker.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Zhang is a massive danger to any HW out there.
    Parker goes bye bye in 6 .
    i think it goes longer, maybe even the distance
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to agree with Al. As much as I would like to see Parker do well (my youngest brother is a massive fan? ) I can't see him being able to avoid Zhang all night who will throw a lot more than Milder , and will simply walk through a lot of Parkers work. Zhang to stop him at some point.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm probably biased but I think Parker is a very live dog in this fight
    He's shown improvement with each fight under Andy Lee
    Zhang is 40 & has never had the best gas tank
    He looked frightening against Joyce twice
    But Joyce's art of defending with his head was always going to run into trouble against a puncher eventually
    I just can't shake the image of how bad Zhang looked only a few years ago against Jerry Forrest
    I think Parkers biggest asset going into this fight is Andy Lee
    He was a genuine southpaw & will have Parker well schooled on fighting a southpaw
    It won't be easy but I see Parker taking another big heavyweight scalp

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I have to agree with Al. As much as I would like to see Parker do well (my youngest brother is a massive fan? ) I can't see him being able to avoid Zhang all night who will throw a lot more than Milder , and will simply walk through a lot of Parkers work. Zhang to stop him at some point.
    Rooting for Zhang big time. Great story and is earning every bit bigger fights. I'm just glad we have two top dogs coming off of great momentum and going right at the other. I was impressed with Parker dominating Wilder. Kept poise and worked a top game plan. What I worry about with Zhang is late stamina, he'll have to keep a faster pace with Parker but overall, like Zhang to win. But I wouldn't sleep on Parker and his career reboot.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joyce who is slower than a than the mummy, can outwork and stop Parker. Big Bang will punch holes through him.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m really not sure about this one, it’s a proper 50-50 match up in my book.
    I’ve never rated Wilder , but Parker must get some confidence and momentum from beating him.
    But I don’t want to underestimate Zhang, he deserves respect.
    I’m gonna go with Parker on points. But don’t ask me tomorrow because I might go with Zhang.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joyce who is slower than a than the mummy, can outwork and stop Parker. Big Bang will punch holes through him.
    triangle theories don't usually work but i also think zhilei either gets joe out of there around the nineth or joe survives to lose a decision
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just consider that the best showing of Zhang came vs the same slow as a mummy Joyce and one after the 1st battering and busted eye. And he pooped out with an almost as slow Hrgovic just prior. Wouldn't be shocked to see a nice equally fast pace early to mid. Just looking forward to that one, for me it's the main event on the card with the circus main event.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The closer the fight has gotten the greater my confidence in Parker has grown
    I'm hoping to see Parker move, work the body & set a high pace
    Zhang will be dangerous early
    Parker will control the late rounds

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone have an idea of accurate start times in the States? Going to be a race to close up early and at least catch this one. Career high weight for Zhang wonder if he's going for an early to mid statement. Still picking Zhang but think (hope) Parker shows up big.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Anyone have an idea of accurate start times in the States? Going to be a race to close up early and at least catch this one. Career high weight for Zhang wonder if he's going for an early to mid statement. Still picking Zhang but think (hope) Parker shows up big.
    The main event is AJ which is due to start at 11 pm over here.i assume the Parker fight will be an hour before.

Thread Information