Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Starting Boxing? New Threads HERE

OK folks. All you who are thinking about boxing and don't know if you should because you are too young, too old, too fat, too, thin, can't find a gym, can't afford a gym, work strange hours, how often should you train? weights? go running? all those questions that get asked by dozens of people all the time at Saddo's.

You now have your very own thread. It makes it easier IF you can read other peoples situations and most often the same questions get asked and the same answers get given until we get tired and become sarcastic through boredom.

It WOULD be easier to come up with a FAQ about starting boxing but as we can see there is no one way to train, everyone has their own ideas so it would only generate more questions!
    Perhaps it's something we can work onÂ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Need Help!

hey guys,

i just started boxing a while ago, i can only do it at weekends at the moment because i go to boarding school. hopefully if my school report is good enough my dad will ask if i can get out to train during weekdays next year. anyway, i really like boxing and i have a problem at the moment ,personally i think its just my lack of experience but maybe you guys can help me out to overcome it.
    down at my club there is one guy who is a bit younger then me but hes very good, hes won a few national titles and hes soon going on a trip to canada to represent ireland in boxing.he is about 5 inches taller then me and has a much longer reach. hes got very quick hands aswell. anyway my advantages are that i am very strong for my size , i have a lot of aggresion(dont know if thats an advantage?) and i am quite tough.
    when i sparr against him, there is no competition at all and this is why:
    1) his reach is so long that any time i jump in to throw a few haymakers im hit with 4 or five puches in a row before i can reach him.
    2) his punches arent that hard its just he is very quick and accurate, i keep thinking that i should use head movement but im not quick enough because of his hand speed ,hell still hit me.
    3) every time i come in to attack ,he hits me and constantly moves back out of reach so i cant even trade shots with him, im just walking around getting hit, it gets quite frustrating.

im not the only one that gets beat by this guy, another guy my size has the same problem with him. the only weaknesses i can spot in him is that he stands stationary when he fights , he doesnt use footwork.
    i know that ive just started and that this guy has been boxing a few years allready but if anyone can tell me a specific tactic or way to train in order to help me overcome this guy i would be very gratefull

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Broken Noses

I'm 17, and just started sparring. I'm just wondering if broken noses are something I should be worrying a lot about while sparring. My nose is pretty big, and I would rather not have a crooked nose the rest of my life... thanks guys .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Broken Noses

I broke my nose in my very first sparring session!! Mine is a big, hard nose rather than soft, but it was the best thing that could of happened because it naturally improves your defence!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bah you can always get it reparied in later life, and itll make it smaller if you get it broken
    DD is right, your dfense imporves cause you aint worried about it being broken anymore
    you could get a facesaver headguard tho...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Need Help!

i'm also new to boxing, so i really can't give you any professional advices, BUT..if your fist cant reach his face, maybe your foot can reach his balls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

don't worry about that m8, plastic surgeons are really fit for the job nowdays. i mean just look at michael jackson, when you get to think that his nose cant get any better, well guess what! it look even more beautiful every time he gets back from the clinique!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    your dfense imporves cause you aint worried about it being broken anymore
    Nah man, the opposite! You don't want that s*** again!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I depends on how big your nose is. I have a big bazoo so it's a pretty good target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question.

I am 18 and I'm interested in getting into boxing, but my friend keeps telling me I'm too old now. What do you think? Do you think 18 is too old or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question.

nah ur not 2 old....theres some professionals that started at later ages than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DD
    Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    your dfense imporves cause you aint worried about it being broken anymore
    Nah man, the opposite! You don't want that s*** again!!
    diddnt for me, i was so worried about having it broken, cause my mum said shed never take me boxing again. then i got old enough to go when i pleased, and when it was broken i diddnt care, i wasnt worried about protecting it so bad that i ignored other defences

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Starting Boxing? New Thread

*bump*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Need Help!

Quote Originally Posted by BlessingtonBoy

hey guys,

i just started boxing a while ago, i can only do it at weekends at the moment because i go to boarding school. hopefully if my school report is good enough my dad will ask if i can get out to train during weekdays next year. anyway, i really like boxing and i have a problem at the moment ,personally i think its just my lack of experience but maybe you guys can help me out to overcome it.
    down at my club there is one guy who is a bit younger then me but hes very good, hes won a few national titles and hes soon going on a trip to canada to represent ireland in boxing.he is about 5 inches taller then me and has a much longer reach. hes got very quick hands aswell. anyway my advantages are that i am very strong for my size , i have a lot of aggresion(dont know if thats an advantage?) and i am quite tough.
    when i sparr against him, there is no competition at all and this is why:
    1) his reach is so long that any time i jump in to throw a few haymakers im hit with 4 or five puches in a row before i can reach him.
    2) his punches arent that hard its just he is very quick and accurate, i keep thinking that i should use head movement but im not quick enough because of his hand speed ,hell still hit me.
    3) every time i come in to attack ,he hits me and constantly moves back out of reach so i cant even trade shots with him, im just walking around getting hit, it gets quite frustrating.

im not the only one that gets beat by this guy, another guy my size has the same problem with him. the only weaknesses i can spot in him is that he stands stationary when he fights , he doesnt use footwork.
    i know that ive just started and that this guy has been boxing a few years allready but if anyone can tell me a specific tactic or way to train in order to help me overcome this guy i would be very gratefull
    sparring is to learn not to ko the oppost.
    he doesn't throw hard punches cuz it is a sparring match.(if he is that good he can throw HARD punches)

so dont try to hit em hard but try to use speed, this way you can have a chance in landing some punches
    haymakers should be thrown (my opinion) after your oppost gets tired and weak, so you can ko em (but never in sparring)

he is bigger/faster than you and he doesnt like to move in the ring, use that
    make him move in the ring by staying outta his reach, move around him and make him come to you and when he throws a punch, you counter with a fast punch (or a few if you get the chance).

after a while you get a little more experienced in boxing and you'll be able to step in without getting hit a few times first.

but remember it is all about speed and technique, the power of your punch comes from that, and not just being strong.

and haymakers wont land on a fit person

hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Starting Boxing? New Thread

I understand Confirm,
    I see where im going wrong now,i use to value power too much, ill practice my speed and technique from now on untill i get better.
    thanks for the advice

Thread Information