Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Masao Ohba & Salvador Sanchez: How our lifes intertwine.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Masao Ohba & Salvador Sanchez: How our lifes intertwine.

About 2 yrs. a go a typed up a paragraph or two on the day of the death of the late great Salvador Sanchez. Some of you might have read it others might have missed it. Though doing articles is not my thing sometimes I just start typing thoughts and feelings and facts and next thing you know I've got a few paragraphs. Some make it on to these boards most don't I just copy and paste them into Word document and save them for another time. Which is what happened to this piece here. I put this together about 6 months ago now here it is.

With such a high population in the world it's not a rarity when you come across 2 similar life stories where each life is almost a mirror image of one another. Born with the same disabilities, same tragic moments in life or same accomplishments in life.

But in boxing about a year ago I noticed something I have not noticed before between two boxers. Not just any boxers for that matter, two exceptional boxers who at the height of their careers were on top of the boxing world in their respective countries. They were the sensation of their times acclaimed as the next great thing, beloved and adored by the people.

When you lose you get back up
    Masao Ohba began his career at the young age of 17 in 1966 in Tokyo, Japan he rapidly racked up a streak of wins but lost twice along the way very early in his career.
    He lost his 19th pro fight in 1968 by points.
    Salvador Sanchez began his career at the young age of 16 in 1975 in Veracruz, Mexico he too started off with a wining career until he suffered a loss and draw early in his career.
    He lost his 19th pro fight in 1977 by points.

21 and already World Champs
    In 1970 just a day after turning 21 Masao got in the ring to fight for his 1st world title fight as he went on to defeat Berkrerk Chartvanchai via 13th round TKO. The favorite coming into the fight was Berkrerk.
    In 1980 just shy of a month after his 21st b-day Sanchez got in the ring for his 1st world title fight against the heavily favorite Danny Lopez.... And you guessed it he defeats Lopez via 13th round TKO.

The talent can't be denied
    Masao was such a talented kid just great ring generalship you hardly saw him standing still. Exceptional ring movement he used his footwork to manuver around the ring and just boxed his ears off. Good hanspeed and more then anything a brilliant sense of his opponents next move.
    His chin was suspect as he got caught, same goes for his defense it needed work. But just look at what he accomplished even with those things against him.
    Sanchez had skills to give out and still be left with some for him. Just a well rounded boxer who had good power in both hands and liked to trade sometimes to his disadvantage. His defense too needed work as he would leave himself open. But the skills he disaplayed in the ring were brilliant. Decent hand speed and a iron chin which helped him out a lot in some fights.

Beating the top caliber fighters
    By 1971 Masao was the sensation in Japan. On TV, billboards, radio he was everywhere and rightfully so as he was young, handsome, a world champ and talented. Everyone wanted a piece of him. His 1st big challenge came this same year against an ATG in Betulio Gonzalez. Betulio gave Masao all he could handle both guys are natural boxers and both scored with counterpunches the rounds were pretty even so it was tough to score some of the rounds. In the end the judges awarded Masao the win.
    The crowd that night was not on the same boat as the judges and booed the decision. Eventhough Masao was their champ they were gracious and sincere about how they felt.
    By 1981 Sanchez was a superstar in Mexico. Never losing sight of where he came from he lived in the same house, same friends and of course with some modifications here and there after he was a world champ. His 1st foot on the BIG stage came when Don King offered up a fight to the then reigning king Wilfredo Gomez. Gomez was in PR one day and took it upon himself to fly to the states and sign the fight without his people. He said he wanted it that way and he wanted the fight. Well what a fight that turned out to be "The Battle of the Little Giants" is one of the greatest fights out there period. Both guys came out guns blazing and trading shots pretty even fight at some points but you could see that Sancez was slightly pulling ahead. In the end Sanchez walked away with 8th round TKO win.

Live fast, die young at just 23 yrs. of age... 22 days later In a white sports car
    Just 22 days after defending his title while driving his White Corvette on a express highway in his hometown of Tokyo, Japan. Masao suffered a car accident that cost him his life. He died as champion having just beat another ATG in Chartchai Chionoi who gave him one helluva fight.
    Just 22 days after defending his title while driving his White Porsche on a epxress highway in his hometown on Santianguistenco, Mexico. Sanchez suffered a car accident that cost him his life. He died as a champion having just beat another ATG in Azumah Nelson who gave him one helluva fight.
    Both died at the age of 23.

Never have I seen/read any 2 boxers lifes who are so much alike. I'm sure there's lots of similiraties between some boxers in their respective lifes. But I think you wont find another couple of boxers whos lifes had the highs and the lows at the same time like these 2.
    The days, the numbers, the colors, the way things happened and how their lifes played out was just like a mirror image.

One things certain they were both taken away from us too early, but their talent and short lived careers left prints that can never be erased and forgotten.

Long live Masao Ohba & Salvador Sanchez.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Masao Ohba & Salvador Sanchez: How our lifes intertwine.

Ok that's actually kinda disturbin how similar everything is particularly their deaths. Good piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chilling similarities Mick. Hard to believe how much they both accomplished in such a short time.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice piece how did you find about Masao Ohba?
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Ok that's actually kinda disturbin how similar everything is particularly their deaths. Good piece.
    I agree, it really is something else when you put the facts down on paper and compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Chilling similarities Mick. Hard to believe how much they both accomplished in such a short time.
    I agree, very short careers but they both accomplished so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel "Chubby" Medina View Post
    Nice piece how did you find about Masao Ohba?
    My uncles 1st mentioned Ohba to me but I hardly remember. I just know that at one point Efren "Alcran" Torres called him out and wanted to fight him after Efren defeated Chartchanoi.

From recent times I came across Masaos name again about 2-3 yrs. ago while reading up and looking into the careers of Miguel Canto and Gilberto Roman. I was linked to Masao through opponents. Then I started reading up on him and then beagan to look for some of his fights online. Then as I read his life story and then saw him fight something told me "You've seen and read this before"... I sure had, when I read Sanchezs life.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow man that's striking. Very interesting read man. Now I must watch some Sanchez fights so please excuse me. CutMeMick you should put together a collection of short story articles man, I'd buy a copy, good stuff.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ohba is one of my favorite asian fighter, he could of been a big superstar. Unlike other japanese fighter, ohba fought in the states. Like Pac, Ohba's first big win was in San Antonio. I think it was against one of the Gonzalez.

Whats a shame really is Ohba is still not inducted in the hall of fame. Seriously Asians are always looked past every single year

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Wow man that's striking. Very interesting read man. Now I must watch some Sanchez fights so please excuse me. CutMeMick you should put together a collection of short story articles man, I'd buy a copy, good stuff.
    Thanks sheep...
    About the short pieces, well who knows man. Maybe someday I get the urge to put something out there for now. I don't think I've got enough material. However I could get to working on it and start with putting stuff together for some of the fights I've attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    Ohba is one of my favorite asian fighter, he could of been a big superstar. Unlike other japanese fighter, ohba fought in the states. Like Pac, Ohba's first big win was in San Antonio. I think it was against one of the Gonzalez.

Whats a shame really is Ohba is still not inducted in the hall of fame. Seriously Asians are always looked past every single year
    Right on JR, Ohba like many Asian fighters has been overlooked by the IBHOF and has yet to be inducted. Heres hoping one day they get it together and give these great champions their rightful place amongst the greats.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hope you guys don't mind the bump here...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post

Though doing articles is not my thing sometimes I just start typing thoughts and feelings and facts and next thing you know I've got a few paragraphs. Some make it on to these boards most don't I just copy and paste them into Word document and save them for another time

It was an interesting read Mick. I like your approach to writing. I like to write things now and then, but if I have a hard time getting started I'll write down anything, partiularly I'll describe what's happening around me, or what I had for breakfast, anything, and see where it goes. Very often someting mundane leads into something more interesting.

Thread Information