Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anthony Joshuas weight increase

Does no one else find it odd how Joshua has gone from 230lb when he turned pro just 2 years ago to 250lb in his last fight?

How much more will the increase be for this one?

He was 24 when he turned pro, a fully mature adult with no growing left. He also has always used weights since before he started boxing, so its not like there was some untapped potential growth there that most people get when they first start weight training.

Its an unreal gain if you are doing that with just training and eating normal foods. Even protein shakes etc wont get you that.

Its also not just the increase but the complete lack of suspicion from the media about it and in forums. I dont see it mentioned alot if at all but there are pro body builders who wish they could achieve that!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not just you Ross. Dillian has finally found his tongue and mentioned it along with Joshua being a coke head apparently. Gagging order must be up?

Is a stone and a half over 2 years on a massive 6'6 frame that obscene a gain?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshuas weight increase

You have to assume the weight gain is through legal means, there is no legal evidence to suggest otherwise. That said Boxing does not help itself with its almost non existent drug policy.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It must be added muscle which will not do him any good.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Does no one else find it odd how Joshua has gone from 230lb when he turned pro just 2 years ago to 250lb in his last fight?

How much more will the increase be for this one?

He was 24 when he turned pro, a fully mature adult with no growing left. He also has always used weights since before he started boxing, so its not like there was some untapped potential growth there that most people get when they first start weight training.

Its an unreal gain if you are doing that with just training and eating normal foods. Even protein shakes etc wont get you that.

Its also not just the increase but the complete lack of suspicion from the media about it and in forums. I dont see it mentioned alot if at all but there are pro body builders who wish they could achieve that!
    Very Predictable Ross, I have to say.
    I wonder if you could give us the benefit of your opinion as to why Tyson Fury's weight has fluctuated maybe 30 - 35 Lbs in his career? Some pessimists might suggest Diuretics, but obviously I wouldn't.
    For the record, I'll give you my opinion .

Joshua- I don't think it's excessive at 6 Foot 5 tall to put on a stone and a half. Again, his team probably think that's where he needs to be weight wise. Again , sceptics will look at his physique and think he's on steroids, and you have regularly said in the past the he has "put on 20lbs of Muscle." I don't know how you know that is the case?? I don't think it's 20 lbs of muscle, my belief is that would be nigh on Impossible.
    Fury - again, I think the reason he came in at under 250lbs the other week , was because his team believe that is his optimum, most effective weight. Clearly, with the performance he put in, they were quite right.
    So it's as simple as that , both parties feel that those are their optimum weights.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

20lb of pure muscle is a huge gain in two years for a heavyweight boxer.

Its not like he was a lighter weight fighter boiling down in weight who could easily move up.

Fury goes up and down with fat and fluid. Joshua has clearly gone up with muscle. I cant believe you even used Fury as an example

Tyson and all the Furys get random tested regularly as Peter Fury points out on hos twitter. He laughs about it because people look at their success and cant believe its just natural hard work. There is a lot of bitterness and jealousy about the furys success but thats neither here nor there.

Anyone whos tried building miscle purposefully will tell you that a lean 20lb gain in two years is huge, even if you are 6,6". Its massive for anyone, let alone someone doing it "naturally" legally.

Like I said, Joshua has said himself he used to be big on weightlifting before the boxing so its not like he just started and unlocked some growth potential out of nowhere. For someone who regularly lifts weights up to the age of 24 to suddenly gain 20lb in 2 years is suspicious!

Im hoping someone who knows a bit about weightlifting/bodybuilding chips in here.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its not like he was a lighter weight fighter boiling down in weight who could easily move up.

Fury goes up and down with fat and fluid. Joshua has clearly gone up with muscle. I cant believe you even used Fury as an example

Tyson and all the Furys get random tested regularly as Peter Fury points out on hos twitter. He laughs about it because people look at their success and cant believe its just natural hard work. There is a lot of bitterness and jealousy about the furys success but thats neither here nor there.

Anyone whos tried building miscle purposefully will tell you that a lean 20lb gain in two years is huge, even if you are 6,6". Its massive for anyone, let alone someone doing it "naturally" legally.

Like I said, Joshua has said himself he used to be big on weightlifting before the boxing so its not like he just started and unlocked some growth potential out of nowhere. For someone who regularly lifts weights up to the age of 24 to suddenly gain 20lb in 2 years is suspicious!

Im hoping someone who knows a bit about weightlifting/bodybuilding chips in here.

Yeah , me too. Having said that, it'll just be like when somebody chipped in about betting and you wouldn't / couldn't understand that either!
    You keep saying "20 lbs of pure muscle". How do you know it is 20 lbs in muscle? Ok, we know it's 20 lbs in weight, but I repeat , how do you know it is 20 lbs of pure muscle?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Yeah , me too. Having said that, it'll just be like when somebody chipped in about betting and you wouldn't / couldn't understand that either!
    You keep saying "20 lbs of pure muscle". How do you know it is 20 lbs in muscle? Ok, we know it's 20 lbs in weight, but I repeat , how do you know it is 20 lbs of pure muscle?
    Ok brains, find me a picture of Joshua looking any fatter than when he turned pro

Unless your telling me hes a secret boozer and its all visceral fat?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@AdamGB would be useful about now, shame he doesn't post that often.

The bit in bold. I agree in part, but only in part. For Joe Bloggs popping down the gym at the weekend, occasionally after work, mostly looking at tarts in yoga pants yeah they'd struggle to pack on 20lbs of lean muscle I'm sure.

But for a full time athlete with the best of everything who is also clearly very gifted genetically, is it really that ridiculous a gain?

Ross why don't you think his physique and weight gain has got more exposure?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps he took something as a penis enlarger, just like Justin Gatlin did. If that's so, he will be OK.

Maybe he will club Whyte to death with his semi erect cock?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Perhaps he took something as a penis enlarger, just like Justin Gatlin did. If that's so, he will be OK.

Maybe he will club Whyte to death with his semi erect cock?
    Not going to happen; Eddie cannot pull out of a 69er!
    Last edited by Britkid; 12-11-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Ok brains, find me a picture of Joshua looking any fatter than when he turned pro

Unless your telling me hes a secret boozer and its all visceral fat?

Ross, Ross , Ross, my funny pedigree chum, I've just started another thread that I'm sure you'll be interested in.😄
    Now , have you ever heard of Ratio or Proportion? Basically if an 11 stone guy like Canelo for arguments sake, can look in shape at 11 stone, then 24 hours later can look in shape or not "look fat" as you put it at 12 and a half stone, then why can't a guy who was 16 and a half stone look in good shape at nearly 18 stone. Add to that the fact that he's 6 foot 5 inches tall, I think it's feasible.
    I repeat how do you KNOW he has put on 20 lbs of pure muscle?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshuas pro debut late 2012 weighing 230lb

During the weigh in to Cornish at 250lb

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He looks like someone who has gone from training 5 times a week to 25 times a week. For a few years.

He's gone pro and then trained a lot. It is more muscle, but look at him, he's a fucking beast. It doesn't look like it's bothering him. It probably wasn't even deliberate.

Plus in amateurs you want to be lighter and fast. Pro he wants power.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    He looks like someone who has gone from training 5 times a week to 25 times a week. For a few years.

He's gone pro and then trained a lot. It is more muscle, but look at him, he's a fucking beast. It doesn't look like it's bothering him. It probably wasn't even deliberate.

Plus in amateurs you want to be lighter and fast. Pro he wants power.
    This is my issue.

Anyone who knows about building muscle will tell you you need to rest.

If you are doing weights to build muscle you couldnt even do pad work or sparring effectively because you would be too sore anyway but doing all the regular boxing training would not allow the muscle fibres time to repair and grow or hypertrophy. Also, running is out of the window to build muscle. The more endurance type training the more you are holding back growth.

Regardless of how he has acheived this growth it will not help his stamina in a hard fight.

This is not his natural size as the large muscle increase from the age of 24 will prove. Very few heavily (developed) muscled men become world class fighters. For instance a fighter like Mike Tyson was a freak of nature and was huge from a child. His body was used to moving that mass around. A fighter like Bruno although eventually became a world champion because of the fragmented titles and McCall being stoned struggled with stamina. He was a big strong and tough fighter and took a good shot but he took too many because he was too tired and stiff to be fluid and move well. Joshua has yet to even feel what its like to breath hard in the 4th. Had he got in to the second half of a 10 round fight it wouldnt be such an issue but when hes mentally and physically fatigued and gasping for oxygen to feed all that new muscle tissue he will noticably slow and panic for it. He might feel fine in trainng and sparring where there is nothing at risk and no threat of losing.

He will panic sat in the corner at the end of the 4th knowing he has another 8 rounds to go when his legs and arms feel heavy and tired and all he knows what to do is off load heavy shots he needs energy for.

Thread Information