Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why don't more fighter take a knee/standing 8 more often when hurt?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why don't more fighter take a knee/standing 8 more often when hurt?

I've seen guys really on queer street and runnin', runnin', staggering all over like a drunk, trying to stay on their feet---what ALL FOR ONE POINT Tryin' to keep it a 10-9 round instead of taking a knee and oh well swallowing a 10-8 round. It would have saved many a hurt fighter. Are they just too buzzzzzzzed to remember to take a frikkin knee??

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why don't more fighter take a knee/standing 8 more often when hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    I've seen guys really on queer street and runnin', runnin', staggering all over like a drunk, trying to stay on their feet---what ALL FOR ONE POINT Tryin' to keep it a 10-9 round instead of taking a knee and oh well swallowing a 10-8 round. It would have saved many a hurt fighter. Are they just too buzzzzzzzed to remember to take a frikkin knee??
    I have wondered this often myself. I believe it may be as you suggested, they are too buzzed to think enough to take the knee or it's because they believe they aren't hurt enough to waste giving away the point.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cool click back at ya must be the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I mean holy shite. Take a fuggin' knee, BIOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's FREE!!! It'll buy a good 8 or 9 secs. For cryin out loud.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wondered it myself in the past. I think in addition to reasons given it also comes down to the hurt fighter just being to macho/proud to take a knee.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah it's a good question. I suspect in the event that the stoppage is coming as a fighter is badly hurt, they are usually to concussed and therefore function on muscle memory alone, which would be to tie up or backpedal etc. When a guy is clearly rocked but perhaps has his senses, it's often best not to take the knee I'd imagine, as the damage has already been done by the first punch. It must be something really drilled into their heads by most trainers etc. Bouncing back from a round where you were rocked is hard enough without being an extra point in the whole. Obviously a lot of it is just machismo and pride as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You make a good point.

Alot of the time, I think a fighters pride won't let them take a knee.

Other times i think fighters don't get enough time to assess whether they need to take a knee or not and by that point they are getting shots thrown their way.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed to what is already said, too buzzed to think straight, or macho pride or do not want to give away a 2 point round in a close contest. Would have helped Bruno on many occasions.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Wondered it myself in the past. I think in addition to reasons given it also comes down to the hurt fighter just being to macho/proud to take a knee.
    BINGO !

That is the only reason I can see as to why guy's don't do it more often.

Well that and after watching what happened to Chop Chop Corley in his fight with Cotto a few years back...
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pride...Vargas after getting dropped by a textbook De la Hoya left bounced off the floor, shoulda waited cos that punch ended the fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's just unnatural and goes against everything a fighter is trained to do. If a guy is clear headed enough to understand the situation he wouldn't really be that hurt but it dies happen on instinct. It can be dangerous and iffy, Mathis jr did it vs Bowe and got cold cocked by Bowe basically ending the fight. Some guys lose the count. Years ago it happened to Rafael Ruelas vs Martin Quiroz...his corner was off count with refs and just blew it. Oddly...an iron chinned Mercer took a knee vs Holyfield even though being hurt and on the deck was very very foreign to him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand what you are saying from a stategical standpoint. However the last thing I want to watch is fighters taking a knee everytime they got in trouble. (ala Haye vs Klit although he had a bad pinkie toe). Fighters are meant to fight until they go down but I do see what you are saying if we are just talking winning vs losing. Just not something I want to see if abused. Although I don't begrudge Cotto for doing so and haven't seen it often.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    Pride...Vargas after getting dropped by a textbook De la Hoya left bounced off the floor, shoulda waited cos that punch ended the fight.
    Yeah pride got in the way of him thinking straight a few times. Fernando's whole style was built on pride, it didnt do him that many favors but got him the fights I suppose. You could get him emotionally involved at the interview prior to weigh in; never say die etc blah bl

You would think if a fighter was relying on a knockout to win cause he is so far behind on points and his corner had him there just for that reason and he was taking flack in the later rounds; they would tell him how it stands and to take a knee or a count this next round, You know order him to,hurt or not, but come out from it going all out as the other bloke comes for him. Catch em coming.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

great thread, thanks to all

great to see all the participation here.

Thread Information