Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who hits harder?

Thread: Who hits harder: Kovalev or Stevenson?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who hits harder: Kovalev or Stevenson?

We know both of them hit hard. But who do you think is the harder puncher of the two?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who hits harder: Kovalev or Stevenson?

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    We know both of them hit hard. But who do you think is the harder puncher of the two?
    Toughie... one punch, ko power? I'd say Stevenson. Stevenson stops fights off of one punch. Kovalev scrambles you, but you get back up only to be hit several times again- so, the ref may as well had stopped it when you got hit the first time. lolololol......

But, Kovalev is the CLEANER of the two. He hits you more cleanly and solidly than Stevenson does. Probably why his punches and ko percentage are well above average or as high as Stevenson's.

But, Stevenson is a guy you don't want to have anything land on you. Not one punch.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Toughie... one punch, ko power? I'd say Stevenson. Stevenson stops fights off of one punch. Kovalev scrambles you, but you get back up only to be hit several times again- so, the ref may as well had stopped it when you got hit the first time. lolololol......

But, Kovalev is the CLEANER of the two. He hits you more cleanly and solidly than Stevenson does. Probably why his punches and ko percentage are well above average or as high as Stevenson's.

But, Stevenson is a guy you don't want to have anything land on you. Not one punch.
    I agree, Stevenson can ends fights with one punch.

Whereas Kovalev is more of a mauler, he will drop you then drop you again until you stop.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kovalev's a great finisher. Once he has his man hurt, he goes for the kill.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting question. I will take the analysis a step farther and say that they are two different kinds of power. Stevenson has that power thatched from speed and punching "loose". Guys like prime Roy (faster than Stevenson though)...etc. Stevenson is pretty fast and his movement opens the other guy up because he is a lefty n unorthodox as well, Stevenson is GREAT at recognizing that opening n having the reflexes to capitalize. The punches r hard, but the fact that the other guy doesn't see it makes it that much worse for him n Adonis usually stops the guy.

Kovalev, in my opinion, probably hits a little harder but is slower. He sets his shots up better, and generates power through his hips and by keeping his body position tighter. Kind of like Joe Louis did back in the day. He works in close with a right guard, and is able to concuss the other guy with a single short, straight, compact punch.

Tough to say who wins between the two in my opinion. I can see Adonis being too fast n unorthodox for Kovalev. I can also see Kovalev setting Adonis up n landing the big shot. Great match up n I think Adonis is more versatile n has more options, but Kovalev is durable n a very accurate n hard puncher

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Kovalev has underrated foot speed. Being a good finisher requires good foot speed.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One more point I forgot to include: while I think Stevenson has more options, I don't think he believes he can beat Kovalev n I don't think he wants anything to do with fighting him. I think Hop will capitalize on it though. Kovalev is made for him...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    One more point I forgot to include: while I think Stevenson has more options, I don't think he believes he can beat Kovalev n I don't think he wants anything to do with fighting him. I think Hop will capitalize on it though. Kovalev [STEVENSON] is made for him...
    They both hit hard. They both are two of the bigger punchers in the game, which is why a fight between the two was so tantalizing. It's a shame it won't happen.

I think you meant Stevenson in your post @mikeeod because Stevenson will face Hopkins after he beats Fonfara.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hop matches up better with Kovalev. I don't see him fighting Stevenson. Adonis is too mobile n fast. Just a hunch, so u may be correct n I may be wrong.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I think Hop matches up better with Kovalev. I don't see him fighting Stevenson. Adonis is too mobile n fast. Just a hunch, so u may be correct n I may be wrong.
    From what I gather, Stevenson signed with Haymon so that he could get the fight with the Hopkins/Shumenov winner.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stevenson has better one punch power. Kovalev has better technique and thus better leverage on all his shots so he punches harder more often. But one explosive shot, Stevenson.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kovalev has heavier hands while stevenson has more pop..

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure Stevens signed to fight Hop, but I think after Dawson twice Hop knows not to take that one. Big punchers who look for the ko n move in straight lines back n forth like Kovalev (Pavilik, Cloud, Tito...etc.) present zero problems for hop cause he is smart, great defensively, n still has a good chin.

Guys that r quick n mobile n stay active like Adonis does (Taylor, Roy, Joe C....etc.) give Hop issues. Hop isn't scared of anyone, but he knows his limitations at his age n won't be in a rush to fight Adonis. UNLESS, he has seen something he feels he can exploit. I just view it as a horrible match up for Hop at this point in his career. If he unifies n beats Kov n Shum, then maybe he fights Adonis as a last fight type of thing.

Thread Information