Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Logic Behind a Pacquiao win...makes no sense

Hey guys, it's been a while and I probably have been forgotten at this point but this fight was worth a return to one of my favorite places.

I've been debating a lot regarding this fight and honestly the logic behind a pacqiou win confuses me. Here's the two things i've heard the most......

"Floyd Gets Koed"
    welll my thinking is......
    1. Floyd has never been down
    2. Pacman couldn't put bradley down, a guy who has been down a few times in his career
    3. And he hasn't gotten anyone out of there for a looonngg timmeee

So unless something is awfully off with Floyd i don't see this happening at all

The other things i hear is

"Pac will outwork mayweather"

1. Assuming he can just walk through Floyds punches, which so far none of his 47 opponents have been able to do, not even tough chinned guys like Maidana and Canelo.
    2. Mayweather only gets busier when pressed and rarely actually loses rounds.
    3. Pacqiou had a hard time cutting an old Mosely off
    4. Mayweather is not Algerie

Overall I think it's crazy to assume pacman wins this fight at this stage of his career. His physique looks worn, he's not the same man who beat down a Cotto or a Margarito. And overall i feel like the guys that "troubled" floyd were rough houses who were physically imposing themselves on Mayweather. In this fight Money also has the size advantage, which isn't where you want to be against Floyd. Overall, call me crazy, but i think we see a Mayweather vs Gatti moment. Mostly due to the fact that i think some time after 6 rounds, manny will go for broke.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Logic Behind a Pacquiao win...makes no sense

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post
    Hey guys, it's been a while and I probably have been forgotten at this point but this fight was worth a return to one of my favorite places.

I've been debating a lot regarding this fight and honestly the logic behind a pacqiou win confuses me. Here's the two things i've heard the most......

"Floyd Gets Koed"
    2. Pacman couldn't put bradley down, a guy who has been down a few times in his career

1. Assuming he can just walk through Floyds punches, which so far none of his 47 opponents have been able to do, not even tough chinned guys like Maidana and Canelo.

Overall I think it's crazy to assume pacman wins this fight at this stage of his career. His physique looks worn, he's not the same man who beat down a Cotto or a Margarito. And overall i feel like the guys that "troubled" floyd were rough houses who were physically imposing themselves on Mayweather. In this fight Money also has the size advantage, which isn't where you want to be against Floyd. Overall, call me crazy, but i think we see a Mayweather vs Gatti moment. Mostly due to the fact that i think some time after 6 rounds, manny will go for broke.
    Well, we'll find out in just 5 days.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I noticed that Pacquiao lacks an inside game.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    I noticed that Pacquiao lacks an inside game.
    tell that to Cotto, he was forcing an inside fight but that uppercut though

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Floyd Gets Koed"

and floyd is a spring chicken right...........

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Compared to Manny,yes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd may not be as fast with his feet as he was when he was young, but i don't think his head movement, hand speed, or power changed all that much over the years. He actually seems like a smarter fighter than he once was and has not been in the same wars as Manny. @chris6878
    Last edited by Master; 04-29-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Floyd Gets Koed"

Well, as to the knockout by Manny, I agree that it is difficult to see. However, as to out-working Floyd, I can see that happening because Floyd throws less punches than the average welterweight (about 10 less per round) and Manny throws more punches than the average welterweight (about 10 more per round). On the numbers alone, it is a distinct possibility. Also, Mayweather lost more rounds against Maidana in their first fight than he has in a long time, and Maidana isn't half as fast as Manny, which might mean that that Floyd doesn't have the same use of his legs as he once possessed. So, this all leads me to believe that there is the chance that Pacquiao outworks Mayweather until Mayweather times him. What if that doesn't happen until the 6th or 7th round and Pacquiao has won a large number of the first 5 or 6 rounds and snags one or two at the end of the fight? I'm not saying it will happen this way, but I see it is as a possibility.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

"Floyd Gets Koed"

Well, as to the knockout by Manny, I agree that it is difficult to see. However, as to out-working Floyd, I can see that happening because Floyd throws less punches than the average welterweight (about 10 less per round) and Manny throws more punches than the average welterweight (about 10 more per round). On the numbers alone, it is a distinct possibility. Also, Mayweather lost more rounds against Maidana in their first fight than he has in a long time, and Maidana isn't half as fast as Manny, which might mean that that Floyd doesn't have the same use of his legs as he once possessed. So, this all leads me to believe that there is the chance that Pacquiao outworks Mayweather until Mayweather times him. What if that doesn't happen until the 6th or 7th round and Pacquiao has won a large number of the first 5 or 6 rounds and snags one or two at the end of the fight? I'm not saying it will happen this way, but I see it is as a possibility.
    That makes sense, i can see how it is a possibility but i think highly unlikely. I did re watch the first Maidana fight recently and it did seem to me that he was relaxed throughout the whole fight, I could be wrong, but it did actually look as if Floyd was intentionally sitting on the ropes. Plus Maidana is a much bigger guy then Floyd, he was able to rough Floyd up, Pac may be faster, but he doesnt have that "tank like" presence in the ring necessary to bully floyd from corner to corner.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny has speed, southpaw stance, high work rate and high volume of punches which will cause Floyd some problems early. Floyd adjusts and takes over the fight. Manny will then have to take chances and because Manny was knocked out cold he is gun shy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Manny has speed, southpaw stance, high work rate and high volume of punches which will cause Floyd some problems early. Floyd adjusts and takes over the fight. Manny will then have to take chances and because Manny was knocked out cold he is gun shy.
    Something tells me he wont be gun shy for this fight, I don't see Pacqiou cruising to a decision loss against Floyd. Which will set him up to many more counters. I think it's likely this fight gets stopped late.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The more I think of it, the more I see it like @Rantcatrat (quote button won't work today). Pacquiao could get very close to winning if Floyd looses the first rounds. And if he looses them more clearly than is usual in him (we're talking about Pac) or at least the judges think so, then...

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Something tells me he wont be gun shy for this fight, I don't see Pacqiou cruising to a decision loss against Floyd. Which will set him up to many more counters. I think it's likely this fight gets stopped late.
    You think the millions of fans that support Pac man will force Manny to go for the win and he may walk into a big right hand? Yes possibly.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me, the key to the fight lies with how Mayweather reacts to Pacquiao's leads. If Mayweather isn't initially shocked by the speed, he will be able to avoid the very first punch of most combinations by dipping below the waist, which will probably cause the fighters to clinch. This takes away Pacquiao's volume punching, which is basically his key to winning the fight. I can see the fight being fairly clumsy in that regard with all the clean work offensive work coming from Floyd.

Pacquiao can outwork Floyd, but it all depends on whether or not he can land his lead on Mayweather. My expectation is that he will have a bit of success with it early on, but Mayweather will adjust, feel his way into the fight and probably do enough to take it probably 8-4. My expectation is that if Pacquiao does enough to win 3 or 4 rounds, there will be some sort of scorecard controversy which will probably lead to a rematch.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe/Hopkins. The workrate and speed should be enough to outwork the older cagier spoil minded guy.

Thread Information