Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Stopping the right uppercut ?

I'm a boxer at an MMA gym. Tonight for the first time in a long time I ran into a mma guy who is a better boxer than me. This Mexican gentleman who barely speaks english is a tough, pressure fighter with a great right uppercut.

He caught me flush with that right uppercut in no man's land, bout 18 inches outside the clinch, right on the tip of the nose and splattered it. I was a bloody mess, first time my nose has bled in bout 2-3 years.

Aside from keeping my hands up, particularly my left, any advice on how to combat this guy ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Stopping the right uppercut ?

He is a southy?
    Go for the crook of his right arm and land your left hand open in the crook of his arm like a partial open grab (no thumb involved) then move in with his arm under control,if you can drag his arm down even a touch it will stop him raising his front foot too; then as he reacts you turn your left arm over into an elbow to his face,your hand still on his elbow for control as you roll on in with the left elbow to the face with full body movement behind it like a ram. Take his front right foot with your left foot (even sweep it back sohis leg gets pulled forwards) or just shift it slightly as you land the elbow and he'll also be going for re balance which'll allow you to punish him right on his reaction once again. (maybe with your own uppercut right there as he flails for that millisecond.

You could also try the side step and land a chest punch a cross and into the crook of his right arm. drop your hand down into the elbow for control of his balance as you move in.

Or maybe jab then instantly drop your elbow down into his uppercut as you move in.

The elbow point will control his balance and stop that side firing off, the rules are on your side in MMA for you to practice that and utilize it for setting up your combos,you will feel where he is going in reaction so then you push him there and catch him in his next reaction.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, he is orthodox, 6 ft, bout 165 lbs. Sorry for the confusion, we are sparring at an mma gym but in boxing style with boxing gloves etc.

I certainly won't drop my left hand anymore or pull straight back, this guy has a very hard right uppercut and lets it go a lot.

I'm going to have to angle out, box him and really keep a tight defense.

I don't know about controlling the arm as that is a lil complex and sounds risky of me eating another hard uppercut whilst trying such a technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go lateral. Lots of lateral movement. And work on some counter punches to use if he still shoots the right uppercut. I would work on one shot responses as well as combins that would be applicable depending on what side of his missed uppercut you are on. If, for instance, you are on the outside of his missed uppercut go for a left hook to his ribs followed by another left hook creating lateral cranial impact.

Its harder to hit a laterally moving target with an uppercut. Go lateral. You move laterally and unpredictably.
    Last edited by Jun Chang; 09-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you stay on your back foot with the head to the right there it will be really difficult for him to hit you with right hands of any sort... But on oder hand if you are on your left side with the weight really in front than no matter how high you carry your hands he will hit you with it and you wont be able to throw the left hook fast enough to counter him... My advice is stay on your right side and move to this side. If he really loves this shot make him over reach and than counter with the right. In the clinches try to control him with your left hand in the elbow as Andre says and be careful for him putting his hand in between you and him...

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    No, he is orthodox, 6 ft, bout 165 lbs. Sorry for the confusion, we are sparring at an mma gym but in boxing style with boxing gloves etc.

I certainly won't drop my left hand anymore or pull straight back, this guy has a very hard right uppercut and lets it go a lot.

I'm going to have to angle out, box him and really keep a tight defense.

I don't know about controlling the arm as that is a lil complex and sounds risky of me eating another hard uppercut whilst trying such a technique
    Really, you are in an MMA ring with MMA rules if you have control over his right arm with your left arm or even if you have the path of his uppercut blocked by your left forearm, then he cant throw it clean.

Do you wish to deal with him strictly in boxing terms?

Q: Are you allowed to elbow them in the face while standing?
    Last edited by Andre; 09-02-2012 at 02:36 AM.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How is he doing it with his rear arm and catching you every time?
    Is he doing it off one of your movements? maybe ducking your jab and following the move with it? or is he side stepping square and ripping up the inside of your arm? Are you too square to fast when moving in so he has that distance with his rear arm or is he the one going square? Nickoli's answer will be the one if it is you who is too square too fast. Questions worth asking yourself cause if you can answer them its easier to find the way to stop it.

If you get caught on your back foot though, you could be prepared and practice to pull your front foot back and out on an angle and immediately kick with your new front foot. That gets a lot of distance between your head and his original intention and line of fire.

A solid front kick off the 'new front foot' or a flying knee catches them as they turn to follow your new path; if you practice it and get it down first, cause you have gone out on the angle, distanced and they have to chase with their rear side more squared up so there is that opening up the centre of their arms route right there as they turn to follow.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Is he doing it off one of your movements? maybe ducking your jab and following the move with it? or is he side stepping square and ripping up the inside of your arm? Are you too square to fast when moving in so he has that distance with his rear arm or is he the one going square? Nickoli's answer will be the one if it is you who is too square too fast. Questions worth asking yourself cause if you can answer them its easier to find the way to stop it.

If you get caught on your back foot though, you could be prepared and practice to pull your front foot back and out on an angle and immediately kick with your new front foot. That gets a lot of distance between your head and his original intention and line of fire.

A solid front kick off the 'new front foot' or a flying knee catches them as they turn to follow your new path; if you practice it and get it down first, cause you have gone out on the angle, distanced and they have to chase with their rear side more squared up so there is that opening up the centre of their arms route right there as they turn to follow.
    We spar strictly boxing rules as I am strictly a boxer, just train at an MMA gym.

I was not getting caught with it every time, but a good 5 times out of 3 rounds.

It is me who was squaring up when I would cover up with my guard high. Also I was backing straight up at times.

And yes I believe he would side step me at times and land it, I don't remember him ducking my jab and nailing me with the right uppercut. He's aggressive and tough, throws combos and closes the distance rather quickly.

I had my most success when circling and jabbing up top and to the pit of the stomach.

When I got hit with the hard uppercut that really bloodied my nose, it was my own fault for having my left low and keeping that way as I stepped out from the clinch.

The other times I was hit, it was due to it mostly splitting my guard or coming in a combo I was defending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had my most success when circling and jabbing up top and to the pit of the stomach.
    This works for me as well.

all good

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

We spar strictly boxing rules as I am strictly a boxer, just train at an MMA gym.

I was not getting caught with it every time, but a good 5 times out of 3 rounds.

It is me who was squaring up when I would cover up with my guard high. Also I was backing straight up at times.

And yes I believe he would side step me at times and land it, I don't remember him ducking my jab and nailing me with the right uppercut. He's aggressive and tough, throws combos and closes the distance rather quickly.

When I got hit with the hard uppercut that really bloodied my nose, it was my own fault for having my left low and keeping that way as I stepped out from the clinch.

The other times I was hit, it was due to it mostly splitting my guard or coming in a combo I was defending.
    Oh sorry, the Mma had me wondering.

Nickolis thought about having your head off to the side in more of a front stance traditional style would stop a lot of that.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get your left hip and shoulder well forward, especially in close. Get the left shoulder into his chest and he can't land that punch.

Thread Information