Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez v Caleb Plant - bring on undisputed

I bought the fight and I bet on Plant- not a huge bet ($500) but I thought maybe he would be tricky and slick enough to score the upset. I thought it was a good fight- Canelo puts on a ton of pressure and Plant wilted. Good win for Canelo and I think the guy is magnificent- he has a great resume and I love when fighters unify and clean divisions out.

Some thoughts on potential next fights:
    1. Charlo: Interesting fight for me as Canelo is small at 168 and Charlo is bigger, faster, and more explosive. I like Canelo more and don’t really like Charlo but this would be a really interesting fight in my opinion.
    2. Benevidas: Another really interesting fight against a much larger opponent. I think Canelo will be more mobile but Benevidas is a monster and is effective walking people down behind a great parry defense and strong jab.
    3. GGG: Great trilogy fight that should be more convincing this time for Canelo. GGG is older and I feel like he has regressed where Canelo has improved.
    4. Bivol/Beterbiev: Similar to when people wanted Floyd to fight Winky Wright and GGG- I’m intrigued by that fight and would pay to watch it but think it is a bridge too far and unfair to ask of Canelo. It also speaks volumes to their dominance that people feel their only viable challenges were far above their best/natural weights. I think both of those guys are too big and strong for Canelo- I don’t see him being competitive with either.

Thoughts on the Ward, Joe C, Froch discussion:
    1. Ward: Too big and too good/ versatile- I think he beats Canelo convincingly. No shame in that as Canelo is above his best weight and Ward is an ATG, and maybe the best 168 pounder ever.
    2. Joe C: This is a really intriguing fight as Joe was very mobile, fast, and active in his prime. I’m not sure that Canelo’s punches discourage or seriously hurt Joe, but I think that is possible. This would be a very good fight and I slightly favor Joe’s activity/volume and awkward style.
    3. Froch: Great match up. Canelo would have to use his legs and outbox Froch. Even with that, Froch could turn it on and walk him down- forcing a shootout. I like Froch in this one and think it is a bad style match up for Canelo.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only seen round 10 and 11 so far as I missed the repeat but Plant did well. Canelo landed a left hook that hurt Plant and the uppercut knocked him down. Plant was tumbling all over the place and was finished by the time Canelo knocked him down a second time.

Plant earned Canelo's respect.

Beterbiev would be the biggest challenge for Canelo at this moment in time.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"ANOTHER ONE !" ..............As DJ Khaled says

So Canelo becomes undisputed within 1 year.

And against 3 undefeated fighters

Very-Very impressive

Last year most people on here said the toughest opponents that Canelo would face and lose to were Saunders or Plant. Now that he smoked both of them people say they were C class fighters and no good.

Now Plant and a few months ago and Josh Kelly Vs David Avenesyan - This was another example of a FAILED Philly shell defense. Money's style doesn't work without counters guys. Only Floyd could do it cause he was fast AF with quick cat like reflexes.

Canelo DGAF about being out boxed by anyone; he just sticks to the plan and listens to Reynoso

I'm not accusing Canelo of anything but I do think it's more than interesting how a guy can move to 154 and look even stronger. He's gone from not having the power to beat Matthew Hatton to knocking out super middle weights and breaking arms of light heavyweights.

Or maybe he didnt have the man strength when he fought Hatton and Hatton had never been stopped until he met the then 20 year old Canelo.
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 11-07-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post

Very-Very impressive

Last year most people on here said the toughest opponents that Canelo would face and lose to were Saunders or Plant. Now that he smoked both of them people say they were C class fighters and no good.

Now Plant and a few months ago and Josh Kelly Vs David Avenesyan - This was another example of a FAILED Philly shell defense. Money's style doesn't work without counters guys. Only Floyd could do it cause he was fast AF with quick cat like reflexes.

Canelo DGAF about being out boxed by anyone; he just sticks to the plan and listens to Reynoso

I'm not accusing Canelo of anything but I do think it's more than interesting how a guy can move to 154 and look even stronger. He's gone from not having the power to beat Matthew Hatton to knocking out super middle weights and breaking arms of light heavyweights.

Or maybe he didnt have the man strength when he fought Hatton and Hatton had never been stopped until he met the then 20 year old Canelo.
    No one aside from the fake media called Saunders and Plant as any real tests to Canelo. Where do these people come from who are "calling" these fights? Everyone wants Canelo to fight the Charlo's or Andrade... That and they want, by some fantasy, for Andre Ward to come out of retirement.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

No one aside from the fake media called Saunders and Plant as any real tests to Canelo. Where do these people come from who are "calling" these fights? Everyone wants Canelo to fight the Charlo's or Andrade... That and they want, by some fantasy, for Andre Ward to come out of retirement.

THANK YOU, @ykdadamaja

I've only been calling Plant a hyped-up bum dredged up to give Canelo an easy win since Day One.

So I have NO IDEA in hell where this came from.

Maybe I should've mentioned it a million more times.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very-Very impressive

jermall & demetrius have done nothing at one sixty eight. andre would get raped. canelo should tuned up against david b in may before moving to one seventy five
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched the 12minute highlight reel. Canelo walked him down, cut the ring off. Plant showed some nice jabs, but it seemed like at anytime- Canelo could have put his foot on the gas tank as Caleb made it clear he prefferred to back away & counter. Saw a round where Canelo went to the ropes (seemed like on his own) and he still was dominant.

Plant is a good boxer, but I think this shows how dominant Alvaraz has become. He can fight backing up, he can take the fight to his foe.

as far as the board's take...well I, the self-professed resident researcher.. @Spicoli has the most ground covered on Plant. His threads IMO were clear
    1. Plant is a damn good boxer.
    2. Just don't think he is in Canelo's league.

At one point he gave credit to Plant for wanting Canelo so soon- but Spicoli questioned where this confidence comes from.

Last- I didn't care for Plant's response the next day, he didnt even mention Canelo's name. Yeah he can come back...so as long as Canelo aint around.

Congrats- Anytime a fighter cleans their division out- that should be the record(s) fighters want to break or set.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

Very-Very impressive

jermall & demetrius have done nothing at one sixty eight. andre would get raped. canelo should tuned up against david b in may before moving to one seventy five
    Has there been a policy shift from Team Canelo to avoid black fighters ? Terence Crawford thinks so .

I'm not saying it because Mayweather is slick and that was his only loss bcoz we can all point to a black fighter that isn't slick.

But Canelo has only fought one black fighter in his last 13 fights (Danny Jacobs) and thing I don't see Charlo or Andrade as great fighters.

When you look at past great black amd white fighters of recent around his weight.

Canelo beats RJJ (I could be wrong on this one) but this looks like a JCC - Meldrick Taylor fight. Where RJJ is boxing Nelo's ears but eventually Canelo ends up nailing him. Hopkins and Andre Ward I see Canelo outworking them to a UD. Hopkins and Ward were unathletic safety first fighters and that'd mean they wouldn't rack up enough points to get the decision. Nigel Benn ? To strong for him. Eubank ? More chance than Ben but still go Canelo. Froch ? Easy work.

There are only two fighters of recent history I don't see Canelo beating

James Toney and Joe Calzaghe

Joe Calzaghe would be too fast and quick and he had a good chin and James Toney beats Canelo (Which shows how styles makes fights because I see RJJ always beatiing Toney even though I think Nelo beats RJJ) Toney had a granite chin and IMO better skills than Nelo.
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 11-08-2021 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No body beats Roy Jones Jnr. He does not lose a second of a minute of a round of the fight against Canelo.

You said Canelo could not knock out light middle weights and now suddenly he is stopping supermiddles and light heavyweights. Something is not right.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Canelo gets beat by a Welterweight (albeit an exceptional one.), but he beats nearly every SMW In history? Nah.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    No body beats Roy Jones Jnr. He does not lose a second of a minute of a round of the fight against Canelo.
    You know what ? You could very well be right

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    So Canelo gets beat by a Welterweight (albeit an exceptional one.), but he beats nearly every SMW In history? Nah.
    Again. You could be right for sure. I'm normally quite certain on my opinions but saying Canelo beats RJJ and other past great super middle weights, not certain at all but even the Mayweather fight was very competitive. YouTube the fight. Mayweather didn't run him out the ring as what ppl think.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

You said Canelo could not knock out light middle weights and now suddenly he is stopping supermiddles and light heavyweights. Something is not right.
    I agree. Prime RJJ set the trend for punchstats rearing zero-3 times hit per round!

However on the 2nd sentence- something's not right that Canelo sparks the heavier fighters is how I feel about a guy from the Phillipines...they both have something in common-

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I edited the previous as Pac was KO'ing boxers since he began. So I should correct myself & state he somehow kept his power as he went up in weight whereas Canelo was similar to that of Margarito- he, gained power as he went up.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not certain at all but even the Mayweather fight was very competitive. YouTube the fight. Mayweather didn't run him out the ring as what ppl think.

Damn... you're on a roll. First you claim EVERYONE on here had said Canelo would lose to Plant, blatantly ignoring the fact that SOME of us had called Plant an overhyped bum of a Canelo opponent since Day One.

NOW, you claim that the Canelo-Mayweather fight was (cough)... "very competitive."

I'd like to smoke what you're smoking.

No. Mayweather didn't run Canelo out of the ring that night. He walked him out politely. It was an embarrassingly one-sided whitewash which perfectly illustrated the point that...

"Just because someone claims to belong in the same ring with the world's p4p at the time, doesn't mean he actually belongs there. That goes double for his legions of fans."

But I did some homework.

I set out to find an article... ANY article... that would list the Canelo fight as one of Floyd's toughest.

I thought maybe this one. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14030...na-logan-paul/

Nope. This one listed... Emanuel Augustus, Jose Luis Castillo I, DLH, Cotto, Maidana. Alas... no Canelo.

Ok, so I thought maybe Bleacher Report. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eathers-career

Let's see... in order... Castillo I, Maidana, Castillo II, DLH, Augustus, Cotto, Judah, Mosley. Nope. No Canelo to be seen here either.

For sure Pundit Arena.

They've got... Castillo I, Maidana, DLH, Cotto, Carlos Hernandez. Damn... no Canelo here either.

Starting to get the picture?

Let's look at punch stats, shall we?

Floyd Mayweather outlanded Canelo in EVERY...... SINGLE...... ROUND. Sometimes by a 2:1 or even 3:1 margin.

Maybe when you say "very competitive", you were looking at it from CJ Ross's vantage point.

It's the only plausible explanation I would be able to come up with.

Let's face it. Canelo was gifted the opportunity to step into the ring with Floyd Mayweather who.... albeit being the smaller man.... handed a HUMILIATING boxing lesson to Canelo... and a reality check to the legions of blind Canelo fans who demanded the fight in the first place.

Thread Information