Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mythical lightweight matchup

I have seen arguments in posts and magazines as to mythical matchups in terms of Duran vs Mayweather at lightweight. What about Pac vs Duran at that weight? I know Pac had great wins at a couple of versions of featherweight and then welterweight. (I think he only fought Diaz at Light but could be wrong)
    What would that fight look like and who would win?
    I am a big Duran fan and thinks he beats Floyd and Pac at that weight but it might be my own bias as I am old and like I said a big fan of Duran.
    I am one of the few that like both Floyd and Pac. I think they are both all time greats. I personally think Floyd wins if they fight but every time I have bet against Pac I have lost. But that is a separate conversation already overdone. Just wondering why I never saw the scenario touched on as I have seen much stranger. Kimbo vs Tyson for instance.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Mythical lightweight matchup

It's hard to comment truthfully on Pac vs Floyd without haters from one side or another getting their feelings hurt about it.

Pac-Duran at lightweight...well Roberto Duran is considered the greatest lightweight in the world for a reason. I wonder about the power Pac has, and the handspeed, but I think at lightweight Duran would handle Manny he was just too technically sound.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    It's hard to comment truthfully on Pac vs Floyd without haters from one side or another getting their feelings hurt about it.

Pac-Duran at lightweight...well Roberto Duran is considered the greatest lightweight in the world for a reason. I wonder about the power Pac has, and the handspeed, but I think at lightweight Duran would handle Manny he was just too technically sound.

I agree re the outcome. But think it would be fun to watch. Plus they both kinda look like the same guy of different ethnicities. Or maybe it is just the goatee.

I shouldn't have mentioned Floyd vs Pac as that argument may take over what I was initially asking and can lead to nothing good.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good thread.

FMJ v Benny Leonard would be a technical chess match. Marmite fight people will either love or hate it, depending on preference and taste.

Floyd narrowly loses on points or knocks Benny out.

Henry Armstrong v Duran. Ha! barnstormer . Don't want to make out that Roberto is some unstoppable God of war but at lightweight I think he gives most anybody problems. Duran TKO late.

Buchanan v Burns. Battle of the Tartan. Early night for Ricky I'm afraid.

Buchanan wins by KO in 4th round

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ike Williams vs. Ken Buchanan

Could the Scot handle Ike's bombs.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos Ortiz vs. Jose Napoles

A bout that should have happened in 1964.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Ray Mancini vs. Andy Ganigan

A 'Boom Boom' vs. an 'Hawaiian Punch'

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Indeed, this forum on the topic of either one of those two has been reduced to one either being a "nuthugger" or "hater" and we both know what happens to objectivity when that happens.

I actually think that 35 would be a harder slog for both men then 47.

Beau Jack
    Benny Leonard
    Joe Gans
    Lou Ambers
    Shane Mosley
    Freddie Welsh
    Carlos Ortiz
    Hank Armstrong
    Oscar Delahoya
    Roberto Duran
    Ike Williams
    Ken Buchanan
    Toney Canzoneri
    Pernell Whitaker although I’d hate to see a fight between these 2 at any weight.
    Iamael Laguna
    Barney Ross

The better pack a lunch.
    Last edited by IamInuit; 10-17-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: vowel mixup lol

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The lightweight division has a rich history and there were great fighters @IamInuit mentions. Manny just passed through the weight during his peak and very impressive phase, that frightened Floyd so much he accused him of being unnatural, bu he did not stay there long enough to say he was greater than the top fighters.

Style wise Duran would land big right hands on Manny but Pac Man's punch power and speed would give hand of stone trouble. Still think Duran wins.

Julio Ceaser Chavez v Roberto Duran would have been great.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The lightweight division has a rich history and there were great fighters @IamInuit mentions. Manny just passed through the weight during his peak and very impressive phase, that frightened Floyd so much he accused him of being unnatural, bu he did not stay there long enough to say he was greater than the top fighters.

Style wise Duran would land big right hands on Manny but Pac Man's punch power and speed would give hand of stone trouble. Still think Duran wins.

Not sure on the speed thing my friend. Duran was unreal at 135. I'd argue he was just as fast as Manny if not faster. He matched speed with Leonard at 147. Durans another one of these guys I grew to like after his peak but thought of him a dick during it. Dejesus managed to out point him once but he was unstoppable and reached 71-1. I actually feel bad for Duran because he was overshadowed by Ali.

When both Ray Arcel and Freddie Brown say they never saw anything like him since Henry Armstrong, that carries a lot of cred. Both guys trained Armstrong and grew up around Benny Leonard. Speaking of mythical matchups, I'd probably remove a testicle to see Armstrong v Duran.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was not going to mention speed but regretted typing it but it is a strength of Manny but you are right Dejesus was fast and Duran handled him.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ike Williams {1947 Verison}
    vs.
    Ken Buchanan {1971 version}

Ike Williams
    Age......... 24 years old
    Height..... 5' 9"
    Reach...... 68"
    Record .... 86-10-3 {46 KO's}

Ken Buchanan
    Age......... 26 years old
    Height..... 5' 8"
    Reach...... 70"
    Record .... 41-1-0 {15 KO's}

While Ken had the better technical skills, he lacked 'big' power despite being a sharp puncher.

Ike had 'no fear' of getting hit, and was an aggressive fighter with excellent power.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fight >

Ike would take the fight to Kenny, by using constant pressure and a steady attack. Ken would
    be forced to be in the defense and his offense would be limited to counter-punching. Ike would
    be too strong early and jar Kenny with his power.

By the end of Round 3, Ike would have a commanding lead > 3-0-0 in Rounds.

Kenny would finally get into the fight in Rounds 4 and 5, and score with measured left-jabs and
    occasional right-hand counters. But still, Ike's power would keep Kenny wary and on the outside.

Both Rounds 4 and 5 are 'Even'.

Kenny would take charge in Round 6, and use his long arms to 'sharp-shoot' Ike. Kenny would
    sweep Rounds 6 thru 8 to 'even' the bout on the Scorecards > {3-3-2}.

But Ike would not be discouraged, as he would bide his time waiting to mount his 'patented' all-out
    attacks.

It would come in Round 9, when he catches Kenny with a 'bomb', and then batters Kenny into the
    Ropes where he drops him with a vicious body-attack.

Kenny is up at the '5-Count', and is hurt from the body-blows. Ike mounts another charge, and has
    Kenny in trouble late. But Kenny uses his boxing ability to ride the 'rough wave' and gets out of
    the Round.

In Rounds 10 and 11, Kenny is forced to back away and move in avoiding Ike's rambunctious attacks.
    Ike continues winging bombs, and hurts Kenny with his body punches, but he is not pacing himself
    and looks a bit winded at the end of Round 11.

In Round 12, Ike scores early and has Kenny backing away. But Kenny makes a 'minor' comeback
    at the halfway point in the session as Ike has slowed down. Kenny starts scoring with left-jabs and
    an occasional right-cross, and has Ike backing away over the last 20-Seconds of the Round.

Kenny continues with a steady and even-keel pace in Rounds 13 and 14, and out-jabs Ike with
    an assortment of left-hands. Ike is weary ending each Round, and welcomes hearing the Bell in
    both Rounds.

Round 15 >
    Ike comes out fast, and tries to stem Kenny's tide. Ike catches Kenny with a big right-hand that
    has him rubbery-legged. Ike opens up, and lands punch-after-punch on a dazed Buchanan.

But Kenny rides out the 'storm' as Ike punches himself out at the {1:10 Mark}. Kenny slowly
    gets into gear and peppers an exhausted Williams with left-hands to the face.

By the {2:00 Mark} a winded Ike is backing away, and goes to the Ropes to stay up on 'weak legs'.

Kenny opens up, and hammers away with everything he's got over the last minute. Ike takes a
    lathering, but manages to stay upright until the Final Bell.

Scorecards
    * 143-142 > Ike Williams
    * 144-142 > Ike Williams
    * 143-143 > 'Even'

Ike Williams wins by a 'Majority Decision'
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 10-18-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have seen clips of Beau Jack, Ike Williams and Bob Montgomery and they look absolute beasts in the ring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Not sure on the speed thing my friend. Duran was unreal at 135. I'd argue he was just as fast as Manny if not faster. He matched speed with Leonard at 147. Durans another one of these guys I grew to like after his peak but thought of him a dick during it. Dejesus managed to out point him once but he was unstoppable and reached 71-1. I actually feel bad for Duran because he was overshadowed by Ali.

When both Ray Arcel and Freddie Brown say they never saw anything like him since Henry Armstrong, that carries a lot of cred. Both guys trained Armstrong and grew up around Benny Leonard. Speaking of mythical matchups, I'd probably remove a testicle to see Armstrong v Duran.

Like I said, I am a big Duran fan. I bought a box set of his fights online. Quality was not too bad and a great collection. At first I thought it was a mistake but the only fights not on the collection was Leanord II and Hearns fight. Just as well I guess. But I looked through all the DVDs 50 times to see if I was mistaken. Must be a coincidence.
    His biography is a good read as well and I still say he was a monster at lightweight and wouldn't bet against him vs past or present greats.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frasd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Like I said, I am a big Duran fan. I bought a box set of his fights online. Quality was not too bad and a great collection. At first I thought it was a mistake but the only fights not on the collection was Leanord II and Hearns fight. Just as well I guess. But I looked through all the DVDs 50 times to see if I was mistaken. Must be a coincidence.
    His biography is a good read as well and I still say he was a monster at lightweight and wouldn't bet against him vs past or present greats.

I guess they never factored in Youtube By leaving those two fights off the set they actually increased their viewing.

Thread Information