2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Catalan referendum for independence

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goti71 View Post
    The thing about the Catalan nationalist sentiment is that it's the result of almost 40 years of intense indoctrination in schools and media.
    Hmm, interesting take.
    Quite a few of the old-school Catalans (those who actually did experience the Franco regime) claim they sometimes feel uneasy living there, to say the least (Imagine a snotty snowflake in his 20's calling you fascist on the street).

There's Albert Boadella, who in a recent interview said nowadays he prefers to live in Madrid, song-writers like Joan Manuel Serrat (back in the day he was actually turned down for the Eurovision Song Contest because he insisted on doing the song in Catalan only).
    I watched a video some time ago where this Catalan "intellectual" was going on about a whole load of major historical figures being Catalans rather than Spaniards from other regions. It sounded so historically preposterous with such crappy logic I really thought it was just a guy doing stand-up (and I'm not a naive person). But nobody was laughing though. Now wtf is that?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Goti171, whereabouts are you in Spain?

Galicia?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Goti171, whereabouts are you in Spain?

Galicia?
    Yeah, Galicia. You been there?

El Kabong Guest

The thing about the Catalan nationalist sentiment is that it's the result of almost 40 years of intense indoctrination in schools and media.
    Hmm, interesting take.
    Quite a few of the old-school Catalans (those who actually did experience the Franco regime) claim they sometimes feel uneasy living there, to say the least (Imagine a snotty snowflake in his 20's calling you fascist on the street).

There's Albert Boadella, who in a recent interview said nowadays he prefers to live in Madrid, song-writers like Joan Manuel Serrat (back in the day he was actually turned down for the Eurovision Song Contest because he insisted on doing the song in Catalan only).
    I watched a video some time ago where this Catalan "intellectual" was going on about a whole load of major historical figures being Catalans rather than Spaniards from other regions. It sounded so historically preposterous with such crappy logic I really thought it was just a guy doing stand-up (and I'm not a naive person). But nobody was laughing though. Now wtf is that?

....oh I'm quite afraid I do not have to imagine that

So I guess in Catalonia the pride in their region is the tippy top of the progressive stack eh? The Progressive Stack being pretty much the Oppression Olympics, whoever is the most aggrieved member of society gets to speak first for example in a group of straight white male, gay illegal immigrant hispanic, bisexual asian girl, and black transgendered midget the first person to talk would be the black transgendered midget, then gay illegal, then asian girl, then white dude because unconventional sexual preference + minority race + physical handicap > all the other people.

Are Catalonian's not called racists? Or Nazi's? They want their own ethnostate....why would they be supported on the left?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool Re: Catalan referendum for independence

Hmm, interesting take.

....oh I'm quite afraid I do not have to imagine that

So I guess in Catalonia the pride in their region is the tippy top of the progressive stack eh? The Progressive Stack being pretty much the Oppression Olympics, whoever is the most aggrieved member of society gets to speak first for example in a group of straight white male, gay illegal immigrant hispanic, bisexual asian girl, and black transgendered midget the first person to talk would be the black transgendered midget, then gay illegal, then asian girl, then white dude because unconventional sexual preference + minority race + physical handicap > all the other people.

Are Catalonian's not called racists? Or Nazi's? They want their own ethnostate....why would they be supported on the left?

Oh, no it would be too far-fetched I think to call them Nazis, and it's not about oppression olympics either. Nationalism in Spain is mostly about preserving the local languages and cultural heritage (no ethno-rubbish or anything of the like).

I just think there are too many cultural affinities accross Spain to justify secession without making a fool of themselves. Especially considering how independent they already are.

And slightly off-topic but...
    I've read a bit about the gender-fluid / gender-whacky bullying that's inching its way into the academia (even in biology and science ffs) but I've no idea how bad it really is.

Is it a normal thing to have "safe spaces" in colleges? With pictures of puppies and all?

And if some kid calls you fascist just remind him what faces are for

El Kabong Guest

Oh, no it would be too far-fetched I think to call them Nazis, and it's not about oppression olympics either. Nationalism in Spain is mostly about preserving the local languages and cultural heritage (no ethno-rubbish or anything of the like).

I just think there are too many cultural affinities accross Spain to justify secession without making a fool of themselves. Especially considering how independent they already are.

And slightly off-topic but...
    I've read a bit about the gender-fluid / gender-whacky bullying that's inching its way into the academia (even in biology and science ffs) but I've no idea how bad it really is.

Is it a normal thing to have "safe spaces" in colleges? With pictures of puppies and all?

And if some kid calls you fascist just remind him what faces are for
    LOL, well at least there's that. Sounds like it's common sense enough in regards to preserving cultures and all, I think that is tremendously important regardless of nation (especially in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan et al where women didn't USED to dress like Cousin It). I'm glad it's not a racial deal, that's positive.

As for sharing cultural affinities that should certainly be something to consider before breaking off into another separate country.

Oh it's REAL bad at some schools, at others not so much, but make no mistake Communists have long walked their way into higher education and it is a shitshow on college campuses all over the United States. Some campuses are faaaaaar worse than others for example YALE and the whole Halloween costume email sent out by a Dean and his Wife. The Dean said basically 'You're adults, you shouldn't need a list of costumes that are offensive or not offensive, just go out and have a good time' and holy shit did he catch hell.......from YALE students....you know, PRIVILEGED ass hats!!! Anyone, ANYONE black white, brown, pink and purple polka dotted that goes to Yale is 100 times more privileged than the average person, and yet there they go getting all triggered about an email asking them to act like adults.

....yeah, they are UNHINGED to say the very least. I mean does ANYONE think that shrieking harpy is going to go out in the real world and thrive? I don't. I mean I'm sure she'll make a shit ton of money, but I'm also sure she's mentally ill. You're at Yale and you cannot accept edgy halloween costumes because you're such an emotional wreck that it triggers panic attacks...that's not healthy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

El Kabong I'm getting the feeling this SJW hysteria is to the humanities what pseudo-science is to actual science.

Just think; for a start, it's full of made-up words, you can get the knack in a couple of weeks and you don't have to spend hours learning anything (like you would if you wanted to become a knowledgable historian or a competent doctor).

And you get the free treat of indulging in moral (and pseudo-intellectual) posturing.

Did that brat say it's not an intellectual space? How daft.

The way I see it is a few of the leading sociopaths (like that rabid bitch) will actually land good jobs as so-called teachers but all the rest who buy into that crap —wasting their formative years boycotting fancy-dress parties— will end up in rubbish jobs paying back their student debt.

El Kabong Guest

El Kabong I'm getting the feeling this SJW hysteria is to the humanities what pseudo-science is to actual science.

Just think; for a start, it's full of made-up words, you can get the knack in a couple of weeks and you don't have to spend hours learning anything (like you would if you wanted to become a knowledgable historian or a competent doctor).

And you get the free treat of indulging in moral (and pseudo-intellectual) posturing.

Did that brat say it's not an intellectual space? How daft.

The way I see it is a few of the leading sociopaths (like that rabid bitch) will actually land good jobs as so-called teachers but all the rest who buy into that crap —wasting their formative years boycotting fancy-dress parties— will end up in rubbish jobs paying back their student debt.
    Oh if we were lucky it would only be the humanities!

Yes yes, posturing, virtue signaling...they do it all and they aren't afraid of embarrassing themselves either, they have no shame.

Yes indeed, she said that verbatim. She also said "it's about creating a home here" ....no honey, it's college, eventually you'll have to flap your little wings and leave the nest. The funny part is, she yells "Who the fuck hired you?!?!"....well to name one person Jerelyn Luther (the shrieking idiot in the video) helped get that Dean hired.

Oh they aren't just sociopaths, they are a mass of totalitarian group think and we're talking on the level of Torquemada in the Spanish Inquisition....there is no doubt they'd devise a torture method for nonbelievers/infidels on par with the likes seen in that era but for now luckily they accept resignations and firings.

College has become less and less about preparing for adulthood and more and more a place of privilege (especially for the SJWs) that stunts intellectual growth....I've said it long ago and I'll say it again: some kids would be more than happy to be Professional Students. They want the taxpayer (though they'll say "The government" ) to not only pay their professors but to pay their tuition and pay them for studying and doing homework.....it's really depressing because they have all the opportunity in the world to lead exciting happy lives but they choose to be offended by everything and are so emotionally fragile they cannot handle dissent.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So you are down with putting 900 civilians in hospital for having the temerity to vote then? I suppose even the grandmothers with blood running down their faces at the hand of Spanish police are just virtual signalling SJW's then Lyle, you condescending self righteous piece of shit? Fucking Idiot
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    So you are down with putting 900 civilians in hospital for having the temerity to vote then? I suppose even the grandmothers with blood running down their faces at the hand of Spanish police are just virtual signalling SJW's then Lyle, you condescending self righteous piece of shit? Fucking Idiot
    Who's Lyle?

El Kabong Guest

Who's Lyle?
    That would be me.

I've got @Beanz blocked because he apparently fancies that I am a Nazi or Nazi Sympathizer (because I asked him to clarify his answer to a question another poster asked because he was flippant and dismissive in his first response) and you might have noticed he hasn't taken the blocking all that well....that's because he is delusional oooh boy he does look angry now doesn't he? It does not appear as though his reading comprehension skills have improved either. Beanz doesn't take to answering questions, that's not a thing he does at all regardless of who asks just so you know.

@goti71, I do not believe I've taken a side in this debate, I'm more asking questions about this issue and clarification no? I do admit the topic intrigues me, but it ain't for me to say yes or no break away from this nation you're a part of. I am trying to understand the politics of who wants a united Spain and who wants a stand alone Catalonia and also where the EU falls on this subject......but hey, It is ALWAYS lovely to see Beanz so riled up it makes me laugh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, never mind.

Here's a nice summary of fake photos going around the internet.
    https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/10/06...97_702753.html

Notice Darth Vader strangling Stephen Hawkins in picture 4.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who's Lyle?
    @goti71, I do not believe I've taken a side in this debate, I'm more asking questions about this issue and clarification no? I do admit the topic intrigues me, but it ain't for me to say yes or no break away from this nation you're a part of. I am trying to understand the politics of who wants a united Spain and who wants a stand alone Catalonia and also where the EU falls on this subject......but hey, It is ALWAYS lovely to see Beanz so riled up it makes me laugh.
    No worries, mate.

I'm not satisfied with how crudely they dealt with it either. But it's just so obvious its a publicity stunt I can't be bothered to stick up for this delusion.

El Kabong Guest

Who's Lyle?
    No worries, mate.

I'm not satisfied with how crudely they dealt with it either. But it's just so obvious its a publicity stunt I can't be bothered to stick up for this delusion.

Thanks, part of why I even brought up the topic was after seeing the cops go in for ballot boxes....I was thinking, "Well that is only going to strengthen a movement for secession" but Beanz is one of those SJWs and he wants to see me as some hate filled ogre....I'm not and that might be why he's angry.

I'm glad you understand though.

I was wondering....in Spain has any SJW on a college campus asked to be referred to as Vosotros? I mean here in the US people have used xir, zir, they, it....so it should be interesting to say the least
    Last edited by El Kabong; 10-07-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I've been disconnected from campus life since 1999 but there's no way a professor can be shouted down like that even today. As for pronouns, politicians make an effort to include both genders in their adjectives so they say things like "trabajadores y trabajadoras" (workers) "ellos y ellas" (they m/f) but it's far from becoming a hard-core religion like in the US. Only politcians talk like that.

Also, the Royal Language Academy made a statement lately saying they're discarding the double-gender crap. Though they didn't put it in those words exactly.
    Nah, I think we're alright for the moment.

I do hope all this business comes crashing down in anglophone countries. I get the feeling it's building up so much discomfort the only thing to expect is a 180 degree turn sooner or later.

Thread Information