Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: First Amateur Fight - Need your advice.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default First Amateur Fight - Need your advice.

I am the one yelling commands to my brother in white trunks. This is his first amateur fight. Up to this fight, he trained for 2 months in skill and conditioning. He trained hardest the last 2 weeks. The fight is 3 rounds with each round at 1 min 30 seconds. After the fight, he regretted not throwing more punches and admitted to putting too much thought about his opponents counter punch. You can see all three rounds by clicking on the link below.

Jerry's First Fight Pictures, Jerry's First Fight Images, Jerry's First Fight Photos, Jerry's First Fight Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Below is a small clip of his 123 combo before his bout. I have more
    mitt work videos but need to resize to upload.

123 Pictures, 123 Images, 123 Photos, 123 Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Any advice and feedback about his stance, guard, etc would be greatly
    appreciated.
    Last edited by agentonthelow; 06-29-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: First Amateur Fight - Need your advice.

He looked pretty nervous in there, but to be expected for his first fight. Needed to commit more to his punches imo. His hands were way low, especially his lead. Too early into boxing to be having them that low unless he is blessed with some crazy speed and movement, and even then I think most trainers are going to try and get you to keep your guard good and high and tight. Once the basics have been established, then I think a person should naturally be finding their own style, low guard, high, w/e. I personally keep mine lower then it should be, and it catches up up from time to time, painfully too.

First fight tho, so is a good learning experience. Basically, higher tighter guard I think, and commit more to the punches thrown from what I saw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: First Amateur Fight - Need your advice.

From what I observed, I see a lot of things that can be improved on. I noticed first of all how low he kept his hands when fighting, they were at mid-chest range. Now I know this is a tactic used by experienced fighters to draw an opponent in, but for a beginner fighter, he NEEDS to keep his hand up in front of his face in a classic boxing guard:

http://pthumbnails.5min.com/30/1480_2.jpg

Especially in amateur boxing, the hands need to be up because most amateur boxers throw ONLY head shots, no body shots. So you can expect an opponent to try and tee off on his head, so he needs to keep his hands up if he wants to avoid getting knocked down.

Secondly, he was pawing a lot, as YoungBlood mentioned. He didn't really commit to his punches, and he was throwing them at half speed, which is why he got knocked down with that Cross at the beginning of that one round. He needs to throw his punches with excellent technique and speed, "pawing" will allow his opponent to counter him, which could lead to a knockout. I would suggest working with him to perfect the technique of his punches, to increase speed and power through technique.

Thirdly, he needs to throw in combinations, one punch will not do it. He needs to let the hands go. I know he was nervous, but the number one thing you have to know about amateur boxing is that you have to throw punches in bulk, meaning the opponent who punches the most will usually win an amateur fight, unless he gets knocked out by a counter shot.

I would stress working easy combinations that work, like:

Jab, Cross

Jab, Jab

Jab, Cross, Left Hook, Cross

Cross, Left Head Hook, Cross

Don't worry so much about getting countered, go in there and throw fast and quickly and move out of range.

Well there you go. I used to be a boxing trainer, so I've seen my fair share of amateur boxing matches. Hope this helped you out, good luck with your fighter

Thread Information