Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Adonis Stevenson vs. Eleider Alvarez

WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis “Superman” Stevenson (29-1, 24 KOs) and #1 WBC mandatory Eleider “Storm” Alvarez (23-0, 11 KOs) are negotiating a fight for December in Quebec, according to Dan Rafael. This is a fight that boxing fans have been waiting for and it finally looks like it’s about to happen.

“We are looking for a December date in Quebec City,” said Canadian promoter Yvon Mchel to ESPN.com.

Alvarez has got to be feeling relieved now that he’s about to get his title shot. Now it’s up to him to capitalize on the opportunity by beating Stevenson if possible.

There’s been talk that Stevenson will be facing Badou Jack soon. Jack, 33, will need to wait until Stevenson takes on Alvarez first. If Stevenson beats Alvarez, then Jack will get the fight with him. Alvarez is on the same level as Badou in the talent department.

Stevenson should be able to get past both guys without any problems. Where Stevenson could have some issues is when he fights Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Artur Beterbiev and Sullivan Barrera. Those are all very good fighters that have some power and boxing skills that will force Stevenson to dig deep to win.

If the fight gets made, it would be the 40-year-old Stevenson’s first mandatory title defense since his win over Tony Bellew 4 years ago on 2013. The fact that the World Boxing Council has slowed Stevenson to go 4 years in between defending against his mandatory challengers tells you a little bit about the sanctioning body.

It’s obviously not a good deal for the contenders that have been waiting for 4 years to try and get title shot against Stevenson. It just goes to show you that if a sanctioning body isn’t going to force a world champion to fight against their No.1 ranking challengers, then it’s not going to get done.

Alvarez, 33, recently beat Jean Pascal by a 12-round majority decision on June 3 in Montreal, Canada. Before that, Alvarez defeated Lucian Bute, Norbert Dabrowski, Robert Berridge, Issac Chilemba, Isidro Ranoni Prieto and Anatolity Dudchenko. Alvarez looks to be a pretty good fighter, but he doesn’t appear to be on the same level as the southpaw Stevenson is.

It’s good for Stevenson, 40, to finally get the fight out of the way against Alvarez while he’s still young enough to win. Stevenson is just not aging. His chronological age is 40, but he’s fighting more he’s in his prime. There’s no sign of letup in Stevenson yet.

Stevenson has held his WBC title for the last 4 years since beating Chad Dawson by a 1st round knockout on June 8, 2013. Stevenson has since defended his WBC title successfully 8 times in beating these fighters:

• Tavoris Cloud

• Tony Bellew

• Andrzej Fonfara – x 2

• Dmitry Sukhotsky

• Sakio Bika

• Tommy Karpency

• Thomas Williams Jr.

Stevenson didn’t need to fight Fonfara a second time, but he did anyway. The Boxing fans would have preferred if Stevenson had taken a tougher fight against the likes of Andre Ward, Sergey Kovalev, Dmitry Bivol, Gvozdyk or Beterbiev. Stevenson doesn’t take a lot of risks with his career. He fights voluntary defenses until he’s ordered to fight his mandatory challenger.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Adonis Stevenson vs. Eleider Alvarez

I only watched Alvarez once and he didn't impress me much. I understand it's a mandatory, but there are better fights available. Stevenson has just become a joke at this point

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

40 years old and 2 fights in 2 years.
    Is anyone interested in Stevenson anymore?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis “Superman” Stevenson (29-1, 24 KOs) and #1 WBC mandatory Eleider “Storm” Alvarez (23-0, 11 KOs) are negotiating a fight for December in Quebec, according to Dan Rafael. This is a fight that boxing fans have been waiting for and it finally looks like it’s about to happen.

“We are looking for a December date in Quebec City,” said Canadian promoter Yvon Mchel to ESPN.com.

Alvarez has got to be feeling relieved now that he’s about to get his title shot. Now it’s up to him to capitalize on the opportunity by beating Stevenson if possible.

There’s been talk that Stevenson will be facing Badou Jack soon. Jack, 33, will need to wait until Stevenson takes on Alvarez first. If Stevenson beats Alvarez, then Jack will get the fight with him. Alvarez is on the same level as Badou in the talent department.

Stevenson should be able to get past both guys without any problems. Where Stevenson could have some issues is when he fights Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Artur Beterbiev and Sullivan Barrera. Those are all very good fighters that have some power and boxing skills that will force Stevenson to dig deep to win.

If the fight gets made, it would be the 40-year-old Stevenson’s first mandatory title defense since his win over Tony Bellew 4 years ago on 2013. The fact that the World Boxing Council has slowed Stevenson to go 4 years in between defending against his mandatory challengers tells you a little bit about the sanctioning body.

It’s obviously not a good deal for the contenders that have been waiting for 4 years to try and get title shot against Stevenson. It just goes to show you that if a sanctioning body isn’t going to force a world champion to fight against their No.1 ranking challengers, then it’s not going to get done.

Alvarez, 33, recently beat Jean Pascal by a 12-round majority decision on June 3 in Montreal, Canada. Before that, Alvarez defeated Lucian Bute, Norbert Dabrowski, Robert Berridge, Issac Chilemba, Isidro Ranoni Prieto and Anatolity Dudchenko. Alvarez looks to be a pretty good fighter, but he doesn’t appear to be on the same level as the southpaw Stevenson is.

It’s good for Stevenson, 40, to finally get the fight out of the way against Alvarez while he’s still young enough to win. Stevenson is just not aging. His chronological age is 40, but he’s fighting more he’s in his prime. There’s no sign of letup in Stevenson yet.

Stevenson has held his WBC title for the last 4 years since beating Chad Dawson by a 1st round knockout on June 8, 2013. Stevenson has since defended his WBC title successfully 8 times in beating these fighters:

• Tavoris Cloud

• Tony Bellew

• Andrzej Fonfara – x 2

• Dmitry Sukhotsky

• Sakio Bika

• Tommy Karpency

• Thomas Williams Jr.

Stevenson didn’t need to fight Fonfara a second time, but he did anyway. The Boxing fans would have preferred if Stevenson had taken a tougher fight against the likes of Andre Ward, Sergey Kovalev, Dmitry Bivol, Gvozdyk or Beterbiev. Stevenson doesn’t take a lot of risks with his career. He fights voluntary defenses until he’s ordered to fight his mandatory challenger.
    Where's the link this time? Or are you just trying to convince us this is all your own work now? 😉

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m a fan of Stevenson, he’s exciting and a legit puncher who was real one punch knockout power. He should have fought Kovalev but I’m still a fan. Alvarez looked great against Bute but wasn’t as impressive against Pascal and I think Stevenson will stop him. For me (now Ward has retired) he’s the number one at 175.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Alvarez became mandatory after beating Chilemba in 2015. He also agreed to step aside for the proposed Monaghan bout, that fell through and ended up being Fonfara 2.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    I’m a fan of Stevenson, he’s exciting and a legit puncher who was real one punch knockout power. He should have fought Kovalev but I’m still a fan. Alvarez looked great against Bute but wasn’t as impressive against Pascal and I think Stevenson will stop him. For me (now Ward has retired) he’s the number one at 175.
    I think Kov beats him even after his losses.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe although it’d be interesting to see how he handled the power
    If you’re getting stopped by Ward then Stevenson would be dangerous.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think so too, that left of Stevenson tho is lethal.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Although I would for sure still watch it and be interested, the Kovalev vs Stevenson fight has about completely died out for me. Stevenson hasn't been fighting top level fighters for at least a few years and Kovalev has to prove that the Ward loss didn't ruin him.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Although I would for sure still watch it and be interested, the Kovalev vs Stevenson fight has about completely died out for me. Stevenson hasn't been fighting top level fighters for at least a few years and Kovalev has to prove that the Ward loss didn't ruin him.
    If Kov did what Stevenson has been doing for many years he still would be champion and not ruined. It is easier to defend your title against mandatories than take on real challenges as Kov did against Ward.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    If Kov did what Stevenson has been doing for many years he still would be champion and not ruined. It is easier to defend your title against mandatories than take on real challenges as Kov did against Ward.
    Kovalev has to feel bad about how the Ward series played out. The 1st could have gone either way, the 2nd had both guys robbed of the opportunity for a controversial free ending.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya cannot deny the one punch eraser of Stevenson but he has let so much slip by at this age. Played spectator while division was in motion. He talked Hopkins, had Kovalev super fight on a platter but jumped ship and has watched Beterbiev come in to title shot, Ward come and go and even Jack waltz in win strap and then drop it. Meanwhile he's blowing out the ghost of Fonfara.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have high hopes for Beterbiev and I thought he was next in line for a title fight. What happened there?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have high hopes for Beterbiev and I thought he was next in line for a title fight. What happened there?
    His next fight is for the vacant IBF title.

Thread Information