Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves with no foam padding to be used in Jeff Horn's fight with Terence Crawford

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gloves with no foam padding to be used in Jeff Horn's fight with Terence Crawford

This is a new one on me.....

The chances of a knockout in Jeff Horn’s world title defence against Terence Crawford have risen dramatically with both fighters to use gloves with next to no padding.
    Horn’s trainer Glenn Rushton has decided to fight fire with fire after learning through sponsors Everlast that Crawford intended to use gloves made of horse hair rather than the customary foam padding for their 9 June showdown in Las Vegas.
    Horse-hair gloves can be easily manipulated to expose the knuckles and increase punching power, with Rushton describing them as “Clayton’s gloves: the gloves you have when you’re not having a glove.”
    Rushton said it was a decision the unbeaten American would live to regret. “It is a real game-changer and it probably doubles the shock, I would say, through the glove,” he said. “If he wants to go back to the primitive days, if he wants a gladiator contest and fight with these on, then so be it.”
    The discovery is testament to Rushton’s no-stone-unturned approach to preparation and ensures it won’t be a nasty shock when they arrive at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

“That’s part of what I do,” he said. “It’s a matter of doing your research. I need to know exactly what Crawford thinks, what he eats, how he trains, how he sleeps, what his demons are.”
    Horn has never fought with horse-hair gloves before but will now get the chance to train with them and adjust to the impact over the next four weeks.

While the 30-year-old has had hand issues before, Rushton said they were now like “steel” and would absorb the extra damage thanks to a specially-tailored conditioning program. “If anyone lands a clean punch with one of these gloves it’s going to hurt just like getting a bare punch to the face,” Horn said. “It’s going to be dangerous in there.”
    Rushton also said the postponement of the fight from the original April date had worked in their favour, claiming Horn would be “20%” fitter and stronger having now undergone a double preparation.

“I think this is going to be a knockout,” he said. “To survive 12 rounds with very aggressive fighters here, it’s going to be almost superhuman to do it. Watching the power he’s displaying lately, when I visualise Jeff with these gloves out there, we’re in for one heck of a battle.”

www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/03/gloves-with-no-foam-padding-to-be-used-in-jeff-horns-fight-with-terence-crawford
    Last edited by smashup; 05-04-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gloves with no foam padding to be used in Jeff Horn's fight with Terence Crawford

That would injure their hands?

Stupid, crazy and silly. Should not be allowed.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gloves with no foam padding to be used in Jeff Horn's fight with Terence Crawford

How is it even still legal knowing that any padding can be manipulated tampered with? What next, Horn soaking his face and hands in brine also?

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Terrence is going to beat horn senseless

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They could wear Michael Jackson sequined gloves for all it matters. Horn is getting battered.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Horse-hair gloves can be easily manipulated to expose the knuckles and increase punching power"

Imagine getting a right hander off AJ with these gloves, gotta be some serious facial bone damage to follow!

In boxing, punching hard and fast can carry you to victory in the ring, but it can also do damage to your hands. Protecting your hands is a must for serious boxers and for amateurs simply looking to get in a solid workout on the bags. Horsehair padding was originally used in all boxing gloves, but many modern gloves are filled with latex foam. There are advantages and disadvantages to each type of glove, but foam is the ideal choice for modern boxers.

Horsehair Padding

Horsehair gloves are durable and help you dish out some major force, but they aren't ideal for protecting your hands against an opponent's skull or a heavy bag in the gym. Modern companies that still utilize horsehair filling pride themselves on producing "puncher's gloves." Reduced padding may do more damage to your hands, but it also allows for more powerful punches.

Foam Padding

Foam padding has continued to grow in popularity and sophistication over the last few decades. The material used in foam training and competition gloves consists of a special combination of shock-absorbing PVC foam and latex. Since the ratios of the foam ingredients can be modified depending on the purpose of the gloves, they are much more versatile than horsehair gloves.

The Modern Glove

Traditionalists and true knockout artists may still prefer horsehair padding in their boxing gloves, but the superior modern gloves are made with latex foam padding. In the boxing world, protecting your hands is of the utmost importance. In addition to making for a harder surface, horsehair padding absorbs sweat and moisture, making them wear down faster than foam gloves.

Brands and Other Categories

The type of padding you want in your glove is only one of many decisions you'll need to make before finding your ideal pair. If you're just planning to hit the bag and do some light sparring, thick, highly padded gloves are ideal. If you're more serious about competition, you'll want to opt for lighter and thinner gloves that offer more wrist support. Generic brands are fine for beginners, but more powerful boxers need to invest in higher quality gloves to avoid injury.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    How is it even still legal knowing that any padding can be manipulated tampered with? What next, Horn soaking his face and hands in brine also?
    I think the brine thing although used is a bit of a myth. Drying out your skin is actually going to make it more likely to split (face or hands). You want loads of collagen so soft, good condition skin is actually less likely to tear.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This horse hair thing is total horse shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I think the brine thing although used is a bit of a myth. Drying out your skin is actually going to make it more likely to split (face or hands). You want loads of collagen so soft, good condition skin is actually less likely to tear.
    Can you see this man ever dabbing on an even coat of moisturizer in the morning

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's what really makes it insane..didn't Crawford have to pull out of the first date because of a hand injury?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish Crawford was able to use these gloves on Horns idiot promoter.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's what really makes it insane..didn't Crawford have to pull out of the first date because of a hand injury?
    If you have hand injury you want as much padding as possible.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shouldn't boxing gloves padding fall under the category of.......

if it ain't broke don't fix it?!?!?

El Kabong Guest

Bud Crawford should win this one with ease. I'm not sure why all the fuss over horsehair over foam? The more protected the hands are the more power you as the fighter are willing to throw with because the likelihood is that you won't hurt your hand. The more you can feel on your fist the more likely you are to hurt your hand and the more likely there will be cuts on your opponent's face.

Also aren't Cleto Reyes gloves all horsehair?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Bud Crawford should win this one with ease. I'm not sure why all the fuss over horsehair over foam? The more protected the hands are the more power you as the fighter are willing to throw with because the likelihood is that you won't hurt your hand. The more you can feel on your fist the more likely you are to hurt your hand and the more likely there will be cuts on your opponent's face.

Also aren't Cleto Reyes gloves all horsehair?
    Aren't those often referred to as 'punchers' gloves. Tough one because they wouldn't be willing to throw with as much power as foam then? I think it is just simple preference per fighter, also as fighter ages some have to switch from hair to foam with collected damage as well as simply learning punch technique, style changes so on and so forth. Shoot not to mention compensating hair with thick hand wrap, strictly within the rules of course . I think a with a 'true' puncher power translates either way. May benefit Crawford as he's a sharp switch hitting punchers, then again foam padding may be better as he's more often then not going to be hitting the top of Horns free swinging head.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 05-09-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Thread Information