Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Muscle milk ?

Anyone have an opinion on this product?Drawbacks,benefits, effectivness etc?thinking about giving it a try and do need regularly use anything with exception of some herbals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Muscle milk ?

Don't waste your money. Just get a GNC card and get whey instead. Muscle milk has casein proteins which digests very slowly. It's inferior to whey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, just buy some GNC brand whey. I've taken muscle milk before and it's not bad, but mostly paying for the price. If i remember correctly i think it also is fairly high in fat, as far as protien shakes go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post
    Don't waste your money. Just get a GNC card and get whey instead. Muscle milk has casein proteins which digests very slowly. It's inferior to whey.
    Well not true actually, whey and casein are used for two different things. Whey is absorbed quicker so you take it after training and most parts of the day. Casein is really designed to take of a night time (or any other part of the day you will have a long break from eating) to stop your body from going catobolic as it digests much slower and stops your body looking to muscle for food.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're missing my point. The reason I said get a GNC card is because all GNC products are on sale the first week of every month, and he can buy a month's supply of whey for less than $40. The fact it's sold in bulk is due to the fact that it needs to be taken roughly twice a day, and for the purpose of daily supplements, whey is superior to casein.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post
    Actually it would be best to take a mixture of the two. Whey is great because it's utilized very quickly, however the draw back is the fact that the rapid absorption of the whey protein leads to a huge influx of amino acids, which tend to get diverted from the muscles and be converted to glucose.

Casein is brilliant and isn't at all inferior to whey. Even post work-out, casein has got your back. The ratio of casein to whey in milk is around 80-20 so Muscle Milk will still contain whey protein in an amount that can be easily absorbed without overloading your body with a huge influx of amino acids. The casein clots in your stomach and is released more slowly over a number of hours.

Best thing to do would be to add a scoop of whey to your muscle milk (if you really want to). Having said that, your rate of recovery will probably be the same.

The alternative is to drink 1 pint of skimmed milk. Contains around 18g of protein and around 50 grams of carbs which are also required post work-out. It'll probably work out cheaper for you aswell.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I buy ON Natural Whey cuz it has no sweeteners other than stevia which is a plant. When i want to add some slow protein i mix it with milk. Milk is 20% whey and 80% casein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    I buy ON Natural Whey cuz it has no sweeteners other than stevia which is a plant. When i want to add some slow protein i mix it with milk. Milk is 20% whey and 80% casein.
    Yeah ive been taking ON for a while and have switched to BSN Syntha 6 for a change of taste. I must say the Syntha 6 has better taste than ON but I think ON is the better protein supplement.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im on the side of a casein and whey mixture for a quick shot and sustained release of protein however it depends what type of training your doing because too much protein is a waste and counter productive in my experience protein is usually overdone in many cases and its important to have good carbs with the protein otherwise the protein wont go where you want it to go and your body will try and burn it for energy, but whey by itself is not the most complete of proteins of course if your mixing them with milk then the aminos from the milk will complete the protein anyway.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Much over due thanks for the input fellas.Lost track but went with the Whey and began on Fri.Twice a day seperate from meals.So much to learn. Its all new to me but apparently I dropped all of the weight,50 + lbs way too fast and really lapsed in proteins...like a fool I basically cut all meats except fish for a month or so.Burned muscle.Stuffed on veggies and fruit,nuts only.Have course corrected and red meat a must in moderation.Majority of what I hear is Muscle milk is high in fat,run greater risk of actually putting weight on in conjunction with meals. Back on weights and running nightly but not going so much for bulk but need to tone & firm up,drop another 20 lbs while building back.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 04-27-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Much over due thanks for the input fellas.Lost track but went with the Whey and began on Fri.Twice a day seperate from meals.So much to learn. Its all new to me but apparently I dropped all of the weight,50 + lbs way too fast and really lapsed in proteins...like a fool I basically cut all meats except fish for a month or so.Burned muscle.Stuffed on veggies and fruit,nuts only.Have course corrected and red meat a must in moderation.Majority of what I hear is Muscle milk is high in fat,run greater risk of actually putting weight on in conjunction with meals. Back on weights and running nightly but not going so much for bulk but need to tone & firm up,drop another 20 lbs while building back.
    Get yourself a sports nutrition text book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Owned by Youngblood View Post
    Yeah 100% Whey protein is what you need. Mate depending on your calorie intake you may need to have more than two protein shakes a day, I have 4 currently.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakey View Post
    Yeah 100% Whey protein is what you need. Mate depending on your calorie intake you may need to have more than two protein shakes a day, I have 4 currently.
    How much protein do you get from solid foods?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Not heaps as I only really get to have two meals a day due to work, so basically 3 eggs whites in the morning and steak or chicken for dinner.If i get a chance for lunch I will usually try to chuck some tuna in there. I have 1 shake in the morning, 1 during the day, 1 in the afternoon and 1 at night.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Not heaps as I only really get to have two meals a day due to work, so basically 3 eggs whites in the morning and steak or chicken for dinner.If i get a chance for lunch I will usually try to chuck some tuna in there. I have 1 shake in the morning, 1 during the day, 1 in the afternoon and 1 at night.
    What are your goals if you don't mind me asking?

Thread Information