Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Did You See Oscar's Close fights?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Did You See Oscar's Close fights?

Pretty simple question, Oscar had a lot of close fights in his career, most of them were big ones too. So I was wondering how you saw them. I picked 6, I didn't include the first Mosley fight because I really doubt anyone thinks De La Hoya won but I do think he performed really well in that fight in what is a very underrated fight but one of my favorites of all time. Great mix of action, tactics and skill with contrasting styles. I've grown to really like Oscar in these past few months, shame how he went out.

Whitaker
    Quartey
    Trinidad
    Mosley II
    Sturm
    Mayweather

How did you score them and if you can't remember how you scored it do you at least remember who you thought won?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Did You See Oscar's Close fights?

Mayweather-oscar wasn't close at all could 9-3 or 8-4 in favor of Mayweather anything less in his favor is poor judging, just because he had his back to the ropes a few times doesn't make him lose a round.

Oscar-Whitaker: I had Oscar winning, his right hand landed a lot and pretty hard, by a round or two I had Oscar winning this fight.

Trinidad-Oscar: one of the worst robberies I've ever seen, Oscar dominated him for 9 rounds and made Trinidad look terrible. People are blind if they didn't give Oscar the first 9 rounds, it was a boxing lesson.

Sturm-Oscar: IMO not that close, Sturm clearly won the fight.

Quartey-OScar: I had Quartey up by a round or two at the end.

Oscar-Mosley II: Oscar outboxed him, and out landed Mosley by a huge margin, IMO he definitely deserved the win in a competitive but decisive fight where he didn't let Mosley get off with much regularity at all.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So I'm an ass and don't actually have any of those scored and with me. I scored the first 3 not to long ago, just within the past couple weeks.

I thought Whitaker clearly won their fight and the scores were attroscious. I used to not feel that way, but once I rewatched it I thought it was an easy call really, even with the crap point deduction that the WBC made Mills Lane enforce, that Whitaker won. 117-111 is how one judge had it I think, ridiculous but that was Whitaker's luck.

I also thought Quartey won their fight, but I can't really complain about that one because in the 12th round where it mattered most Oscar came up huge with the knockdown and then almost the knockout. Still, I thought Quartey hd enough rounds in the bag to carry that one narrowly, I think like 114-113 or some crazy slim margin like that. Great fight, should have been a rematch I don't know exactly why one never got made. I know Quartey took that one tough but Oscar pulled that one out when he had to in what imo is one of his better performances as a pro. His 12th round there was more epic then the 11th against Vargas imo, even Lampley's commentating was more epic and no crying.

I thought Oscar outboxed and beat Trinidad and can't be convinced otherwise. I know he ran for the last few rounds but really I don't think he dropped more then 1 or 2 of the first 10 rounds, probably 2 but really that was a great De La Hoya performance if only he would have traded a bit more and not physically ran at some points he would have been good. His footwork and defense in that fight was as good as it ever was at any point of his career. Funny because that's really the only time Oscar ever fought like that, on the back foot but obviously it didn't work out for him.

I thought he beat Mosley too, he defended the right hand better for the most part, slipped a lot more and unlike the first fight, he had the better of the right hands. Not as good as the first fight because both guys were better on defense but I thought Oscar nudged it. Wasn't an outright robbery but I do think he won.

Felix Sturm got robbed, that's what I remember thinking when I first saw the fight and to be honest I don't know if I've seen it since. I doubt I would feel much differently, this one is pretty much universal.

No way Oscar beat Mayweather but I did include it because certain people feel that way. At the very best he won 5 rounds and there is no way you could say he won any more of that because the rounds Mayweather won were very clear and concise, they were his rounds. Initially I had given De La Hoya the 12th, upon rewatching I gave it to Floyd. 116-112 for that one, 115-113 best case scenario imo.

So I had him 2-4 in his close €fights while he actually went 3-3, what's interesting is that the fights he did win, all of them, I don't think he actually won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can you take Mayweather off that list, just seeing that up there makes me know i will be angry for Decades having to listen how a great boxing effort by Mayweather will be soiled by meaningless flurries and screaming fans. Mayweather's defense was amazing in that fight, he out jabbed Oscar almost 2 to 1, he hurt Oscar, he stood toe to toe, he took Oscar's best shots, he countered OScar off the ropes, he made Oscar look stupid when Oscar had him on the ropes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure this was done a few weeks ago

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    I'm sure this was done a few weeks ago
    I wasn't here a few weeks ago.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought DLH beat Whitaker by a round, ad that point back on & its a draw

I thought Quartey won narrowly by a point, but Oscar rose to the occasion in that last round

Oscar clearly beat Trinidad

I had DLH ahead 115-113 in the Mosley rematch I think

Sturm was robbed to save the Hopkins superfight

Oscar lost by a couple of points at least to Mayweather
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i say he lost bad to sturm and by a few points to quartey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

out of those the only two that i though he won was mosley 2 and tito. he lost the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosely II - Oscar won

Trinidad - Oscar had the win but then coasted to a defeat. Did he give up enough to earn the L? I don't think so but the judges decided otherwise. I'm slightly divided. Oscar shouldn't have coasted ... he agrees ... but did he really give up enough points that Trinidad wins? I dont think so ...

Mayweather - If it had been the 'night of the jab' all night Oscar might have been able to beat Mayweather. But it wasn't the night of the jab. Mayweather wins.

Sturm - not to take anything away from Sturm, but surprisingly and embarrasingly Oscar loses.
    Last edited by NuthaPug; 04-30-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with all the verdicts except the Sturm, Trinidad, and Mosley II fights.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NuthaPug View Post
    Mosely II - Oscar won

Trinidad - Oscar had the win but then coasted to a defeat. Did he give up enough to earn the L? I don't think so but the judges decided otherwise. I'm slightly divided. Oscar shouldn't have coasted ... he agrees ... but did he really give up enough points that Trinidad wins? I dont think so ...

Mayweather - If it had been the 'night of the jab' all night Oscar might have been able to beat Mayweather. But it wasn't the night of the jab. Mayweather wins.

Sturm - not to take anything away from Sturm, but surprisingly and embarrasingly Oscar loses.
    Mayweather out jabbed Oscar -.-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Pretty simple question, Oscar had a lot of close fights in his career, most of them were big ones too. So I was wondering how you saw them. I picked 6, I didn't include the first Mosley fight because I really doubt anyone thinks De La Hoya won but I do think he performed really well in that fight in what is a very underrated fight but one of my favorites of all time. Great mix of action, tactics and skill with contrasting styles. I've grown to really like Oscar in these past few months, shame how he went out.

Whitaker
    Quartey
    Trinidad
    Mosley II
    Sturm
    Mayweather

How did you score them and if you can't remember how you scored it do you at least remember who you thought won?
    TBH! I don't remember the Whitaker fight at all! It's been such a long time and I never revisited that one.

VS Quartey: Quartey won IMO by staying on his feet. I had him ahead but by the narrowest of margins.

VS Trinidad: No way Trinidad won that fight. BUT! A piece of me was satisfied with the decision because of how Oscar just ran during the championship rounds.

VS Mosely II: I had Oscar winning, but it was still a close fight. Not too devastated about the actual outcome.

VS Sturm: Sturm got robbed.

VS Mayweather: It was competitive for the first 6 rounds (I even had Oscar ahead coming into the 7th). The second half of the fight was a different story. Mayweather controlled it the rest of the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whittaker - 114-112 - de la hoya did more than enough to win the fight

Quartey - 113-112 de-la hoya dead level going into the last but a stunning comeback from oscar who almost got ike out of there at the end.

Trinidad - 115-113 Trinidad de la hoya dominated the 1st half of the fight but faded badly towards the end and i think ended up losing the last 5 odd rounds.

Mosley II - 115-113 Mosley I had shane outworking him for a second successive narrow win.

Sturm - 114-114 Draw Those that claim sturm was completely robbed obviously didnt pay close enough attention to the fight. The 3 same scorecards did seem a bit suspiscious but its not the 1st time and wont be the last will it.

Mayweather - 114-114 Draw Arguably oscars best performance of his career and having watched the fight over and over again i still have ODLH doing enough to take 6 rounds, had he not of faded towards the end he would of pulled it off!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How the fuck did you have Oscar scoring a draw in the Mayweather fight please give me the rounds you gave Oscar so I can disect your scorecard. Do people honestly think not landing punches wins you rounds?

Thread Information