Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What does GGG do now?

Let's first make sure we're all on the same page. Ward is one division above GGG. What @imp and @Ron Swanson talked about in another thread that they want to see is the best middleweight in the world go up and fight the best guy in the super middleweight division because there is no one else that can give GGG a good fight in his division, the division below and the division above. Be up front about it: that's a heck of a compliment, gentlemen.

I don't necessarily agree with all of it. I think a Floyd-GGG fight would be tremendous. From a styles point of view, if Lara moved up I also wouldn't mind seeing his style against GGG. Offense versus Defense.

Distilled to its essence though, what @Ron Swanson is also saying is at some point (and he was so confident in GGG's ability that for him it was sometime in 2013) it becomes less-and-less exciting to see GGG beat up good, but-not-great opponents. I don't disagree. It's now reached that point for me. The problem is I don't see an easy solution.

I also agree with @Ron Swanson that the middleweight division isn't great right now. It's not as bad as he makes it out to be, but it's clearly not the featherweight or the flyweight divisions.

So, who does GGG face? Let's assume Ward is out due to contractual disputes with his promoter. Same with Junior. It looks like Froch won't face GGG. Mayweather won't face him. Cotto won't face him. Canelo won't face him until 2016 is what I'm told.

Where does that leave him? To me, there are three satisfying doable fights available to GGG around 160-168 the he could take in the meantime while the Ward/Junior situations works itself out. Murray, Kessler, and Abraham. Do Murray in Monaco in February and Kessler in Denmark or Abraham in Germany later that year. Those aren't the only super middleweights I'd consider, but they have belts, and/or relatively big names.

With the exception of Murray, who is a big middleweight and the only available middleweight I'd want to see GGG in against, the thought process is that if he's going to take on good, but not great fighters, do it in the division above.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What does GGG do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Let's first make sure we're all on the same page. Ward is one division above GGG. What @imp and @Ron Swanson talked about in another thread that they want to see is the best middleweight in the world go up and fight the best guy in the super middleweight division because there is no one else that can give GGG a good fight in his division, the division below and the division above. Be up front about it: that's a heck of a compliment, gentlemen.

I don't necessarily agree with all of it. I think a Floyd-GGG fight would be tremendous. From a styles point of view, if Lara moved up I also wouldn't mind seeing his style against GGG. Offense versus Defense.

Distilled to its essence though, what @Ron Swanson is also saying is at some point (and he was so confident in GGG's ability that for him it was sometime in 2013) it becomes less-and-less exciting to see GGG beat up good, but-not-great opponents. I don't disagree. It's now reached that point for me. The problem is I don't see an easy solution.

I also agree with @Ron Swanson that the middleweight division isn't great right now. It's not as bad as he makes it out to be, but it's clearly not the featherweight or the flyweight divisions.

So, who does GGG face? Let's assume Ward is out due to contractual disputes with his promoter. Same with Junior. It looks like Froch won't face GGG. Mayweather won't face him. Cotto won't face him. Canelo won't face him until 2016 is what I'm told.

Where does that leave him? To me, there are three satisfying doable fights available to GGG around 160-168 the he could take in the meantime while the Ward/Junior situations works itself out. Murray, Kessler, and Abraham. Do Murray in Monaco in February and Kessler in Denmark or Abraham in Germany later that year. Those aren't the only super middleweights I'd consider, but they have belts, and/or relatively big names.

With the exception of Murray, who is a big middleweight and the only available middleweight I'd want to see GGG in against, the thought process is that if he's going to take on good, but not great fighters, do it in the division above.
    These are all very good points, however it is painful to note that Golovkin is being denied the chance to clean up and unify the middleweight division because of other fighter/promoters/managers at that weight. He has done everything he can, and is now denied a shot by Cotto,who is supposedly ranked by Ring etc as the best middleweight on the planet, which is derisory and insulting, and Taylor who popped back up like a free toy in someones cereal.

If he is forced to move up then I can agree that Abraham and Kessler are places to start even Dirrell but not Ward first. I also agree that going down to light middle is not so outlandish, or even a non title catch-weight with a name to raise his profile and silence the naysayers. How any one can suggest a guy who fought four times last year and three times this year, with such stunning demoltions of people like Macklin,Stevens,Geale and Rubio is somehow a fighter who needs to challenge himself is beyond me.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG should try and fight Cotto for lineal title, Saul if he beats Cotto, and Junior for a fat payday. Forget Taylor and the other trinkets.

GGG should also move up later and challenge Froch or Ward after he has beaten AA.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    GGG should try and fight Cotto for lineal title, Saul if he beats Cotto, and Junior for a fat payday. Forget Taylor and the other trinkets.

GGG should also move up later and challenge Froch or Ward after he has beaten AA.
    I think GGG agrees with your first sentence, he straight away said he wants Cotto. Unfortunately Cotto will probably fight Alvarez. Chavez wouldn't make MW, so why should GGG give up weight for a non title holder?
    As for challenging Froch "later", I don't think Froch will be around that long. Personally if GGG fights outside his division , I reckon he should go down rather than up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For GGG, Kessler's inactivity no longer makes him the threat I used to think he's be, but I'll say right now that Abraham, stylistically would be a nightmare for him - because AA's guard is purpose built to deal with a fighter who comes forward throwing two handed combinations. GGG doesn't get low, doesn't change levels, doesn't move his head inside a great deal and doesn't fight long. You need three of those things to beat AA.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    For GGG, Kessler's inactivity no longer makes him the threat I used to think he's be, but I'll say right now that Abraham, stylistically would be a nightmare for him - because AA's guard is purpose built to deal with a fighter who comes forward throwing two handed combinations. GGG doesn't get low, doesn't change levels, doesn't move his head inside a great deal and doesn't fight long. You need three of those things to beat AA.
    What are you talking about? GGG would eat AA for breakfast.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    What are you talking about? GGG would eat AA for breakfast.
    Paul Smith caused AA problems with body shots, Golovkin would break every rib in his body.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Its amazing because now I am actually seeing people posting on other forums about expecting him to go to 154. This shit is really starting to take on a life of its own. Next week 147. How about the other cheese dicks in the division start taking some flack. Whats kid Ovaltine done? The guy is a national embarrassment in two countries. He should be publicly flogged for taking Kid Chocolates name, claiming its out of respect and then being the biggest dandy in the division.

Cotto is not going to fight him and that Alvarez fight in May trumps everything. Even is he wins I think he finally retires. I think Alvarez would fight him but Oscar might not let him. Korobov's people know who he is and will stay clear. Unfortunately the only other present champion or person of "note" that most likely has the balls to fight him is Taylor.

Which leads to another unfortunate truth. Just like the oceans being 90% fished out so it seems is the middleweight division. The other fish it appears are big in their small ponds but small outside it. The Kazak may have to go to 168 but its difficult to say if he fares any better there. Unless its Ward immediately on moving up, he might as well stay at 160. Froch is not going to fight him even if the guy game to Nottingham. Might as well stay at mid and beat Hopkins defense record and wait for the killer Keith Thurmans to move up to 160.

And I really have to take issue with this notion that this is somehow a paper division. Its no weaker then Monzons, Haglers or Hopkins and all three of them made their names on x-welters. Hopkins never fought one elite middle in his entire career save Roy Jones. Monzon either. That guy was fighting guys that were 2 and 9 in his 36th fight. 0 and 2 in his 37th and 3 and 2 in his 38th. Beats up on a couple of old welters in Napoles and Griffith and he's on peoples top 5 atg lists ffs.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's different that the welters moving up were big welters. Now the top welters aren't even really welters. People expect Floyd to move up to fight him but he's moved up 5 division and doesn't enter the ring weighing in that 5 th division. But he should go to a 6th? Where as GGG can't go up one? If he's really as small as people claim he can make 160 again just fine. But he is in his 30s,, there is one big fight option(challenge big fight not money big fight) and everyone seems against it. It's mind numbing. If not now and not soon, when?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    It's different that the welters moving up were big welters. Now the top welters aren't even really welters. People expect Floyd to move up to fight him but he's moved up 5 division and doesn't enter the ring weighing in that 5 th division. But he should go to a 6th? Where as GGG can't go up one? If he's really as small as people claim he can make 160 again just fine. But he is in his 30s,, there is one big fight option(challenge big fight not money big fight) and everyone seems against it. It's mind numbing. If not now and not soon, when?
    What's mind numbing is why arm chair boxing fans think every elite fighter NEEDS TO MOVE UP!!! or NEEDS TO MOVE DOWN!!! Give me a break you bunch of clowns. Fighters should follow the career path they're most comfortable with and go what they want, fight who they want, when it pleases them. They're the ones putting their lives on the line every time they step in the ring. They owe the fans NOTHING! If you guys sitting back drinking beer don't like it then you should get in the ring yourselves and do all this stupid shit you seem to think is so easy. It's a joke the way you act like these fighters owe you something.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

I think GGG agrees with your first sentence, he straight away said he wants Cotto. Unfortunately Cotto will probably fight Alvarez. Chavez wouldn't make MW, so why should GGG give up weight for a non title holder?
    As for challenging Froch "later", I don't think Froch will be around that long. Personally if GGG fights outside his division , I reckon he should go down rather than up.
    I agree with what your saying apart from that last comment.
    Mayweather and Pacquiao get crucified if anything of that nature is mentioned. With 'he's picking on a smaller fighter' blah blah. But every other fighter can get away with it. If he wants to challenge himself and prove he is good he should move up and fighter bigger men, same as Pac and May.
    you have people suggesting Mayweather should move up to MW, when he barely makes LMW, fight GGG but GGG should move down Disagree with you there. If anything he should stay at MW and unifiy the division.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

I think GGG agrees with your first
    sentence, he straight away said he
    wants Cotto. Unfortunately Cotto will
    probably fight Alvarez. Chavez wouldn't make MW, so why should GGG give up weight for a non title holder?
    As for challenging Froch "later", I
    don't think Froch will be around that

long. Personally if GGG fights outside his division , I reckon he should go down rather than up.

I agree with what your saying apart from that last comment.
    Mayweather and Pacquiao get

crucified if anything of that nature is mentioned. With 'he's picking on a
    smaller fighter' blah blah. But every
    other fighter can get away with it. If he wants to challenge himself and prove he is good he should move up and fighter bigger men, same as Pac and May.
    you have people suggesting
    Mayweather should move up to MW, when he barely makes LMW, fight
    GGG but GGG should move down Disagree with you there. If anything he should stay at MW and unifiy the division.
    I agree he should unify the division, but the rest don't want to know .
    I did say "if" he fights out of his division. I'm not one of those who think Floyd should go to MW. Why should he put himself at a massive disadvantage just because people want to see him get beat. The same goes for GGG. Physically he's clearly not a SMW. The problem with people fighting out of their natural weight is that whatever happens, there's always a question mark or excuse, that's why I don't like it too much and Catchweights are even worse.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG v AA would be interesting

plus they both only have one initial repeated
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Thread Information