Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2010 Draw

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default World Cup 2010 Draw

I wanted to go ahead and make the thread since the groups have already been seeded and the draw is Friday. Of course I want to know what people think of the groups and which group is the "Group of Death" but I want to know the best likely scenarios for the US.

I for one would LOVE for the US to be in England's group win or lose it would be more fun that way

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Cup 2010 Draw

US ( United States ) and Football, still makes me laugh !

Would love to have them in our group, a certain 3 pts one would hope!

Was it France98 when the US were paired Iraq in the group stage, talk about irony

Regards England and the World Cup, just hope we dont carry on with being a quarter final team. Yet under the charge of Capello one feels we can at least make the semi's, just need to avoid Brazil if we can do that till the final then, yea we have a good chance this time around
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice to see our boys seeded....

nightmare scenario....

England
    France
    Mexico
    Ivory Coast

dream scenario....

England
    Slovakia
    Honduras
    North Korea
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

nightmare scenario....

England
    France
    Mexico
    Ivory Coast

dream scenario....

England
    Slovakia
    Honduras
    North Korea
    I see you've read the papers today...

Slovakia actually have some half-decent players. Hamsik and Skrtel. Watch out for Weiss aswell. Young lad at City. Scored against Arsenal last night and ripped Jonny Evans a new arsehole in the qualifiers.

The seeding seems a little weird. 4th seeds seem almost as strong as the 2nd seeds.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think we should be expected semis no less this time, I dont think we will win it, seedings are a bit silly.

Spain for me !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

nightmare scenario....

England
    France
    Mexico
    Ivory Coast

dream scenario....

England
    Slovakia
    Honduras
    North Korea

Slovakia actually have some half-decent players. Hamsik and Skrtel. Watch out for Weiss aswell. Young lad at City. Scored against Arsenal last night and ripped Jonny Evans a new arsehole in the qualifiers.

The seeding seems a little weird. 4th seeds seem almost as strong as the 2nd seeds.

only the 1st pot of south africa, brazil, italy, germany, england, holland, spain and argentina is seeded

The other 3 pots are all based on where the country qualified from as FIFA want to keep sides from the same continents apart!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nightmare scenario....

England
    France
    Mexico
    Ivory Coast

dream scenario....

England
    Slovakia
    Honduras
    North Korea

only the 1st pot of south africa, brazil, italy, germany, england, holland, spain and argentina is seeded

The other 3 pots are all based on where the country qualified from as FIFA want to keep sides from the same continents apart!!
    FIFA just seem to make there own rules up as they go, the first pot is off world rankings but France are higher than the English but England are in pot 1, im not complaining but how the hell did they come up with that?

Is It something to do with France not winning there group?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

FIFA just seem to make there own rules up as they go, the first pot is off world rankings but France are higher than the English but England are in pot 1, im not complaining but how the hell did they come up with that?

England had a far better qualification process

Think we actually got seeded as the 5th side so easily made it in with the big boys

You would think the world cup is pretty much between the seeded sides (not south africa obviously)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think we actually got seeded as the 5th side so easily made it in with the big boys

You would think the world cup is pretty much between the seeded sides (not south africa obviously)

Nah mate I just looked it up:

As I thought it wasnt nothing to do with qualification it was purely the world rankings minus the hosts, but apparently FIFA have gone off the rankings from October rather than the current ones, if FIFA had gone off the rankings when the seeds were announced England would of been pot 4 as England have dropped and France have risen since the October rankings. Now if that was on the other foot we probably wouldnt of heard the end of it, bit unfair on the French really.

Should of gone off the rankings when all teams had qualified for the WC meaning France would of been the last team seeded in pot one and England in pot 4, but like I said im not complaining .

England will avoid the biggest names in football when the World Cup draw is made on Friday, after Fabio Capello's team were named as one of the top eight seeds.
    France, the runners-up in 2006, and Portugal were the biggest losers after the organising committee for the South Africa tournament decided to base the seedings on the official Fifa world rankings as they stood in October 2009.
    The eight top seeds are South Africa as hosts, and, in order of October's rankings, Brazil, Spain, Holland, Italy, Germany, Argentina and England. The official Fifa rankings take in performances in all matches over the last four years, but are weighted towards competitive games and those played most recently.
    If the rankings from November 2009 had been used, England would have been ranked ninth and would have missed out to France, who would have been ranked seventh. But Jérôme Valcke, Fifa's general secretary, said it was fairer to base the seedings on the October rankings when all European teams had played the same number of games, ahead of the play-offs. Valcke denied that the controversy surrounding France's play-off with the Republic of Ireland was a factor in the decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah mate I just looked it up:

As I thought it wasnt nothing to do with qualification it was purely the world rankings minus the hosts, but apparently FIFA have gone off the rankings from October rather than the current ones, if FIFA had gone off the rankings when the seeds were announced England would of been pot 4 as England have dropped and France have risen since the October rankings. Now if that was on the other foot we probably wouldnt of heard the end of it, bit unfair on the French really.

Should of gone off the rankings when all teams had qualified for the WC meaning France would of been the last team seeded in pot one and England in pot 4, but like I said im not complaining .

England will avoid the biggest names in football when the World Cup draw is made on Friday, after Fabio Capello's team were named as one of the top eight seeds.
    France, the runners-up in 2006, and Portugal were the biggest losers after the organising committee for the South Africa tournament decided to base the seedings on the official Fifa world rankings as they stood in October 2009.
    The eight top seeds are South Africa as hosts, and, in order of October's rankings, Brazil, Spain, Holland, Italy, Germany, Argentina and England. The official Fifa rankings take in performances in all matches over the last four years, but are weighted towards competitive games and those played most recently.
    If the rankings from November 2009 had been used, England would have been ranked ninth and would have missed out to France, who would have been ranked seventh. But Jérôme Valcke, Fifa's general secretary, said it was fairer to base the seedings on the October rankings when all European teams had played the same number of games, ahead of the play-offs. Valcke denied that the controversy surrounding France's play-off with the Republic of Ireland was a factor in the decision.

The world rankings are nothing short of a joke

Remember england spending years behind the likes of USA and mexico just so those respective countrys could up their coefficent rankings to secure more world cup places

When Englands 2nd string side went over to america and beat the US team 2-0 to show the actual gap in class we went back down to 14 while the US side moved above the czech republic into 7th

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meh, I hope we don't get another hard group but I suspect we will. In the end it doesn't matter what kind of group the US or England get

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Meh, I hope we don't get another hard group but I suspect we will. In the end it doesn't matter what kind of group the US or England get

Bit harsh on you guys really, I dont understand where the Fifa are coming from??

" Lets have one pool that goes off ranking alone , then the other three pots off where you are situated in the world "

Surely they have to do it one way or the other?? I think teams like Portugal and France will be pissed I would be very pissed!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not really looking forward to it to be honest (which sounds a bit strange after the Confederations Cup), we lost an important player and I think were going to struggle to score goals, that's the thing about our team, Charlie Davies, who we lost, is not even really one of our top five players but we have no depth, nobody to replace him, I just feel like were going to go out in the first round.

I have to admit I laugh from time to time at England's lack of success but if they have a striker go out then they can put in Defoe, or Carlton Cole, Emile Heskey ( it just makes me laugh, he's not bad I guess) for whatever reason we never produce strikers, our two best attacking players are our attacking mids Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey. And Davies actually looked like a real actual goal scorer for a while there. Oh well.

Plus American soccer fans are kind of conspiracy theorists. If there's a sport where anti-Americanism could play some part it would be soccer/football and the World Cup, reasonable or not (probably not ) we kind of assume we'll get put in with three good teams.

Edit-I am looking forward to the World Cup overall, I love it, always have, since before I even knew there was a Premier League, etc. Just not looking forward to our chances.
    Last edited by OumaFan; 12-03-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle is going to come in and say yeah but what about Kenny Cooper? Honestly, meh. He's ok. I guess.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still have nightmares of Owen and Klose getting past our defenders. I wake up on cold sweat.
    We always fall short and truthfully the way we've been playing I doubt we even make it past the round of 16.

I think it'll be Brazil again, you whats funny anytime they talk about great sports dynasties they NEVER list Brazil, IMO the greatest sports dynasty ever.

As long as Spain faces Brazil they will never win. Spain's style is too slow of a tempo that allows Brazil to defend well and then counter.

Thread Information