Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Josh Warrington v Sofiane Takoucht

Josh Warrington returns as boxing’s perfect antidote to culture of glitz, excess and broken promises

In many ways Josh Warrington is the perfect antidote to the routine excesses in the boxing business where fights collapse, boxers are banned and promises are endlessly broken.

Warrington defends his IBF featherweight title for the third time on Saturday when he meets Frenchman Sofiane Takoucht at the First Direct Arena in his beloved Leeds. No other prizefighter in Britain has Warrington’s devoted following, a flock that has grown steadily since the boxer’s early punishing days fighting on the lost circuit in leisure centres and tiny hotels.

Warrington is from the wrong side of the boxing tracks and was never displayed like a nine-stone show pony in the glare of a big arena’s neon beam when he was learning the old trade. He was never presented like a prized dog in some modern court of extremes and fake adulation by promoters or television executives; Warrington probably had a hot dog surrounded by his pals on an away day at Southend United instead.

He had hard fights on tough nights in honest acts of matchmaking, he came through bloodied and improved and then, when he could no longer be denied, he was matched for the world title at Elland Road and was given no chance. Trust me, nobody in the very heart of the game was desperate to fight Warrington.

At Elland Road as the football hymns rattled the roof, Warrington defied the conventional thinking to beat Lee Selby last May and then in December, once again as the designated loser, he won the British fight of the year when he beat Carl Frampton in a sell-out in Manchester.

Selby was a fluke win, a bad night for the champion, some cynics offered, but the Frampton win finally altered the discussions. Warrington could really fight and Frampton led the praise: “Some bastard told me Warrington can’t punch - he’s a liar,” he said. Beating Selby and Frampton makes Warrington the best British fighter of last year and in a sport tarnished by multiple baubles there is no need for an official prize.

Warrington, unlike so many British champions and leading contenders, has never felt the need to tell people how good he is. There are no boastful rants, no verbal assaults on potential opponents and that has often meant he is ignored in the world of quickly dismissed flickering giants. Warrington still drops off tickets for his fights to his punters, driving to their homes and far from the spotlight he walks the corridors of a children’s cancer ward - he finds inspiration there. “I’m just a normal Leeds lad,” Warrington insists.

In June of this year Warrington completed a trio of wins over British feathers when he came through an ugly, often mauling and always difficult 12 rounds to retain his title against Kid Galahad. It was a fight forced on him by the quirks of a sanctioning body and their intricate mandatory policy. “It’s hard to look good against Barry,” offered Warrington, who referred to Galahad as Barry, which is his given name.

It is no surprise that the other world champions and top fighters at his weight in America, an odd mix of the brash, flash, brilliant, protected and reclusive have dismissed Warrington. Some of the other feathers would struggle to pack a moped with their fans and, oddly, that is not an issue in America right now where multiple television deals seem to have put promoters under pressure to constantly deliver content in a swamp of live action.

On Saturday, as the walls at the venue start to sweat, Warrington will look to make easy work of Takoucht, not because he is inferior but because he knows that he has to stay in boasting range of the division’s other names; Selby, Frampton and Galahad could all be defeated on points, Takoucht needs to be worn down and stopped.

It sounds harsh, but it is true. “I have always wanted a big fight against a big name in America,” said Warrington. It is fair to say that he is probably just one win away from getting his wish and taking his Leeds horde on the road.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jos...090900901.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Josh Warrington v Sofiane Takoucht

Josh Warrington to be joined on ring walk by Leeds midfielder Pablo Hernandez for IBF featherweight title fight

Josh Warrington has announced that Pablo Hernandez will accompany him to the ring for his IBF featherweight title fight against Sofia Takoucht this weekend.

The Leeds-born fighter will make the third defence of his title, since beating Lee Selby at Elland Road back in 2018, when he takes on his mandatory challenger.

It has become something of a tradition for Warrington to walk into battle with a Leeds player by his side, having had captain Liam Cooper, Gaetano Berardi and Jamie Shackleton, Vinnie Jones, Jermaine Beckford and legendary defender Lucas Radebe alongside him.

Hernandez, the former Valencia and Swansea midfielder, arrived on loan in 2016 before making a permanent switch the following year.

He is currently sidelined with after picking up an injury against Derby last month, but the Spaniard is expected to make a return to action after the international break.

“[Hernandez] was arguably one of our best players last season,” Warrington told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

“He has brought passion and selfless commitment to the club. He’s Leeds.”

‘The Leeds Warrior’ who beat Kid Galahad by split decision in June, said in September, he would be willing to face Vasyl Lomachenko back at featherweight, should the latter move down from lightweight.

“He’s a fantastic champion and a multi-weight champion, of course I’d want to have a go. He’s not a spring chicken and he’s not getting any younger.

“I’m not saying he’s past it or he’s on the slide because he looked red-hot against Luke Campbell.

“It was fascinating to watch, as a boxing fan, how he implemented his game plan, he just changed what he had to do to break Luke Campbell down.

“It was unbelievable, but if he came back to featherweight I’d put my hand up.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...t-title-fight/

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let’s be real, this fight is a joke. No reason a belt holder should be fighting a guy this level.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evening.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Masoud v Talavera on now.

Masoud switch hitting like Naz and leaves his chin in the air but wins the first round.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosoud clearly wins second round and enjoying it now as his opponent is less aggressive.

2 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Masoud looking very confident and comfortable in the 3rd round outgoing Talevera

3 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Masoud is getting very cocky in there his opponent is tiring and swinging wildly.

4 nil

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He will sell a lot of tickets, but will find that relying on his speed and reflexes will not be enough as he progresses. Let's see if he can box safe this round like his coach has asked.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Masoud landing cleanly now in the 5th, very confident.

5 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Comprehensive outboxed his opponent. Not a big puncher but 6 nil winner Masoud.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Entertaining. Will be interesting to see how he handles someone who cut the ring off and forces him to be more compact.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mould v Ramos on now but this looks a formality.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where is @Batman nowadays? Does Nige have him under the thumb? The local Indian takeaways and offies must be losing a fortune.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Where is @Batman nowadays? Does Nige have him under the thumb? The local Indian takeaways and offies must be losing a fortune.
    Batman was here commentating on the Spence car crash.

Thread Information