946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default May Day

Paris

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: May Day

Padstow

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is Labour day or workers day in Italy today.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

France isn't France

El Kabong Guest

Ah yes, May Day where parts of the world celebrate the wonders of Communism and the economic genius of a guy who was such an economic mastermind he often pawned his family's silver service AND once had pawned so much of his and his family's clothing that he had 1 pair of pants to his name.....economic "genius"

Antifa are a disease.

El Kabong Guest

LOL....Commies

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was my b day too wankers so I took 48 hrs off and drank cheap Russian vodka and ate cake .

just kidding on the vodka, hate the shat. Damn commies rabble rabble. Stones also released Brown Sugar so the 1st is historically sound!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It was my b day too wankers so I took 48 hrs off and drank cheap Russian vodka and ate cake .

just kidding on the vodka, hate the shat. Damn commies rabble rabble. Stones also released Brown Sugar so the 1st is historically sound!

Well happy frigging birthday, bro! Vodka and cake would've been a strange combination, although admittedly I've never tried it.
    Brown Sugar remains one of my favorite Stones tunes of all time.... I always preferred the Stones to the Beatles, as heretic as that may sound.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Padstow must be the whitest place in England, not a single black/brown face, not even a tourist. Must have been all Poles and Romanians.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Happy birthday to SPICOLI

πŸŽ‚πŸ°πŸŽ‚πŸ·πŸΊπŸΊπŸΊπŸΊπŸ”πŸŸπŸ•πŸ§πŸ §πŸ§πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‡πŸŽ†πŸŽ‰βœ¨πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‡πŸŽ‰πŸŽ„π ŸŽˆπŸŽ‡βœ¨πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆ

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Happy birthday Spicoli, hope you had a great one. Nice thread to remind us for next year. Although we may recycle this thread.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Padstow must be the whitest place in England, not a single black/brown face, not even a tourist. Must have been all Poles and Romanians.
    Actually, If i remember rightly, to take part you have to have at least two generations of family born before you in Padstow.

Not a single black/brown face you say ? Depends on what day you visit

They will sing all kinds of songs, some folk music going back hundreds of years but also more problematic modern (as in less than 200 years old) like Stephen Foster's Uncle Ned which for me sounds as much like a recognition of Black workers and musicians as anything derogatory. Of course a lot of American folk music has its roots in Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English folk songs anyway, but I think accusations of racism here and of mummers or Darkie day in Padstow are a bit simplistic. While there are plenty of racists in Cornwall there is also a lot of tolerance as you find among many minority communities and there are certainly families with various shades of dark skin from Marrying Moors. The Spanish and other traders, sailors or merchants whose boats landed or were wrecked off the coast.

Interesting thing on the great American songwriter Stephen Foster and his statue here

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/...s/201708230295

It's interesting as border and black faced Morris dancers (Dark Morris) are a huge part of tradition down here and I know many, but that has other entirely different origins. Farm workers would black faces to dance in mid winter unrecognised by Landowners who would not have employed such pagan fools in the summer and spring time.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    France isn't France
    Of course not. Paris is certainly not France. It is a fascinating place because of this. For someone interested in linguistics like myself and languages like you are, there are few European countries to rival it. There are many words, dances, traditions etc here where i live, inherited directly from Bretons in Britanny which is not the same France as Occitanie or the same France as Bourgogne etc. People speak Catalan, Ligurian, Breton, Occitan, Corsican, Alsation and many others right across the country. Nobody strikes more than the French and Labor Day/May day whatever you want to call it is probably more French than Garlic, Beret's and Strings of Onions
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Happy birthday to SPICOLI

πŸŽ‚πŸ°πŸŽ‚πŸ·πŸΊπŸΊπŸΊπŸΊπŸ”πŸŸπŸ•πŸ§πŸ §πŸ§πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‡πŸŽ†πŸŽ‰βœ¨πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽ‡πŸŽ‰πŸŽ„π ŸŽˆπŸŽ‡βœ¨πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆ
    Thanks man, shit that's colorful .

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Happy Beltane / May Day everyone. Usually I would be getting up before Sunrise to watch several local Morris crews usher in the day up on the moor here in Devon before then traveling down to Cornwall for the ancient "Obby Oss" celebrations. This year alas will have to mark it silently and make it a special one when this is all over next year. Here is lasts years

Last edited by Beanz; 05-01-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    Hidden Content

Thread Information