Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Sergio Martinez actually win a decision ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can Sergio Martinez actually win a decision ?

I'd say he better dominate and win damn near every round and maybe then he'll win a SD or get a draw.

More than likely he will need a KO to win.

The judges and HBO will be heavily against him.

Its going to be difficult to stop an aggressive, determined, big Chavez Jr, but Sergio seems confident he can get him out of there.

Sergio Martinez Eyes KO: I Won't Leave it With The Judges - Boxing News
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can Sergio Martinez actually win a decision ?

Agreed. Especially with Jose Sulaiman looking over the judges' shoulders.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, get a knock down in each round and dominate the rest of the round. Simple!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Yes, get a knock down in each round and dominate the rest of the round. Simple!
    Nah the ref would just attribute the kds to phantom headbutts

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I'd say he better dominate and win damn near every round and maybe then he'll win a SD or get a draw.

More than likely he will need a KO to win.

The judges and HBO will be heavily against him.

Its going to be difficult to stop an aggressive, determined, big Chavez Jr, but Sergio seems confident he can get him out of there.

Sergio Martinez Eyes KO: I Won't Leave it With The Judges - Boxing News
    Martinez will at least need a KD or 2 to win a decision, but not to worry, I think he's going to kick Jr's ass and make a decision irrelevant.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not being paranoid when I say this but I am actually scared. Abril, Campillo, Molina, Jmm, Pacman...yeah I'm really scared.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It seems to be unanimous. Hopefully Martinez can one shot counter the aggressive baby huey into a beautiful KO punch like he did to his last two opponents.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes he can with a dominate performance.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just watched 24/7 on HBO, Martinez looks to be in incredible shape for a 37 year old. I believe Sergio's experience and power will rule the day, i'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he probably can't win a decision against Golovkin.
    cause he gonna get KOd!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he can. Physically it's an uphill battle, not to mention he'll be in a massively hostile envroment. The deck is clearly stacked. But mentally and skillset wise it's very much man vs boy. Chavez part Deaux sounded like he was dropped on his misshapen mutten chops having head as an infant one too many times at the end of lastnights 24-7.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think he can. Physically it's an uphill battle, not to mention he'll be in a massively hostile envroment. The deck is clearly stacked. But mentally and skillset wise it's very much man vs boy. Chavez part Deaux sounded like he was dropped on his misshapen mutten chops having head as an infant one too many times at the end of lastnights 24-7.
    I'm not so sure it will be all that hostile in Vegas, Sergio will have some fans there too, remember Chavez Jr. is a Mexican not an American who hasn't even bothered to try and speak English, his daddy never bothered to learn English either. Just saying, aside from Latinos, I don't believe Jr. has that big of a fan base here in the U.S.

Sergio is a warrior, consummate professional, and used to fighting in adverse environments, so I don't see that being any advantage for Julio.

For what it's worth, I really believe Jr. has been using PEDs during much of his career, how it hasn't been detected so far is a mystery. Nevada has pretty decent drug testing, it wouldn't surprise me if Jr. hasn't been using PEDs leading up to his fight with Martinez and tests positive for something either before or after the fight. Actually PEDs are the only way Jr. has any chance of winning this fight, without them he'll get clowned badly, and even with them he's in trouble.

And yeah Spicoli, I believe Julio Jr. was a crack baby, who got dropped on his head too many times by his daddy.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I'm not so sure it will be all that hostile in Vegas, Sergio will have some fans there too, remember Chavez Jr. is a Mexican not an American who hasn't even bothered to try and speak English, his daddy never bothered to learn English either. Just saying, aside from Latinos, I don't believe Jr. has that big of a fan base here in the U.S.

Sergio is a warrior, consummate professional, and used to fighting in adverse environments, so I don't see that being any advantage for Julio.

For what it's worth, I really believe Jr. has been using PEDs during much of his career, how it hasn't been detected so far is a mystery. Nevada has pretty decent drug testing, it wouldn't surprise me if Jr. hasn't been using PEDs leading up to his fight with Martinez and tests positive for something either before or after the fight. Actually PEDs are the only way Jr. has any chance of winning this fight, without them he'll get clowned badly, and even with them he's in trouble.

And yeah Spicoli, I believe Julio Jr. was a crack baby, who got dropped on his head too many times by his daddy.

I disagree, Mars. I think it will be extremely hostile. There's a huge Mexican fan base in Southern California, Texas, and other states with borders with Mexico.... that will more than gladly fill the Thomas & Mack Center for the fight. Not learning English hasn't seemed to be a hindrance for either of the Chavez's. Imagine....... if Chavez fans are willing to overlook the fact he's been caught cheating on his urine tests..... they're sure not to mind at all that he hasn't bothered to learn English.

But hostile environment or not.... Martinez is the consummate pro. He'll give Junior a thorough schooling.... and hopefully will dump the sneering little coddled baby on his pampered ass.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

New rule. No posting before that 1st cup of coffee. I totally forgot they had moved this from the Alamo Dome in TX . I certainly don't see the mad house in Vegas that TX would have been as far as rabid rowdy fans but Chavez always carries that feeling of 'entitlement' and has been rewarded for family name before, but a bit more level playing field in NV. yeh. At the end of the day judges are judges though...do we know who the ref is yet?

Mars I don't know what he's using or not using but the kid smells of hiding something after the Rubio fight. He was damn near a Lt hvy that night and still not buying the post fight non testing bs. He just acts soft to me. In fairness I do see some changes for the better in style but he is still a straight line fighter. I hope Martinez doesn't find the hittability upstairs too tempting and get sucked in, expose his body as Quest for Fire jr. will be ripping it. I think Martinez has the skill to keep him on a leash all night and walk him into punches from bookoo angles, but he better keep sliding and stay mobile.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

I disagree, Mars. I think it will be extremely hostile. There's a huge Mexican fan base in Southern California, Texas, and other states with borders with Mexico.... that will more than gladly fill the Thomas & Mack Center for the fight. Not learning English hasn't seemed to be a hindrance for either of the Chavez's. Imagine....... if Chavez fans are willing to overlook the fact he's been caught cheating on his urine tests..... they're sure not to mind at all that he hasn't bothered to learn English.

But hostile environment or not.... Martinez is the consummate pro. He'll give Junior a thorough schooling.... and hopefully will dump the sneering little coddled baby on his pampered ass.
    @TITO,
    There's no doubt that the Thomas & Mack Center will have it's share of cheering, jeering mexican and mex-american fans, I just don't think it's going to be a factor in this fight, if anything it will just give Sergio more motivation. I'd like to believe that Sergio will have some fans in Vegas too, certainly those folks who will be betting on him to win.
    The bottom line for me is, I just can't see this 26 year old kid, beating an old pro like Martinez, unless he's been using PEDs or Sergio gets royally fucked on the scorecards.

Thread Information