Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    416
    Cool Clicks

    Default Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    Ok I have two videos here, showing just how powerful and knock out inducing these non western boxing punchers are.

    Can you tell me how to throw this technique?

    Ive tried to learn it from you tube etc and I may well have learnt it, but the only thing I have to go by is my punching bag and when I hit my bag with these punches, the bag barely reacts at all.

    The punch feels incredibly powerful in the air, the central fugal force is immense, and it reaches incredible speeds, but when it connects with the heavy bag my arm just gives way and it does barely bugger all to the bag. (Im wearing boxing gloves or bare fists)

    When I throw a normal hook with my arm bent at 90 degrees there is alot of bone structure behind the punch and my arm dosnt give way at all and there is a big impact on the bag.

    These russian hooks are very long range hooks and the way im doing them means they have no bone structure behind them im not sure if they are meant to have bone structure behind them like normal hooks or not? Do you know?

    Basically a russian hook is a very long range hook with huge speed/whip and power but im not sure if they have and solid structure to them or not?

    Here they are in action...






    and








    If anyone can tell me how its done I would be HUGELY MASSIVELY GRATEFUL!
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 02-01-2013 at 05:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    433
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    Take a seat, this may take a while!

    First of all, any blow delivered on the right spot will put you down. A blow landing flush on the chin, temples, soft spot below the right rib cage and the solar plexus will topple the sturdiest looking man.

    This is K1 (I believe). Their gloves, like most MMA these days, are significantly smaller than those used in boxing. The standard boxing gloves for professional fighting is 8 - 10 oz's depending on who you fight for. Standard gloves for MMA and K1 is half that or less. So that's one thing to consider.

    Coming off my last statement, MMA fighters DO NOT fight like boxers. Their version of boxing is most often a sad sad example of what boxing really is, and everything it isn't. If you're a professional boxer, you'd either have to be already stunned or just daft to catch such a wide and looping hook.

    Another thing to consider is...who are you? How tall are you? How long are your arms? How much do you weigh? Where are you at athletically? Answering these questions will help substantially in answering your question in the context of this giant Russian.

    Speaking of giant Russians. Here is something that may come to as a surprise to you. This is not, in fact, a Russian hook. It is a very common looping haymaker commonly seen in MMA. The man you happen to admire happens to be Russian. The fact that these hooks seem to do a lot of damage is because, well, they do a hell of a lot of damage! The main contributing factor is simply brute strength, but other factors are these: these men look to be heavyweights...heavyweights = heavy hands. And long arms, long arms, heavy hands create A LOT of torque. It's not uncommon to see knockouts in the heavyweight division because these men are so massive, but our heads are not meant to take that kind of punishment, no matter how large you are.

    So in conclusion, unless you're doing MMA, I wouldn't recommend you go on learning this kind of punch. It's a bad habit. Looping punches will only get you easily countered or have you missing. Stick with normal hooks!

    P.S. Always wrap your hands while hitting the bag. Hand injuries are no small thing, it can lead to very short term and painful ordeals, or very very very bad long term conditions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    416
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Som View Post
    Take a seat, this may take a while!

    First of all, any blow delivered on the right spot will put you down. A blow landing flush on the chin, temples, soft spot below the right rib cage and the solar plexus will topple the sturdiest looking man.

    This is K1 (I believe). Their gloves, like most MMA these days, are significantly smaller than those used in boxing. The standard boxing gloves for professional fighting is 8 - 10 oz's depending on who you fight for. Standard gloves for MMA and K1 is half that or less. So that's one thing to consider.

    Coming off my last statement, MMA fighters DO NOT fight like boxers. Their version of boxing is most often a sad sad example of what boxing really is, and everything it isn't. If you're a professional boxer, you'd either have to be already stunned or just daft to catch such a wide and looping hook.

    Another thing to consider is...who are you? How tall are you? How long are your arms? How much do you weigh? Where are you at athletically? Answering these questions will help substantially in answering your question in the context of this giant Russian.

    Speaking of giant Russians. Here is something that may come to as a surprise to you. This is not, in fact, a Russian hook. It is a very common looping haymaker commonly seen in MMA. The man you happen to admire happens to be Russian. The fact that these hooks seem to do a lot of damage is because, well, they do a hell of a lot of damage! The main contributing factor is simply brute strength, but other factors are these: these men look to be heavyweights...heavyweights = heavy hands. And long arms, long arms, heavy hands create A LOT of torque. It's not uncommon to see knockouts in the heavyweight division because these men are so massive, but our heads are not meant to take that kind of punishment, no matter how large you are.

    So in conclusion, unless you're doing MMA, I wouldn't recommend you go on learning this kind of punch. It's a bad habit. Looping punches will only get you easily countered or have you missing. Stick with normal hooks!

    P.S. Always wrap your hands while hitting the bag. Hand injuries are no small thing, it can lead to very short term and painful ordeals, or very very very bad long term conditions.


    Thanks for the reply I disagree, and time and time again people have a similar opinion to yourself, but its an ignorant one, no offense. Basically if you cant see the value of being able to slip and counter a straight punch at long range with a powerful fast (can be made tight) curved punch then I cant help you. Up until now no western boxer has been able to do this, but the russians figured out a way, where as westerners slowly evolved into using short hooks over time because they didnt know how to turn long swings into something effective. (These are not haymakers thats just a wreckless poor form boxing punch they are evolved whip strikes taken from traditional martial arts, but to the ignorant untrained eye they do look like haymakers, hence why these guys get a bad rap for their "boxing" despite KOing loads of boxers and rarely getting hit by straight punches or any punches, and despite not using western boxing (although they started off in western boxing and can do both but chose what was obviously working better), people think boxing is everything when it comes to punching but there are many ways to punch, boxing dosnt hold all the cards I believe it holds most of them but there are still different punches out there and different styles of punching that arnt boxing and are effective, so why not utilise a few of them if the rules allow it.

    I know cuban and russian boxers use simlar style punches to this one and they are some of the finest boxers on the planet.

    If anyone can tell me how to do this technique please let me know.
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 02-02-2013 at 07:31 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    433
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Som View Post
    Take a seat, this may take a while!

    First of all, any blow delivered on the right spot will put you down. A blow landing flush on the chin, temples, soft spot below the right rib cage and the solar plexus will topple the sturdiest looking man.

    This is K1 (I believe). Their gloves, like most MMA these days, are significantly smaller than those used in boxing. The standard boxing gloves for professional fighting is 8 - 10 oz's depending on who you fight for. Standard gloves for MMA and K1 is half that or less. So that's one thing to consider.

    Coming off my last statement, MMA fighters DO NOT fight like boxers. Their version of boxing is most often a sad sad example of what boxing really is, and everything it isn't. If you're a professional boxer, you'd either have to be already stunned or just daft to catch such a wide and looping hook.

    Another thing to consider is...who are you? How tall are you? How long are your arms? How much do you weigh? Where are you at athletically? Answering these questions will help substantially in answering your question in the context of this giant Russian.

    Speaking of giant Russians. Here is something that may come to as a surprise to you. This is not, in fact, a Russian hook. It is a very common looping haymaker commonly seen in MMA. The man you happen to admire happens to be Russian. The fact that these hooks seem to do a lot of damage is because, well, they do a hell of a lot of damage! The main contributing factor is simply brute strength, but other factors are these: these men look to be heavyweights...heavyweights = heavy hands. And long arms, long arms, heavy hands create A LOT of torque. It's not uncommon to see knockouts in the heavyweight division because these men are so massive, but our heads are not meant to take that kind of punishment, no matter how large you are.

    So in conclusion, unless you're doing MMA, I wouldn't recommend you go on learning this kind of punch. It's a bad habit. Looping punches will only get you easily countered or have you missing. Stick with normal hooks!

    P.S. Always wrap your hands while hitting the bag. Hand injuries are no small thing, it can lead to very short term and painful ordeals, or very very very bad long term conditions.


    Thanks for the reply I disagree, and time and time again people have a similar opinion to yourself, but its an ignorant one, no offense. Basically if you cant see the value of being able to slip and counter a straight punch at long range with a powerful fast (can be made tight) curved punch then I cant help you. Up until now no western boxer has been able to do this, but the russians figured out a way, where as westerners slowly evolved into using short hooks over time because they didnt know how to turn long swings into something effective. (These are not haymakers thats just a wreckless poor form boxing punch they are evolved whip strikes taken from traditional martial arts, but to the ignorant untrained eye they do look like haymakers, hence why these guys get a bad rap for their "boxing" despite KOing loads of boxers and rarely getting hit by straight punches or any punches, and despite not using western boxing (although they started off in western boxing and can do both), people think boxing is everything when it comes to punching but there are many ways to punch boxing dosnt hold all the cards I believe it holds most of them but there are still different punches out there and different styles of punching that arnt boxing and are effective, so why not utilise a few of them if the rules allow it.

    I know cuban and russian boxers use simlar style punches to this one and they are some of the finest boxers on the planet.

    If anyone can tell me how to do this technique please let me know.
    No offense taken my friend. I'll be the first one to say that I could be wrong. If I am, I'd love to know how and why! I have an idea of what you are gettin' at. Perhaps I'm not quite there, or perhaps I don't have to go anywhere .
    I can see where you're gettin' at. Of course this would be a devastating shot as a counter. But to me, it's just too wide. On the top levels, I only see it getting countered.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    540
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    Where will you use this punches? You know that Vovchanchyn and Fedor break their hands really often?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    416
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Som View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Som View Post
    Take a seat, this may take a while!

    First of all, any blow delivered on the right spot will put you down. A blow landing flush on the chin, temples, soft spot below the right rib cage and the solar plexus will topple the sturdiest looking man.

    This is K1 (I believe). Their gloves, like most MMA these days, are significantly smaller than those used in boxing. The standard boxing gloves for professional fighting is 8 - 10 oz's depending on who you fight for. Standard gloves for MMA and K1 is half that or less. So that's one thing to consider.

    Coming off my last statement, MMA fighters DO NOT fight like boxers. Their version of boxing is most often a sad sad example of what boxing really is, and everything it isn't. If you're a professional boxer, you'd either have to be already stunned or just daft to catch such a wide and looping hook.

    Another thing to consider is...who are you? How tall are you? How long are your arms? How much do you weigh? Where are you at athletically? Answering these questions will help substantially in answering your question in the context of this giant Russian.

    Speaking of giant Russians. Here is something that may come to as a surprise to you. This is not, in fact, a Russian hook. It is a very common looping haymaker commonly seen in MMA. The man you happen to admire happens to be Russian. The fact that these hooks seem to do a lot of damage is because, well, they do a hell of a lot of damage! The main contributing factor is simply brute strength, but other factors are these: these men look to be heavyweights...heavyweights = heavy hands. And long arms, long arms, heavy hands create A LOT of torque. It's not uncommon to see knockouts in the heavyweight division because these men are so massive, but our heads are not meant to take that kind of punishment, no matter how large you are.

    So in conclusion, unless you're doing MMA, I wouldn't recommend you go on learning this kind of punch. It's a bad habit. Looping punches will only get you easily countered or have you missing. Stick with normal hooks!

    P.S. Always wrap your hands while hitting the bag. Hand injuries are no small thing, it can lead to very short term and painful ordeals, or very very very bad long term conditions.


    Thanks for the reply I disagree, and time and time again people have a similar opinion to yourself, but its an ignorant one, no offense. Basically if you cant see the value of being able to slip and counter a straight punch at long range with a powerful fast (can be made tight) curved punch then I cant help you. Up until now no western boxer has been able to do this, but the russians figured out a way, where as westerners slowly evolved into using short hooks over time because they didnt know how to turn long swings into something effective. (These are not haymakers thats just a wreckless poor form boxing punch they are evolved whip strikes taken from traditional martial arts, but to the ignorant untrained eye they do look like haymakers, hence why these guys get a bad rap for their "boxing" despite KOing loads of boxers and rarely getting hit by straight punches or any punches, and despite not using western boxing (although they started off in western boxing and can do both), people think boxing is everything when it comes to punching but there are many ways to punch boxing dosnt hold all the cards I believe it holds most of them but there are still different punches out there and different styles of punching that arnt boxing and are effective, so why not utilise a few of them if the rules allow it.

    I know cuban and russian boxers use simlar style punches to this one and they are some of the finest boxers on the planet.

    If anyone can tell me how to do this technique please let me know.
    No offense taken my friend. I'll be the first one to say that I could be wrong. If I am, I'd love to know how and why! I have an idea of what you are gettin' at. Perhaps I'm not quite there, or perhaps I don't have to go anywhere .
    I can see where you're gettin' at. Of course this would be a devastating shot as a counter. But to me, it's just too wide. On the top levels, I only see it getting countered.

    Hi mate, cheers for the gentleman like reply, yea as for it being too wide , it can be thrown tight and often he does throw it tight it just "looks" wide alot of the time although it does go wide alot too, basically to throw this long range hook tight you throw the arm out almost like a jab or half a jab and then as it nears the end of its trajectory or a bit before you snap the hips and shoulders elbow etc over . Its basically a cleverly designed punch that looks like a sloppy punch.

    Anyway good debate, will will have to agree to disagree until further evidence comes about.

    In the mean time does anyone know if it is purely whip like a backfist or is there soild bone structure behind it like a 90 boxing degree hook?
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 02-02-2013 at 10:08 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Up in the attic
    Posts
    26,460
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3916
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    Peter Som,top replies mate.

    This is a boxing forum first and foremost and I think your reply was perfect in that.

    OMGWTF, I think you'lll find that unless you caught out a boxer at exactly the right time; these long rage hooks that actually cover more tradjectory in distance- but have a lot of momentum behind them (because you have to be on the move to get 100% out of them): will be caught or countered easily by a boxer at a boxers fighting distance (Unless you are smart enough to use it at exactly the correct time in the fight which will be very rare in boxing and may only come up with the occasional opponent who gives you that kind of distance to work with.

    The reason is,Mma is generally a different animal in that the contact and pre contact fight starts earlier at a long range distance due to kicks being the first threat and long range over reaching punches that can be thrown at that same distance once the kick misses is checked with a knee a leg or is caught.(different if you block at their knee of course ,then you can reach with the fist without moving).

    When something covers more ground to get from point A to point B there has to be a definitive reason for its use and that wont come up in boxing unless you are following the path of the target, there is little point in it.Boxer can can check a straight fast jab at range so they will easily check a circling shot if at that range or if you move to land it from distance.Unless they are moving and you are seeking the target with the shot,then you have a hope.


    There are flying hooks/leaping hooks in boxing and they are not just Russian where you can launch or take a step and fully commit to a long reaching hook,but they are a very old practice and unless you know exactly when to use them you will come a huge guttser against a tight fighter due to over commitment when they are non committed.

    Peter mentioned wrap your hands before you go on the heavy bag, take notice there,specially when experimenting with power shots.

    Sounds to me with your technique in trying these "russian" hooks that your body isnt in line behind your landing shot so you are losing power.(which may have saved your shoulder joint if you are on an extra heavy bag).
    Like if you have a pole with a stick hanging out the side and you twist it and the stick or 'Arm', swings around its anchor point the pole 'You' and hits something, you see the stick is on its own out there and eventually guess where the weakness and the break down eventually occurs? Yeah at the join,'your shoulder' if not in perfect line when practicing against a solid object.

    If you are in mma and want to use this kind of thing to reach over their knee and leading elbow maybe try using your front leg like the pivot and do a two stage step, step with the front as you set up and launch the shot and shift your rear leg around it the reverse way as your body aligns behind the shot and you land it in line. I wouldnt practice that on the heavy bag until you get it down perfect because you will do joint damage if you land it correctly and you are not in line and locked into position behind the shot.

    Your feet are the key here. Ive only watched that first video and really these dudes are swing for the fences so that with the volume thrown eventually someones going to run into one of them at the right time and it will be claimed. In reality an adjusting step back on a 45% angle and a straight front kick up between the elbows would stop that volume of russian hooks dead in its tracks right there,but these men have a certain lets bang it out thing going on.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

    I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    433
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    @ OMGWTF: I agree.

    @Andre: I try my best to be professional in my answers as well as courteous. No point in being mean. We're all adults here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    416
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Devastating swings! Can you tell me how to throw "russian hooks" ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Peter Som,top replies mate.

    This is a boxing forum first and foremost and I think your reply was perfect in that.

    OMGWTF, I think you'lll find that unless you caught out a boxer at exactly the right time; these long rage hooks that actually cover more tradjectory in distance- but have a lot of momentum behind them (because you have to be on the move to get 100% out of them): will be caught or countered easily by a boxer at a boxers fighting distance (Unless you are smart enough to use it at exactly the correct time in the fight which will be very rare in boxing and may only come up with the occasional opponent who gives you that kind of distance to work with.

    The reason is,Mma is generally a different animal in that the contact and pre contact fight starts earlier at a long range distance due to kicks being the first threat and long range over reaching punches that can be thrown at that same distance once the kick misses is checked with a knee a leg or is caught.(different if you block at their knee of course ,then you can reach with the fist without moving).

    When something covers more ground to get from point A to point B there has to be a definitive reason for its use and that wont come up in boxing unless you are following the path of the target, there is little point in it.Boxer can can check a straight fast jab at range so they will easily check a circling shot if at that range or if you move to land it from distance.Unless they are moving and you are seeking the target with the shot,then you have a hope.


    There are flying hooks/leaping hooks in boxing and they are not just Russian where you can launch or take a step and fully commit to a long reaching hook,but they are a very old practice and unless you know exactly when to use them you will come a huge guttser against a tight fighter due to over commitment when they are non committed.

    Peter mentioned wrap your hands before you go on the heavy bag, take notice there,specially when experimenting with power shots.

    Sounds to me with your technique in trying these "russian" hooks that your body isnt in line behind your landing shot so you are losing power.(which may have saved your shoulder joint if you are on an extra heavy bag).
    Like if you have a pole with a stick hanging out the side and you twist it and the stick or 'Arm', swings around its anchor point the pole 'You' and hits something, you see the stick is on its own out there and eventually guess where the weakness and the break down eventually occurs? Yeah at the join,'your shoulder' if not in perfect line when practicing against a solid object.

    If you are in mma and want to use this kind of thing to reach over their knee and leading elbow maybe try using your front leg like the pivot and do a two stage step, step with the front as you set up and launch the shot and shift your rear leg around it the reverse way as your body aligns behind the shot and you land it in line. I wouldnt practice that on the heavy bag until you get it down perfect because you will do joint damage if you land it correctly and you are not in line and locked into position behind the shot.

    Your feet are the key here. Ive only watched that first video and really these dudes are swing for the fences so that with the volume thrown eventually someones going to run into one of them at the right time and it will be claimed. In reality an adjusting step back on a 45% angle and a straight front kick up between the elbows would stop that volume of russian hooks dead in its tracks right there,but these men have a certain lets bang it out thing going on.
    Wow you were dead right about my shoulders not being in alignment, thats an incredible "observation" considering you cant even see me punching, im extremely impressed that you can pick up on that on an odd technique, just going by my vague text. !!! Im pretty gobsmacked!

    Thanks bud!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 02:09 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 02:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing