Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Brandon Rios the sickest man in boxing right now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Brandon Rios the sickest man in boxing right now?

First off a big hand clap to both Alvarado and Rios who put on a marvelous show of attrition. This thread though is more about my pondering on the mental makeup of Brandon Rios. I think he was awesome, but there is something kind of scary in how he goes about things. I have seen plenty of fighters with a leaky defense, but Rios almost seems to thrive on it. He almost relishes being able to walk through whatever is being thrown at him. He took some punches that were just flat out nasty, but not a bother. Rios really seems to get off on it all, which is great for this kind of combat. It is also infinitely more fun to watch than seeing the likes of Mayweather and Donaire prancing about.

I like Brandon Rios, he is hardcore. This is a man who will have blood dripping out of his mouth and still be leering at you with menace. 'What is wrong with him? Why doesn't he fear me?' ponders the opponent in the split second before Rios is back inside trying to bully. I struggle to imagine that chin not giving way at some point in the future, but at the moment it is scary what he can take. His post fight interview was revealing too. This is not a man who will clinch, he just wants to fuck you up.

Props to Brandon Rios. His career is becoming a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Brandon Rios the sickest man in boxing right now?

OH THAT CHION will give away at some point they all do but till then lets just enjoy the show. After the third or fourth I said to my bud rios is stopping him just because he would go back to the corner grinning from ear to ear he was loviong the fight, alverado was winning at that point bugt he was not liking the kind of fight it was. Altho im not sure who else rioas beats at 140, while rios matthyse would be fun i think matthyse eats him up

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i love the walk forward "hit and get hit " style

Rios has that mentallity that he will "out will" you. out fight you ,take what you got and come back.

My 3 fav fighters of all time are Joe Frazier. Evander Holyfield and Arturo Gatti....exciting crowd please fighter who beat loads of guys on pure heart.

Rios is one of them - Fighters, with a capital "F"
    Hidden Content

collecting scores from the best boxing sites and forums

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well he is definetly a nasty piece of work, but I don't personally appreciate his style much at all. Of course seeing him in a fight like he was tonight is a lot of fun, but before calling it infinitely moreso than a Mayweather or Donaire, imagine how hopeless he'd look if he ever meets someone with those kind of skills. That's the other side of the coin with a guy like this, just take how shit he was against Abril who didn't let him get inside and work. This guy can only win fights by trading recklessly in close, and it doesn't take anyone all to special to keep him at bay imo. I think even tonight Alvarado may well have had the ability to beat him if he'd just kept using his jab and moving. I also still maintain that Yuriorkis Gamboa would put him in the hospital despite being well undersized and having a tendency to brawl, Rios would not be able to eat his shots and get his own work done imo. Having said all that 140 doesn't have to many guys who stand to have an easy time with him at the moment, he'll be matched up carefully and in a few more barnburners I'm sure. What a goon though, I wish nothing but awful things upon him

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a great fight and his attitude is great. Nothing wrong with a mental. It's probably gonna get him killed in the near future but I do love a tear-up merchant.

(I thought Rios would be getting stopped at one point)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Props to Rios, but i still stand my ground that the man is a legitimate welter imo, nonetheless i was impressed i really thought mike could beat him. But yeah beat lucas mathysse then i say he is the fwokin monster.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rios said if he couldn't beat Alvarado he would die trying. I believe him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen plastic sporks that are sharper than Rios but he is the truest definition of determination. He did well to break down Alvarado who once he stopped punching in bunches and moving was just a matter of time. Rios needs to be matched carefully though style wise because he's been stunned numerous times and clearly outboxed and not all warriors go in with such a narrow battle plan.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Well he is definetly a nasty piece of work, but I don't personally appreciate his style much at all. Of course seeing him in a fight like he was tonight is a lot of fun, but before calling it infinitely moreso than a Mayweather or Donaire, imagine how hopeless he'd look if he ever meets someone with those kind of skills. That's the other side of the coin with a guy like this, just take how shit he was against Abril who didn't let him get inside and work. This guy can only win fights by trading recklessly in close, and it doesn't take anyone all to special to keep him at bay imo. I think even tonight Alvarado may well have had the ability to beat him if he'd just kept using his jab and moving. I also still maintain that Yuriorkis Gamboa would put him in the hospital despite being well undersized and having a tendency to brawl, Rios would not be able to eat his shots and get his own work done imo. Having said all that 140 doesn't have to many guys who stand to have an easy time with him at the moment, he'll be matched up carefully and in a few more barnburners I'm sure. What a goon though, I wish nothing but awful things upon him
    Have to disagree with you, I don't think a jab and movement is going to keep Rios off of anyone! As soon as Alvarado stopped punching in bunches, it was just a matter of time.
    The thing that really surprised me about this matchup was there was
    very little body work, they both threw a few body shots, but body work didn't seem to be part of either fight plan. I don't remember either corner asking for body work either, strange.
    I didn't have a clue who was going to win until Alvarado started to wilt a little. A great fight, but truthfully, I don't enjoy seeing a fight with so little of the "sweet science" in it. Raw aggression is great but boxing is a thinking mans sport too, Rios steps into the ring and starts swinging until someone stops him. Rios is tough as a nail and a punching machine, but I'm wondering how long he can keep it up. Oh, and by the way, Rios and Alvarado both have enough heart for 10 fighters!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Y'all have short memories, Abril schooled him
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    Exactly said that in the other thread mate, he also had alot of trouble vs Miguel Acosta, Brandon Rios is exciting and ETC. But he needs to be put in with a certain style otherwise he'll be exposed.

People who are talking about Rios vs Pacquiao/Marquez are crazy, he'd be smashed to pieces by either one of them. He needs to be put in with someone like Danny Perez or Lucas Matthysse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rios needs to fill his body up with some more muscle if he's going to keep fighting that way. The fight could easily have gone the other way. There were points were rios was stunned and if Alvarado would've acted on those opportunities he could've ended rios night early.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's along the lines of style of the Chacons, Gattis & Katsidis great entertainment but can be outboxed...

JMM would fucken box circles around him six ways to Sunday...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    Abril beat a listless corpse. The Rios from last night would of wrecked him

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brandon Rios is great value for money but that chin is gonna crack spectacularly, some time soon.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information