Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bute v. Grachev 11/3/12

I'm scratching my head a bit with this choice of opponent for Bute. Grachev (12-0) just starched unbeaten Ismayl "The Black Russian" Sillakh. He is a big puncher with a granite chin. Is he too tough of a foe for Bute to face in a comeback fight after Bute suffered his first defeat, a dehabilitating knockout loss at that, and especially when a big money Froch rematch looms in the future?

Lucian Bute will face Denis Grachev before Carl Froch rematch - ESPN

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I'm scratching my head a bit with this choice of opponent for Bute. Grachev (12-0) just starched unbeaten Ismayl "The Black Russian" Sillakh. He is a big puncher with a granite chin. Is he too tough of a foe for Bute to face in a comeback fight after Bute suffered his first defeat, a dehabilitating knockout loss at that, and especially when a big money Froch rematch looms in the future?

Lucian Bute will face Denis Grachev before Carl Froch rematch - ESPN
    I think this is exactly the type of opponent he should face, granite chin and big puncher two qualities that effed him against froch. I think bute is really tryin to prepare himself for froch and give himself a chance at victory by facing this guy as opposed to facing someone he knows he could beat but then be in the deep end again against froch. Good choice I say

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bute v. Grachev 11/3/12

You know, I do agree there with what Armin says, with Bute needing to learn how to deal with the pressure more, as he really can't fight going backwards at all I dont think. But, that being said, they could have chose a slightly softer touch after the pasting he took against Froch.

I watched the Grachev vs Sylakh fight, and Grachev is gonna take some stopping I'd say. Be tempted to throw it out there and say Grachev stops Bute. He was relentless against Sylakh. Id like to think Butes team know what they are doin but who knows.....

Most important thing for us boxing fans is that it should be a VERY competitive fight IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch is far more active and accurate than this guy and times u well

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMacMagician View Post
    You know, I do agree there with what Armin says, with Bute needing to learn how to deal with the pressure more, as he really can't fight going backwards at all I dont think. But, that being said, they could have chose a slightly softer touch after the pasting he took against Froch.

I watched the Grachev vs Sylakh fight, and Grachev is gonna take some stopping I'd say. Be tempted to throw it out there and say Grachev stops Bute. He was relentless against Sylakh. Id like to think Butes team know what they are doin but who knows.....

Most important thing for us boxing fans is that it should be a VERY competitive fight IMO.
    Great fight and you said exactly what I wanted to say! Big respect to Bute for taking this fight, it's going to be a cracker. I was impressed with Grachev when he beat Sylakh, if Bute gets through this one it will set him up nicely for the Froch rematch.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did well against pressure fighters before - think Bika and Andrade. Froch clearly is a different animal. However, I agree that this fight does help prepare Bute. It will be good for his confidence too, if he wins, but it's a tough fight to take after suffering a hard knock out by Froch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

He did well against pressure fighters before - think Bika and Andrade. Froch clearly is a different animal. However, I agree that this fight does help prepare Bute. It will be good for his confidence too, if he wins, but it's a tough fight to take after suffering a hard knock out by Froch.
    I think people forget just how good frochs reflexes are

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think someone who's 12-0-1 with an MD win recently and only 8 KO;s seems like a piss poor interim fight in my mind! admittedly I have not seen him fight but it seems like someone bite could outbox with his left hand tied behind his back!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1 View Post
    I think someone who's 12-0-1 with an MD win recently and only 8 KO;s seems like a piss poor interim fight in my mind! admittedly I have not seen him fight but it seems like someone bite could outbox with his left hand tied behind his back!
    Who could he fight though that would prepare him for froch he can clearly beat the bikas and andrades of the world with ease...so I think this is a good choice a hard hitter with a good chin. Fighting ward or dirrel or someone would prepare him for froch even less cause completely diffrent style. This dude isn't much like froch at all either but a decent choice I think

And I should clarify in no way would ward be a tuneup to bute I just mean a fight between him and war would tell us nothing how he would do against froch again
    Last edited by armin; 08-16-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1 View Post
    Honestley Grachev is good, hes not been in the game for long but look what he has done before boxing. Denis Grachev - Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia

He isn't a walkover in the slightest and he proved that when he knocked out Sylakh. Ive been looking forward to seeing him fight again and I am happy hes fighting Bute. He can punch for sure, Sylakh was outboxing him but he has the tools to put somebody to sleep. I think this is a real test for Bute as he is chinny, so who knows this could be Grachevs chance to prove himself.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

another thing that springs to mind this fight is at 175, but the Froch rematch will be at 168, how come Bute is moving up?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's just the kind of fight to take on. Bute losing to Froch in that fashion doesn't suddenly make him crap, which Grachev basically is imo. He looked like a hopeless plodder until Silakh ran out of gas completely, and lets not forget that was the first test for both fighters there as well. Grachev is slow and predictable, and didn't seem to have much variety at all to me. If Bute can't beat him easily then he is royally screwed at the top level anyways, there is no point in taking on a softer touch if he's serious about his career. Carl may not be in the game more than a few more fights, so if Bute really wants the rematch he absolutely needs to get some good rounds in the meantime. All Gorchev presents here is a durable guy who can punch if given an easy target.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    another thing that springs to mind this fight is at 175, but the Froch rematch will be at 168, how come Bute is moving up?
    I believe the fight will be at a catchweight of 170.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should have an easier warm up to get his confidence back not risk getting smashed again. Bute could get away with it in Canada.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He should have an easier warm up to get his confidence back not risk getting smashed again. Bute could get away with it in Canada.

This IS an easy fight to get his confidence back, while giving him some rounds at best. I just don't get the perceived threat in Grachev. "He beat Sillakh who was supposed to be good, must be a dangerous guy..." Did people actually watch that? He is a plodder and only came back to win because Sillakh didn't try and close to show when he probably could've and then completely gassed out by the mid rounds. If Bute plans to rematch Froch with possibly only this one fight as a tune up then it is pointless to take on a complete stiff, it's a good choice of opponent really. Bute is still talented and a good puncher, he should get a stoppage early on here.

Thread Information