Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pinklon Thomas/Weaver/Witherspoon/Dokes vs current HW's

? How would Pinklon and Tim and Dokes fare against Areola/Povetkin/Joshua etc.

I say the 80s crop SMOKES THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF THESE BIG-TITTY FLABBY BOYS.

@p4pking
    @ykdadamaja
    @NVSemin
    @Dia bando (watch out for the 'gators)
    @Gandalf
    @ross
    @nv semin
    @ron price
    @primocarnera
    @superheavyrhun
    @Memphis
    @Britkid
    @Fenster
    @gest12345

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pinklon Thomas/Weaver/Witherspoon/Dokes vs current HW's

Tim Whitherspoon beats Arreola and Joshua but not sure about Povetkin, probably.

People... Before you rate Joshua in the all time top ten just remember who has faced, litterally no one...

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Tim Whitherspoon beats Arreola and Joshua but not sure about Povetkin, probably.

People... Before you rate Joshua in the all time top ten just remember who has faced, litterally no one...
    Great points I think Mike Weaver and Tim Witherspoon smoke Joshua in three rounds or less

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure, all 3 very talented but also guys that weren't massive or that durable, I could see AJ or Luis Ortiz smashing any of them to be honest. To early to say how a drawn out fight would have gone, Witherspoon especially was a very good boxer when he was on.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Not sure, all 3 very talented but also guys that weren't massive or that durable, I could see AJ or Luis Ortiz smashing any of them to be honest. To early to say how a drawn out fight would have gone, Witherspoon especially was a very good boxer when he was on.
    The bigger modern guys would have a couple of rounds to smash them out and then after that I think the genius and the craftiness of witherspoon or Thomas would smoke their asses in the 7th or 8th round I think

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most of the 80's fighters you name were talented but had drug habits and therefore inconsistent.

AJ could beat them if he lives up to his potential.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joshua had faced "literally" no one it would mean he's never had a fight.

I'd take the team from these days over those particular 80s fighters. I don't need the fat bouncer, the other two will do
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am stunned actually that people have forgotten that it took a prime Mike Tyson six or seven rounds to get pinklon Thomas out of there and that Mike Weaver and Tim Witherspoon both took Larry Holmes to to his Breaking Point.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I only saw Thomas vs Tyson and he was a bit shot at that point. Only thing I noticed he had great chin and pride of an ex-champ

I'd say Joshua would struggle with sparring partners of Mike and Thomas was definitely better than just a sparring partner
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    I am stunned actually that people have forgotten that it took a prime Mike Tyson six or seven rounds to get pinklon Thomas out of there and that Mike Weaver and Tim Witherspoon both took Larry Holmes to to his Breaking Point.
    Witherspoon was very good against Holmes but awful against Bonecrusher.

They were talented on their day but those days were not always there.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whitherspoon v Joshua

http://youtu.be/mG9G3zN48g0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The heavyweight division out side of the 70's and 90's really was never that stacked so i say its a toss up really that being said the drug problem for the 80's guys is a problem. I mean as far as i can see none of those guys fighting right now had coke problem but who knows they might hide it well.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    The heavyweight division out side of the 70's and 90's really was never that stacked so i say its a toss up really that being said the drug problem for the 80's guys is a problem. I mean as far as i can see none of those guys fighting right now had coke problem but who knows they might hide it well.
    Razor Ruddock vs deontay wilder

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prime V Prime, the 80's guys were definitely better. And it's true what @ross said, that AJ hasn't beaten anybody of note yet.
    That maybe/maybe not change in next 18 months, but even if AJ beat everybody out there , it doesn't say much because the current crop aren't all that great.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 1980's heavyweights get a bad rep. They were sandwiched between the dominant Holmes and Tyson Eras (a bit like the guys sandwiched between Loius and Marciano).

It is probably true to say that during this period, Don King ruled the scene and got all his own fighters to defend against each other only. There were enough contract rip offs for many of them to be inactive for a long time while they were in disputes with King.

The 1980s were also the time that real hard drugs became an epidemic in American inner cities, and the heavies of the time were no more immune to it than anyone else.

Looking at it objectively, though, there was some talent around.

Tony Tubbs was a very talented and skilled heavyweight who let himself down with Riddick Bowe style indiscipline outside the ring.

I thought Bonecrusher Smith and Mike Weaver were big strong and awkward gatekeeper fighters, like Ron Lyle or Gerry Quarry. Would give you a tough fight but weren't genuine championship quality.

Tim Witherspoon was pretty underrated. He was decent sized, a tough Philly fighter and he had a good engine despite not having a chiselled physique. He knew his trade and he knew how to fight.

Outside of the Holmes' and the Tysons, I rate Micheal Dokes and Pinklon at the top here. Dokes was tough and a good fighter. He gave a peak Holyfield all the trouble he could handle and would be dangerous against anyone. Could box, could punch, good chin. A recidivist drug addict, though, which is why he didn't fulfill his potential.

Pinklon was a very very good fighter. The best jab since prime Larry, good stamina, excellent technique. Another fighter from the days when people actually had to learn their trade before they could hope to win a world title. Another drug addict .... surprise surprise.

Weaver and Bonecrusher would likely not beat all of Fury, Joshua or Wilder ..... but I'd bet they would ambush and surprise one of them with an early shock stoppage. They would not be likely to hold on to the title long!

I think Pinklon, Witherspoon and Dokes would have been very competitive with Fury. They could all actually fight and handle themselves in the ring.

I think they might well all defeat Wilder. He is a magnificent athlete and has good power, but he is so unschooled and amateur in his technique that these guys would just know too much for him.

Not sure about Joshua. Another fine athlete, and a big hitter. His technique looks better than Wilder and we don't know about his stamina or chin. Hard to say!!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information