Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expenses

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,068
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1663
    Cool Clicks

    Default Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expenses

    I would have put maybe in the title but it wouldn't fit.

    There were 6366 paying customers watching it which led to a total gate of $2.2 million. Let's say the casino let the promotion keep every penny of that. Unlikely but let's say they did.

    It did 130 000 PPV sales at $65. That's $8.45 million. But the cable providers take 55% of that leaving HBO with $3.8 million to split between themselves and the promotion. HBO spent money on promoting the fight including one of those 24/7 things and they've got the whole production to produce. And they've probably got a few quid guarantee built into any deal, they get the first so many dollars of the remaining money after production costs are covered. Let's be incredibly generous and say that leaves three million for the promotion, probably less.

    So far that's $5.2 million. Then there's international TV sales. I'd be amazed if this broke a million. Probably less than six million for the entire promotion in profit. Ward's promoter is going to have to pay a big chunk of his guaranteed six point five million out of his own pocket. Not a good night for RN. I suppose it depends on the split in the contract as to how the six or so million is divvied up. If Ward is guaranteed the first six point five of the entire promotion then it means Kovalev and both sets of promoters worked for free. If the promoters had a deal to split the funds before anybody else got paid maybe Main Events and Kovalev got three million to split. If Ward was guaranteed the money and Main Events were desperate to make the rematch, and they were, you've got to think that Ward's promoter would have made sure Ward's guarantee was covered before Main Events saw any money though.

    This is not really worth starting a thread over. I was going to dump this in the Ward Kovalev thread but it's gone off at a tangent and probably not many people are now reading it. Anybody got any more information on how this promotion went?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,662
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2698
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    If this is true Kathy Duva needs shooting.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,432
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    386
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If this is true Kathy Duva needs shooting.
    Don't forget Klimas when you line them up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,594
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    346
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    This is not really worth starting a thread over. I was going to dump this in the Ward Kovalev thread but it's gone off at a tangent and probably not many people are now reading it.
    If anyone hasn't read it for a while then go and take a look at the last 3 or 4 pages, most entertaining thread on here at the minute.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,068
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1663
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    This is not really worth starting a thread over. I was going to dump this in the Ward Kovalev thread but it's gone off at a tangent and probably not many people are now reading it.
    If anyone hasn't read it for a while then go and take a look at the last 3 or 4 pages, most entertaining thread on here at the minute.

    It's a bunch of people trying to explain simple concepts to a blithering idiot. I get enough of that already with Lyle.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,318
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    653
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    bummed big time?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,043
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    427
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    if he's been shafted as much as they say he has, he's gotta take most the blame. Yes, Promoters do this, Managers do that , but ultimately , he's a fucking grown up man being. nobody holds a gun to his head to sign the contract.
    you'll get plums like @Master get all indignant about it , saying it's wrong that the fighter got shafted, then he'll spout off about Mayweather. so he's not happy when a fighter earns shit money and he's not happy when a fighter earns good money!
    he shouldn't have been so fucking stupid basically.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,662
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2698
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    if he's been shafted as much as they say he has, he's gotta take most the blame. Yes, Promoters do this, Managers do that , but ultimately , he's a fucking grown up man being. nobody holds a gun to his head to sign the contract.
    you'll get plums like @Master get all indignant about it , saying it's wrong that the fighter got shafted, then he'll spout off about Mayweather. so he's not happy when a fighter earns shit money and he's not happy when a fighter earns good money!
    he shouldn't have been so fucking stupid basically.
    Very kind hearted you, you would make Eddie, Arum and Warren really proud.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,646
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    501
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Kovalev was good. But he clearly was beating up average fighters in a division void of talent. If they were really serious in the LH division, Stevenson should have faced Kovalev a long time ago.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,318
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    653
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Kovalev was good. But he clearly was beating up average fighters in a division void of talent. If they were really serious in the LH division, Stevenson should have faced Kovalev a long time ago.
    don't be daft, kov was/is an excellent fighter and would beat most LHs over history

    he lost to an American considered lb4lb the best in the world in America with 3 American judges and an American ref and when America is a little bit void of talent at the minute

    many people felt he won the first

    and many people felt he was winning the second
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,646
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    501
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Kovalev was good. But he clearly was beating up average fighters in a division void of talent. If they were really serious in the LH division, Stevenson should have faced Kovalev a long time ago.
    don't be daft, kov was/is an excellent fighter and would beat most LHs over history

    he lost to an American considered lb4lb the best in the world in America with 3 American judges and an American ref and when America is a little bit void of talent at the minute

    many people felt he won the first

    and many people felt he was winning the second
    As said: Kov beat up some pretty good, decent fighters during his reign in a division VOID of true talent. When the division cheers guys like Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew as top talent, you know the division is clearly not top-tier.

    Kov faced an ELITE FIGHTER in that of Andre Ward and we saw what happened. He peaked the second fight. He was losing the second fight, handily before the nut chops.

    Kov is a good fighter. Kov is a great fighter. But not in the top ten p4p not now, not then and probably will never be. He is just a good, strong guy with good talent.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,043
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    427
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    if he's been shafted as much as they say he has, he's gotta take most the blame. Yes, Promoters do this, Managers do that , but ultimately , he's a fucking grown up man being. nobody holds a gun to his head to sign the contract.
    you'll get plums like @Master get all indignant about it , saying it's wrong that the fighter got shafted, then he'll spout off about Mayweather. so he's not happy when a fighter earns shit money and he's not happy when a fighter earns good money!
    he shouldn't have been so fucking stupid basically.
    Very kind hearted you, you would make Eddie, Arum and Warren really proud.
    Just being honest......... and trying not to live in Utopia like some people I know! 😉

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,318
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    653
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    @ykdadamaja

    if the ward kov fight would have been in Russia with a Russian ref and 3 Russian judges who do you think would have won?

    and how would you view kov then?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,479
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    730
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    This is silly.

    No one can dispute that Kovalev is not a great fighter...it's just that Ward is better.

    Ward would beat Kovalev in a 3rd or 4th fight...Ward broke Kovalev down to a point where he is now considering moving up in weight and being trained by Virgil hunter..that's a pure sign of internal loss.

    Ward is the best and that's all there is to it..he chased Kovalev into his division.

    Imagine if GGG chased Ward like this?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,432
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    386
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Kovalev didn't even earn enough from the Ward fight to cover his training expense

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    This is silly.

    No one can dispute that Kovalev is not a great fighter...it's just that Ward is better.

    Ward would beat Kovalev in a 3rd or 4th fight...Ward broke Kovalev down to a point where he is now considering moving up in weight and being trained by Virgil hunter..that's a pure sign of internal loss.

    Ward is the best and that's all there is to it..he chased Kovalev into his division.

    Imagine if GGG chased Ward like this?
    If GGG did he would be worshipped.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Who won? Kovalev or Ward?
    By Gandalf in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 09:09 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-25-2016, 06:07 AM
  3. Ward vs Kovalev - Fight deal reached (apparently)
    By Vendettos in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 12:08 PM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
  5. HBO to cover Pacman training
    By brucelee in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing