Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default help i cant sleep

i can never sleep i just lie in bed trying to sleep for ages what shall i do ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: help i cant sleep

Melatonin,make sure you get the time released ones from GNC not the el cheapo's from the supermarket.
    Your brain runs funny,one part of it tells another part to release another chemical,and thats how you go to sleep.
    The chemical that needs to be released is melatonin. If you get the cheep stuff,you'll crash all right,but you'll be up in 4 hours,go with the GNC stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yep, melatonin is the stuff. I worked on it as a drug discovery chemist for 2 years... looking at its role in the circadian rhythm and depression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also would recommend melatonin.. I've never used the GNC brand but from what i've read (and used) the smaller the dosage the better. But it depends on the person, as with anything.. Some sleep studies showed that someone who took 2mg had more success than someone who took 20 mg.. I just use the 3mg tablets. I've taken a few of those once or twice and felt real groggy the next morning, but one 3mg tablet works really well.

If that doesn't work.. ambien will

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Von is it addictive
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've used it when doing time travel over the pond and back.

Scrap.I don't know about it's addictive qualities, perhaps not physically addictive but I did use it at home and rather enjoyed the sleepy feel it gave. So if someone is prone to um, liking altered states, I'd keep my eye on them.

If I took too much like RP33 says you feel groggy in the morning, so trying different dosages works. I found halving it worked for me.

Von - how has it worked for depression? I've heard lots of research on disturbed sleep patterns affecting health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cheers people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Von is it addictive
    It's not addictive in the normal sense of the word that you're probably thinking.. It is something that the body normally produces when the sun goes down, and it's "time for bed".. So by taking the pill, you're telling your body, it's time for bed and the melatonin works to make you sleepy and eventually fall asleep.. If you take it for long periods of time, consistently, every day for weeks, then your body will not produce as much of it.. Meaning, if you don't take it, you may have trouble sleeping.

So it's not addictive as in, you'll have urges to take it so that you can sleep, but it can make your body lazy where it's expecting the pill and not producing melatonin on it's own.

It's safe as anything to take every so often.. once or twice maybe three times a week.. that's the most consistent i've used it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're looking for a non-chemical solution, I've found that meditation has working really well for me. I used to spend all day worrying if I would be able to sleep that night; meditating has helped that quite a bit. Now, if I'm having trouble sleeping, I just meditate and 99.9% of the time it works great and I fall asleep in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    Von is it addictive
    It's not addictive in the normal sense of the word that you're probably thinking.. It is something that the body normally produces when the sun goes down, and it's "time for bed".. So by taking the pill, you're telling your body, it's time for bed and the melatonin works to make you sleepy and eventually fall asleep.. If you take it for long periods of time, consistently, every day for weeks, then your body will not produce as much of it.. Meaning, if you don't take it, you may have trouble sleeping.

So it's not addictive as in, you'll have urges to take it so that you can sleep, but it can make your body lazy where it's expecting the pill and not producing melatonin on it's own.

It's safe as anything to take every so often.. once or twice maybe three times a week.. that's the most consistent i've used it.
    It can kind of go both ways,some people can just use it get through some extenuating circumstances,high stress,an injury. Some people never produce enough melatonin.
    Me, Ive been an insomniac my entire life,so Melatonin is on the menu for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Von is it addictive

It can kind of go both ways,some people can just use it get through some extenuating circumstances,high stress,an injury. Some people never produce enough melatonin.
    I don't know what that had to do with my post or it being addicting, but sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im just saying there are different ways to use it,most of the people I know who use it,use it for maybe a week,and then just put it down and walk away. Some people really need to use it all the time(raises hand here) but even then,its not like it has any symptoms of physical addiction,I forget to take it all the time. There arent any withdraw symptoms,except maybe I dont sleep as well. But if I slept well in the first place,I wouldnt be taking melatonin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im just saying there are different ways to use it,most of the people I know who use it,use it for maybe a week,and then just put it down and walk away. Some people really need to use it all the time(raises hand here) but even then,its not like it has any symptoms of physical addiction,I forget to take it all the time. There arent any withdraw symptoms,except maybe I dont sleep as well. But if I slept well in the first place,I wouldnt be taking melatonin
    i.. know that, lol.. I touched the whole physical/chemical addiction part in my post.. I just wasn't sure why you quoted me and said the same thing that i said.. that's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i.. know that, lol.. I touched the whole physical/chemical addiction part in my post.. I just wasn't sure why you quoted me and said the same thing that i said.. that's all.
    Was more or less concurring.
    And the nice thing about melatonin is unlike most other sleep aids,you dont wake up a groggy mess the next morning. Before I started taking melatonin,I tried some of the regular sleep aids,man they dont make enough coffee to fix that. Those were some fun drives to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was more or less concurring.
    And the nice thing about melatonin is unlike most other sleep aids,you dont wake up a groggy mess the next morning. Before I started taking melatonin,I tried some of the regular sleep aids,man they dont make enough coffee to fix that. Those were some fun drives to work.
    i've taken some decent doses and felt groggy in the morning.. almost like a hangover.. but i've also taken some other sleep meds that made me feel much worse..

to be honest, if i feel i can't sleep, i stay up all night and then the next night i am absolutely exhausted and get a great nights sleep. I wouldn't reccomend it to someone who has a real physical job operating machinery or something to that extent, but if you know you have a lazy day the next day it's worth it. Just don't nap during the day, that's the key.

Thread Information