Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't Lewis/Golota/Briggs/Bowe, etc. TEMPTED....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why isn't Lewis/Golota/Briggs/Bowe, etc. TEMPTED....

..at the very least to TRY to comeback? The division is so crummy. Those guys could still hang with the nonsense that's fighting nowadays.

WHo else could make a decent thing out of a comeback? What the hell ever happened to Larry Donald or Samson Puoha or Jimmy Thunder or even Obed Sullivan?

Somebody please tell them its OK to comeback now.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why isn't Lewis/Golota/Briggs/Bowe, etc. TEMPTED....

Bowe did comeback a few months ago and was shit

Golota also fought late last year and was shit
    Hidden Content

If it's yellow, let it mellow... If it's brown, invite me 'round...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    ..at the very least to TRY to comeback? The division is so crummy. Those guys could still hang with the nonsense that's fighting nowadays.

WHo else could make a decent thing out of a comeback? What the hell ever happened to Larry Donald or Samson Puoha or Jimmy Thunder or even Obed Sullivan?

Well there is only Lewis who is not fighting from the list in the title. Golota was being promised a title shot off Don King after his win over Mollo and then got beat off Ray Austin. Briggs is apparently being lined up for Valuev and Riddick Bowe fought not long ago and looked a mess!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are all pretty old and crummy. Lewis is retired though, he seems to have a few marbles.

jon09 Guest

Smile Re: Why isn't Lewis/Golota/Briggs/Bowe, etc. TEMPTED....

Bowe is done see the Billy Zumbrum fight. The other guys you mentioned are pretty old and ring worn. The 1 fighter that needs to get himself together is David Tua who can beat everyone in the heavies except the Klitschkos. Peter vs Tua anyone?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way, Tua is shite and scared of his own shadow nowadays.

Bowe looked alot better in his recent fight than he did in his comeback fights a few years before, he had decent hand speed and put some nice punches together, he shouldnt be fighting any more but you could see a touch of class there.

Golota is slow like a robot now, Briggs has always been a bag of crap.

I see lewis coming back and having a rematch with Vitali, as when Haye has been flattened there just arent any exciting match up out there.

There are no old names that can come back now and be successfull, not at the top level anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golata is hurt right now,pretty bad,he might not even be able to comeback

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tua is scheduled to fight Shane Cameron sometime this year.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

Everyone hates the entire division for one fight? I never had faith in Sam Peter, even when he was 24(21 KO)-0-0 and people said he was "The next Ike Ibeabuchi/Mike Tyson" I said he was a slow plodding wide punching sloppy fighter and that's why I wasn't surprised when Wladimir beat him soundly.

As for your comeback fighters, Lennox can't beat Vitali now and he knows it and he knows he would have to fight him if he came back. Vitali is 100% behind Lewis retiring, regardless of the outcome of the fight.

Andrew Golota is still fighting, Riddick Bowe BARELY got passed Billy Zumbrun, Shannon Briggs weighs LITTERALLY 400 pounds...and if you think any of those guys could do anything then certainly you'd think Evander Holyfield would have done something by now.

As bored as people are with The Klitschko's, you still have to respect their skill. They are talented all-around boxers and though they may have a slower pace than what you think you remember of the division, their opponents aren't all that great a bunch to choose from.

El Kabong Guest

It seems that in the heavyweight division that the fans are never pleased with the here and now.

When Holyfield was around he couldn't punch, when Lewis was around he boxed too much and had a weak chin, and I'm sure people had issues with Bowe and Tyson as well

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tua..... just what in the helz happened to this man?Ponder what he could have been.I think he is one of the most unfulfilled heavys in resent memory.

jon09 Guest

Smile Re: Why isn't Lewis/Golota/Briggs/Bowe, etc. TEMPTED....

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Tua..... just what in the helz happened to this man?Ponder what he could have been.I think he is one of the most unfulfilled heavys in resent memory.
    Yep he has wasted his talent and never got his full confidence back after the Lewis fight. Tua has 1 of the best chins in boxing and a left hook from hell. I don't see why he never picked up a different trainer like a Steward or a Mayweather to show him something new and put him right mentally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruce Seldon

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    Bruce Seldon
    Hard to think of another fighter that I had been so wrong about in how they would pan out.He appeared to have it all very early on..whoops

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    It seems that in the heavyweight division that the fans are never pleased with the here and now.

When Holyfield was around he couldn't punch, when Lewis was around he boxed too much and had a weak chin, and I'm sure people had issues with Bowe and Tyson as well
    Lyle, you're pretty consistent in your defense of the HW division, and for that I gotta give you some credit. Especially in the face of the general consensus, which is that the division is CRAP (and I'm part of the general consensus).

On the other hand, maybe it's all relative. Maybe the HWs only look so bad because there are other divisions that are SO MUCH BETTER. So in comparison, the HWs look like shit.

And yet... when you compare today's crop of HWs with those of past eras, I think you're doing the past HWs a disservice. Holyfield, Lewis, and Tyson in their peaks were head and shoulders above any of the HWs in the Top 10 today. Only the Klitschko brothers could probably hang with those guys, and I'm not sure I'm sold on the "post-comeback" Vitali just yet. It's the Klitschko brothers... and then a bunch of "roadkill."

And it's too bad, too. 'Cause a lot of people (the casual fans) only watch boxing when the big boys fight. We need someone to shake things up.... SOON!

Thread Information