Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lemiuex v. Rubio This Friday

I'm looking forward to it. I expect Lemieux to win, but I bet it will be a scrap while it lasts. Who do you guys pick?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lemiuex v. Rubio This Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. I expect Lemieux to win, but I bet it will be a scrap while it lasts. Who do you guys pick?

Agreed. Rubio can crack. David is one of my favourite fighters. Bone crushing power in both hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol, your could at least write their name correctly in the title :P

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Eloking View Post
    Give me a break. It's a French name involving 3 of the most difficult vowels to put together and judging by his tag he's not a Canadian like we are.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lemieux really really lacks rounds. Uphill battle for capable boxing Rubio but this isn't some tubby 'not my Father' Camacho jr in there. Just hope Rubio doesn't shell up like he did vs Pavliks power. Think it will be a good scrap

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Lemieux really really lacks rounds. Uphill battle for capable boxing Rubio but this isn't some tubby 'not my Father' Camacho jr in there. Just hope Rubio doesn't shell up like he did vs Pavliks power. Think it will be a good scrap

That's a really good point. David is already spouting off about Martinez. Concentrate on the task at hand.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lemieux is young and I think he's full of confidence.
    He's deadly with both hands. Can catch you with the left hook or flatten you with a straight right...

Rubio for the long career he's had and all.
    Everytime I see his name only one thing springs to mind.
    The brutal KO he suffered vs. Kofi... Ouch!
    But he can def. bang too so Lemieux better put on his best chin.

For those who have not seen it. One of the worst you will see.

Last edited by CutMeMick; 04-07-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

That's a really good point. David is already spouting off about Martinez. Concentrate on the task at hand.
    Absolutely. Rubio is a good measuring stick and how many vaunted punchers have we seen fall flat when the higher tier refuses to stick to the script. As much as Lemieux is improving...so his Martinez...and he's not ready for that, not just yet. Walk then run.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lemieux v. Rubio This Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Eloking View Post
    Elo - I'm probably the only non-Canadian on this board that consistently roots for Bute. I've been to Montreal and its a class town. So, believe me when I say the misspelling was just a mistake.

Why is it a Philly based American is bringing up Lemieux's fight this weekend anyway?

Absolutely. Rubio is a good measuring stick and how many vaunted punchers have we seen fall flat when the higher tier refuses to stick to the script. As much as Lemieux is improving...so his Martinez...and he's not ready for that, not just yet. Walk then run.
    Agreed - Very good point on the rounds. He needs a fight to go five or six rounds and Rubio should go five or six. It'll be impressive if Lemieux sparks him fast.

Now, what we haven't seen Lemieux in with yet is a quality mover. He needs to face a couple of fighters with that style before stepping into the ring with Martinez. Do we even know how capable he is at cutting off the ring?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm personally of the opinion that Lemieux is way too predictable, there's too much 1-2 left hook/uppercut. But what he does have is that power & I think he stops Rubio within 4, probably in the 2nd round.

I think Martinez would ruin him though

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    I'm personally of the opinion that Lemieux is way too predictable, there's too much 1-2 left hook/uppercut. But what he does have is that power & I think he stops Rubio within 4, probably in the 2nd round.

I agree it appears that way at times. So far its worked. Its like he has to fight that way. He's only got a 64 inch reach. That's very short for a middleweight. I think his style revolves around that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree it appears that way at times. So far its worked. Its like he has to fight that way. He's only got a 64 inch reach. That's very short for a middleweight. I think his style revolves around that.
    Yeah he does have freakishly short arms. Compare that he's an inch taller than Mosley with a reach 10 inches shorter

Still, he needs to find a way to be more unpredictable. Obviously it will carry him a certain way, but he can't be doing that against a guy like Martinez or even someone like Kirkland who could feasibly trade with him there. I've often wondered if he couldn't make it down to 154, he doesn't look like he struggles to 160 although maybe that's part of where his power comes from.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he does have freakishly short arms. Compare that he's an inch taller than Mosley with a reach 10 inches shorter

Still, he needs to find a way to be more unpredictable. Obviously it will carry him a certain way, but he can't be doing that against a guy like Martinez or even someone like Kirkland who could feasibly trade with him there. I've often wondered if he couldn't make it down to 154, he doesn't look like he struggles to 160 although maybe that's part of where his power comes from.
    Indeed. You can only get so far with a punch. In Davids case his stumps for arms are part of the power package but also his greatest weakness.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This should be on ESPN UK.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Btw, for those who doesn't know this yet, this fight is for the WBC Title eliminator.

About the fight, if Rubio can pass the first half unhurt, he'll force Lemieux in a situation where he's never been before. Still, I'm pretty sure it'll not happen. Lemieux is one of the best at "controlling" the ring I ever saw. Rarely I've seen an opponent that could avoid the rope and the corner for a whole round. And the guy doesn't stop no matter what you thrown at him...

I'm pretty sure this fight will end around the 7th or the 8th. But who know, after all this is boxing.
    Last edited by Eloking; 04-07-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Thread Information