Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins this LW clash?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Duran vs Whitaker, prime vs prime at LW

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Duran vs Whitaker, prime vs prime at LW

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    So....back to the question at hand.

JMM vs Armstrong
    Benny vs DuranGun to my head. Benny wins a rematch
    Mosley vs Sweet Pea. But its another that could go either way. Shane looked indestructible at 135 but in truth his record was a little deceiving. Several stiffs.135 was not Pernell's best weight but Shane never saw anything like him.
    Ike Williams vs Mayweather. As unpopular as that may be. Floyd is a much better fighter now then he was at 135

Advance it from there gentlemen!
    A little fence sitting but that's how I see it. I can also see most of them going the other way. As crazy as it sounds I'm more sure about Williams beating Floyd @135 then I am on the outcome of the others.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chinchekked View Post
    Whitaker wins a decision, underrated toughness and his pure boxing ability helps him win in a close but clear decision. Duran was a tough SOB but he could be outboxed and I think Whitaker would have just enough pop at LW to allow him to box Duran over 15. Now that being said I wouldn't be suprised if Whitaker gets dropped 1 or 2 times late to lose a close decision or even get tko'd but at 135 I just don't see that happening. Pernell is the man @135 IMO
    Agreed and nice av.

At LW, Duran never boxed anyone close to Pernell.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JMM vs Armstrong – Armstrong points being busier and not giving Marquez the time or space to counter.
    Benny vs Duran – Duran catches up with Benny and over powers him to a decision.
    Mosley vs Sweet Pete – Sweet pea outpointing Shane comfortably in most part.
    Ike Williams vs Mayweather – Williams is a tough hard and entertaining fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the most intriguing, theoretical match ups in any division in history for me!!

Gun to the head I pick Duran, but he wouldn't have liked having the piss taken out him a la Leonard II, so who knows!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for myself regarding these hypthetical matchups I would have to say:

*]JMM over armstrong because if an older JMM could eventually breakdown Diaz over 8 rounds a fresher marquez could do it equally to Armstrong.

* Duran would beat benny because infighters with boxing skill are the damn nightmare of pure boxers.

*Ugh...See I honestly think Mosley is perhaps the hardest hitting lightweight, he KO'd people at 154, so his power carried from 135 to 154 and thats a big jump too. Sweet Pea had beed KD'd before but never really hurt and damn damn damn I hate picking a winner in this one but gun to my head and knife to my balls I would pick Shane due to his sheer blinding handspeed, pop and tenacity at 135.

* I'd pick Mayweather over Ike ala Chico Corrales.

As for the losers bracket:

Armstrong vs Sweet Pete Hammering Hank is gonna eat that right handed jab all night long.

Ike vs Benny I dont see Ike landing that right enough to win the fight.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Armstrong beats Marquez. At 135 Armstrong was still young, if not at his peak then almost there, while, at that weight, Marquez had slowed a bit. It would be a good fight, but Armstrong knows how to bring pressure and maintain it. A guy like Diaz just comes and throws punches, but because he gets his weight up on his left foot, he doesn't punch too hard and he eats uppercuts. Armstrong didn't do it that way. Wide UD with late round domination by Armstrong, or he stops Marquez late.
    Ike Williams was a really really good fighter and he could do it all. Box real good, every punch in the book, fight inside or outside. He's going to beat Mayweather.
    Mosley was something at LW; he fought like an old time fighter. By that I mean, he didn't slip and then punch, or bob/weave, then punch. He punched on the move, and you don't see that any more. He was fast and hit hard, and it wouldn't suprise me if he stopped Whitaker.
    Benny Leonard vs Duran should probably be the finals (unless Armstrong or Williams beat Duran). Leonard hit hard, but not as hard as Duran, and he was faster, better defensively, and he was smarter than Duran, especially Duran at LW. (Not that Duran was stupid, he just got smarter later) Leonard could hold his own inside, too. After all, he was 5'5", so it isn't like he was an outside fighter. He moved back and forth realk well.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    JMM vs Armstrong – Armstrong points being busier and not giving Marquez the time or space to counter.
    JMM doesn't need guys to give him time and space, he makes it pretty well IMO

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Armstrong was perpetual motion when he got started and did not stop until the last bell. He would be too much for JMM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Armstrong was perpetual motion when he got started and did not stop until the last bell. He would be too much for JMM.

Yeah right. He did that well against guys who would stand in front of him. A counter puncher of JMM's skill would eat him up throwing those wild shots.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hank wasn't a big puncher either, he was a "wear you down" guy, and he wouldn't land that consistently on JMM without taking some big bombs in return.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If a prime Manny Pacquiao isn'tperpetual motion, I don'tknowwhat is!
    Also, I personallythink JCC lost the fight to Pernell through fatigue, even though he wasn'texactlymissing with a great deal of shots. I think Duran puts a bit of a beating on Pernell in spots en route to a close UD.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hank wasn't a big puncher either, he was a "wear you down" guy, and he wouldn't land that consistently on JMM without taking some big bombs in return.
    Lol pardon me

Hank scored 27 straight ko's from 1937 to 1938 getting the featherweight title in the process. Not only is that fight total in one year almost a ten year career today but they were all knockouts. Prior to loosing his lightweight title in a rematch with Ambers he was on a winning streak of 46 and 0 with 39 knockouts.

NOTE to @Jimanuel Boogustus. After Hanks death it was found that he had an abnormally sized heart. By some reports almost twice the size of what was considered normal and not caused by disease. Scientists have concluded that suck a ticker was responsible for the horrendous pace he set in his fights.
    Sure Manny was relentless but he's not even on the same page.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Lol pardon me

Hank scored 27 straight ko's from 1937 to 1938 getting the featherweight title in the process. Not only is that fight total in one year almost a ten year career today but they were all knockouts. Prior to loosing his lightweight title in a rematch with Ambers he was on a winning streak of 46 and 0 with 39 knockouts.

NOTE to @Jimanuel Boogustus. After Hanks death it was found that he had an abnormally sized heart. By some reports almost twice the size of what was considered normal and not caused by disease. Scientists have concluded that suck a ticker was responsible for the horrendous pace he set in his fights.
    Sure Manny was relentless but he's not even on the same page.
    Yes Armstrong had a very slow heart beat which meant once he was warmed up he could fight forever.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Process of elimination: First, there's no way in hell Whitaker knocks Duran out. So scratch those options. I consider that Duran's best weight was LW. He was an awesome force, with constant pressure and an amazing work output. Whitaker could hang with him for awhile, and likely use his own awesome defensive skills to avoid a lot of flush punches. He'd surely outbox Duran through some stretches. But I don't see any other outcome but a Duran win by decision, or a late TKO. He beat SRL.... he would beat Sweat Pea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Duran by KO. A prime Duran at Lightweight was inhuman...
    Couldn't have said it better.
    *Duran was all action, never got tired,, this is not even a good question. U tell me how Pernell was gunna hit Duran without getting smashed? if Duran doesn't ko him, he beats him badly on the cards... Whitaker was all defence, little offence... c'mon... Duran beat Ray Leonard in his prime...

Thread Information