Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since Pavlik isn't fighting Bute - what do you guys think of Quillin or Pirog?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Since Pavlik isn't fighting Bute - what do you guys think of Quillin or Pirog?

Fat Dan is alleging that's the current rumor - Pirog or Quillin taking the place of Pavlik for Bute's November fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Since Pavlik isn't fighting Bute - what do you guys think of Quillin or Pirog?

Neither are bad opponents, especially considering who else is available. I thought Pirog looked really handy against Jacobs but have nothing else to rate his chances by, I don't think he's fought at super middle either? He didn't look big against Jacobs, and didn't really have to take any big shots. I really think Bute is one of the best offensive fighters out there, you need to be durable to get to him I reckon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Since Pavlik isn't fighting Bute - what do you guys think of Quillin or Pirog?

Arthur Abraham
    Andre Dirrell
    Anthony Dirrell
    Mikkel Kessler
    Bernard Hopkins
    Robert Stieglitz
    And . . .

All opponents I will like to see Bute fight!!!

Then the winner of the Super 6

BTW . . .
    Boxrec having Jermain taylor pencil in soon. Not saying he's worthy of a title shot, but he could be on his way back. Any word on who that maybe?
    Last edited by Ant Live; 08-05-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    Arthur Abraham
    Andre Dirrell
    Anthony Dirrell
    Mikkel Kessler
    Bernard Hopkins
    Robert Stieglitz
    And . . .

All opponents I will like to see Bute fight!!!

Then the winner of the Super 6

BTW . . .
    Boxrec having Jermain taylor pencil in soon. Not saying he's worthy of a title shot, but he could be on his way back. Any word on who that maybe?
    Glen Johnson is looking like he is in the mix to get a shot at Bute too.

Of the guys you mentioned, Anthony Dirrell isn't ready for Bute and won't ever be ready for Bute, Steiglitz is set to fight Kessler, so, both of them are out, I doubt we'll see Andre Dirrell on Showtime anytime soon, and the only top dog he needs to see is Andre Ward because it looked like he ducked that fight the last time around. Taylor - do you have something against him? Putting in with Bute? That would be a death sentence. Hopkins and Bute could be fun in a year, but for now, Bute is staying at 168. Abraham has expressed his intentions to go back to 160. It's a shame Kessler choose another route, that would have been a good one. Although it seems like Glen Johnson loses when he steps up (Froch, Cloud, Dawson second time around), he brings pressure and the fight would be fun to watch. Johnson hasn't been stopped since BHOP more than 10 years ago, so, it would say something about Bute, if he could do that.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the weight Quillen is the only guy availabe I'd like to see. No interest in an Abraham fight, or a Johnson fight really. The outcomes of both are pretty much assured. Qillen is at least winning his fights and is undefeated.

I know he's at 175 but I'd love to see Britains own Nathan Cleverly take him on, that's a great matchup imo.

Who knows, mayne Goerge Groves could step up. He'd give it a good go at least. Guys like Abraham and Johnson have had their shots, how many title fights do these guys expect?

Johnson must be something like 0-5 in his last world title attempts and Abraham has lost 3 straight fights.

Give Quillen or Groves a go.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pirog looked really sub-par in his last fight, nothing on his shots getting caught a lot. I honestly think Jacobs could take him easily in a rematch. Plus he's gotta a small frame for being over 6' I think he would have a hard time being effective at 168. Quillin needs to fight someone else of note before getting a shot a Bute IMO. I think Quillin should fight Andrade or someone durable and steady like that, someone that can take Quillin to deeper waters.

I honestly think Bute is fine taking some lame opponent, because the only meaningful fight left for him at Super Middle is the winner of the S6 and that's not until October.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have had the opportunity to see quite a bit of Quillen. He is not a physically imposing guy but he has very fast hands and he hits very hard. I know he is talking title fight now but the comment about him needing to step up and fight someone before getting the shot is valid. He has never taken a difficult fight. Several years ago he was tested in a fight when he was made to back up. The guy is a stalker; he wants to come forward and let his hands go.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Pirog looked really sub-par in his last fight, nothing on his shots getting caught a lot. I honestly think Jacobs could take him easily in a rematch. Plus he's gotta a small frame for being over 6' I think he would have a hard time being effective at 168. Quillin needs to fight someone else of note before getting a shot a Bute IMO. I think Quillin should fight Andrade or someone durable and steady like that, someone that can take Quillin to deeper waters.

I honestly think Bute is fine taking some lame opponent, because the only meaningful fight left for him at Super Middle is the winner of the S6 and that's not until October.
    Sheep, I know you're one person who isn't high on Pirog or is very high on Jacobs. I'm probably in the middle, you can't take away that Pirog knocked Jacobs out hard. On the other hand, Pirog looked flat in his last performance. In any event, Jacobs is out indefinitely due to illness (if I recall, he had a lump removed from his spine).

I agree with you about Quillin. He needs an Andradeesque fight before he steps up.

Bilbo - I don't it would be a good business decision for Groves right now to take a Bute fight because he's flying high on his win over Degale. It seems like the risk wouldn't be worth it at this point. He might as well milk his domestic popularity for at least a little while.

I think the winner or loser of the S6 would be a good fight to be honest, meaning Carl Froch or Andre Ward.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No matter what happens until he gets the big bouts, Bute has to stay active and sharp. He can't just hang around or fight someone that doesn't enhance his skills.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Sheep, I know you're one person who isn't high on Pirog or is very high on Jacobs. I'm probably in the middle, you can't take away that Pirog knocked Jacobs out hard. On the other hand, Pirog looked flat in his last performance. In any event, Jacobs is out indefinitely due to illness (if I recall, he had a lump removed from his spine).

I agree with you about Quillin. He needs an Andradeesque fight before he steps up.

Bilbo - I don't it would be a good business decision for Groves right now to take a Bute fight because he's flying high on his win over Degale. It seems like the risk wouldn't be worth it at this point. He might as well milk his domestic popularity for at least a little while.

I think the winner or loser of the S6 would be a good fight to be honest, meaning Carl Froch or Andre Ward.
    Maybe but he wouldn't have to win to boost his career. A solid effort would raise his profile, a loss to a solid world champion before you get into your prime doesn't harm a career.

Michale Watson went straight into a world title fight against Mike McCallum after taking Nigel Benn's commonwealth title as did Steve Dollins after only 20 fights or so.

True they both lost but it didn't harm their careers, they want on to have their biggest fights afterwards.

It won't happen but I'd rather see Groves fight Bute than Johnson just to see someone different. People always go on about how Johnson is always unlucky on the scorecards but even Rocky Juarez hasn't had as many different chances to win belts as him.

He's had 5 failed title shots in a row now, 6 if you count Tarver's IBO crown. Can't we just force him to win at least one significant fight before he gets another crack?
    Last edited by Kev; 08-05-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both these guys are Middleweights. Not really Bute's fault this time, but he hasn't got many options. I'd like to see him in with Johnson given all the options. Or a Pascal fight would at least be big.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Both these guys are Middleweights. Not really Bute's fault this time, but he hasn't got many options. I'd like to see him in with Johnson given all the options. Or a Pascal fight would at least be big.
    He'll fight PAscal in 3-4 fights, Bute's clan just said that the day he climbs up in weight, he'll remain at 175. From what I've heard, he starts to have difficulty to make weight, that fight is seeable in a middle range future.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Maybe but he wouldn't have to win to boost his career. A solid effort would raise his profile, a loss to a solid world champion before you get into your prime doesn't harm a career.

Michale Watson went straight into a world title fight against Mike McCallum after taking Nigel Benn's commonwealth title as did Steve Dollins after only 20 fights or so.

True they both lost but it didn't harm their careers, they want on to have their biggest fights afterwards.

It won't happen but I'd rather see Groves fight Bute than Johnson just to see someone different. People always go on about how Johnson is always unlucky on the scorecards but even Rocky Juarez hasn't had as many different chances to win belts as him.

He's had 5 failed title shots in a row now, 6 if you count Tarver's IBO crown. Can't we just force him to win at least one significant fight before he gets another crack?
    I hear you on that, but Johnson has been relatively competitive in a lot of those matches. Take the Froch fight, it's not like he was destroyed out there. He was beat but he brought pressure and it was a fun fight to watch.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

I hear you on that, but Johnson has been relatively competitive in a lot of those matches. Take the Froch fight, it's not like he was destroyed out there. He was beat but he brought pressure and it was a fun fight to watch.
    Yeah I know, it's just a shame there is nobody better out there. I appreciate his willingness to keep on battling it's just we know the outcome already, it will be a competitive fight for 12 rounds but Bute will hold on to his belt.

Whenever I hear Glen Johnson or Rocky Juarez have a title shot my eyes just glaze over.

To be honest I feel the same with Katsidis. I know people find him exciting but he's another predictable fade down the stretch. Knowing the outcome before just takes away the appeal for me. I son't just mean that they will lose, I mean the manner of it.

Bute vs Johnson W12 you can put your house on it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, that is true although it would be impressive if Bute stopped him. Who else is there? I mean I was really disappointed that Kessler went another route. That was a decent duck-job. I wonder if Kessler will go back to Denmark and finish out his boxing days fighting bums?

Thread Information