Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default UK Promoters / TV companies - Question about fighters purses

Why do the UK promoters/TV companies never reveal how much they are paying their fighters??. Goldenboy and Showtime like many of the Amercian promoters and Tv companies again has made it public knowledge of what Sat nights fighter are getting.

Dan Rafael ESPN blog : Big fights, big money at Barclays Center - ESPN

I find it interesting how much boxers are getting paid as it gets you thinking how much our world champions right down to the show opener guys are making.

Has anyone got any links to other purse splits for full show etc etc

cheers
    Hidden Content

collecting scores from the best boxing sites and forums

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: UK Promoters / TV companies - Question about fighters purses

It interests me greatly too (although I can't answer your question)

Morales was on $1m to Garcia's $175,000 for the first fight. Garcia was on $500,000 for Khan.

A good win and a couple of belts means he now gets $1m to Morales $300,000.

Randall Bailey jumps from $100,000, as challenger, to $500,000 as champion.

And some fans think losing isn't such a big deal.
    Last edited by Fenster; 10-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In most (possibly all) states in America the state commissions have to make the purses public. It's law under the Muhammad Ali Act. There's no such law in Britain.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fightscorecollector View Post
    Why do the UK promoters/TV companies never reveal how much they are paying their fighters??. Goldenboy and Showtime like many of the Amercian promoters and Tv companies again has made it public knowledge of what Sat nights fighter are getting.

Dan Rafael ESPN blog : Big fights, big money at Barclays Center - ESPN

I find it interesting how much boxers are getting paid as it gets you thinking how much our world champions right down to the show opener guys are making.

Has anyone got any links to other purse splits for full show etc etc

cheers
    Have you asked them? Sometimes it's that simple.
    A letter or an email might get a response, but a phone call is better. I'm not naive enough to believe this will get the answer you're after, but it's worth a try.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm often shocked at how little the purses are for the guys outside the superstar status.

Considering all of the sponsorships and things that go into the main pot, sometimes fighters don't come out with much at all after all the vultures have taken their slice.

Domestic level fighters probably lucky to earn £30k a year. Although I have no idea how lucrative seperate sponsorship deals are for them.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These are the purses, the sponsorship that the fighters earn must be good too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anyone know what froch has earnt atall? Is he a millionaire?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Recently Warren offered Froch a million quid to fight Cleverley and when it was turned down Warren said that would have been by far Froch's biggest payday, that he's never made a million for a fight. If I remember correctly he got a million dollars to fight Jermain Taylor. If you look at half a million per fight since he became champion then he's made a few quid and apparently he buys property and rents it with the money he makes so he's a sensible boy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Recently Warren offered Froch a million quid to fight Cleverley and when it was turned down Warren said that would have been by far Froch's biggest payday, that he's never made a million for a fight. If I remember correctly he got a million dollars to fight Jermain Taylor. If you look at half a million per fight since he became champion then he's made a few quid and apparently he buys property and rents it with the money he makes so he's a sensible boy.
    Froch's promoter said £1m was an insult and he would make double that fighting anyone else as it stands anyway.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It interests me greatly too (although I can't answer your question)

Morales was on $1m to Garcia's $175,000 for the first fight. Garcia was on $500,000 for Khan.

A good win and a couple of belts means he now gets $1m to Morales $300,000.

Randall Bailey jumps from $100,000, as challenger, to $500,000 as champion.

And some fans think losing isn't such a big deal.
    Yup exactly - that also ties in with people still being surprised about why boxers do PEDs. 100k or 1 Mill? Potential difference between winning and losing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Froch's promoter said £1m was an insult and he would make double that fighting anyone else as it stands anyway.
    Nottingham arena seats 10 000 people. An average seventy quid a ticket is £700, 000, and that seventy is probably too high. Take 20% VAT off and the cost of hiring the arena, the cost of the event staff and the cost of promoting the fight and all the other costs and you've got three hundred thousand quid plus, maybe four, probably not. Then add on the TV money which will be something similar, or on certain fights maybe a chunk of foreign TV money eg. Canadian TV for the Bute fight and you've got six to eight hundred thousand to split between the fighters and the promoters. And don't forget for the Bute fight Bute was the champion fighting abroad so would have got 75-80% of the split of the fighters' chunk of the change.

So I'm guessing Warren is right here.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nottingham arena seats 10 000 people. An average seventy quid a ticket is £700, 000, and that seventy is probably too high. Take 20% VAT off and the cost of hiring the arena, the cost of the event staff and the cost of promoting the fight and all the other costs and you've got three hundred thousand quid plus, maybe four, probably not. Then add on the TV money which will be something similar, or on certain fights maybe a chunk of foreign TV money eg. Canadian TV for the Bute fight and you've got six to eight hundred thousand to split between the fighters and the promoters. And don't forget for the Bute fight Bute was the champion fighting abroad so would have got 75-80% of the split of the fighters' chunk of the change.

I'm not saying he isn't, I just remember what Froch's promoter said in return.

Don't forget the sponsorship cash from the fight too, that is probably well over a million.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not saying he isn't, I just remember what Froch's promoter said in return.

Don't forget the sponsorship cash from the fight too, that is probably well over a million.
    I think sponsorship money would be in the tens of thousands. Maybe enough to pay all the undercard fighters. You can buy some serious advertising with a million quid you know. Capital One are paying three million a year to sponsor what used to be the Carling Cup.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's quite a good deal (Capital One) I always assume it is millions they contribute for fights, short sponsors, ring sponsors etc.

Think I need to make less assumptions and look into it more.

I read an article a while back (probably on here) that show'd just how poorly paid boxers are which really surprised me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Froch was a PPV fighter it'd be a different ballgame but he isn't and he's signed to Matchroom who have a complicated multi-sport deal with Sky so there's a limit to how much they can ask for for a Froch fight. The only fight I can see that'll make serious money anytime soon is if Hatton Khan gets made. They could sell out Man City's ground and Sky would do it on PPV. An average seventy quid ticket could bring in three and a half million at the gate but if a million people press the red button, and a million paid to watch Hatton fight Floyd, then there's twelve and a half million after VAT to split between Sky and the promotion.

Thread Information