Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Donaire vs. Rigondeaux - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    People here seem pretty clueless about how much skills transfer from Amateur to pro boxing, hence why most of the best ever pros have had good amateur careers. Considering that Rigondeaux is in my opinion the best amateur boxer ever I think he will give anyone in the pros a good fight.

Im picking Donaire to win this by KO but I would not be suprised if Rigo won.
    He is the best counter puncher i have seen in a long time and if he connects a few big shots early Donaire could start getting scared to throw.

Another thing i find strange with comments here is talking of level of opponents. Donaire hasnt fought that many brilliant fighters. Arce, Nishioka, Mathubela, Montiel are all good fighters but none i would consider great. Vasquez just got beaten by an unknown Jap who had heart but was nothing special. I think Rigo would beat any of these fighters too.

I dont care who wins and just hope its a great fight
    @Silkeyjoe -Right, just in case Rigon wins, that way you won't have to eat as much crow.

An American from Texas walks into a bar in Ireland, he spots a beautiful girl setting at a table, goes over and introduces himself, and offers to buy her a pint. She accepts the offer and the Texan exclaims: You must be Irish, because my penis is Dublin.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know what @Mars_ax and @TitoFan, I guess my take on this fight is that it is the classic high-risk, low reward type of fight for Donaire. He should get credit for the taking the fight regardless of the outcome. The risk here is that Rigo's success in the amateur ranks translates into success in the pro ranks, that he knows how to neutralize Donaire's left hook, and from that he can beat Donaire. The reward is low because there are Rigo-Skeptics, like you two, who if Donaire wins, will question the quality of the win.

Now, before you argue that Rigo wasn't chopped liver if Donaire ices him in the middle rounds with big left hook, need I remind you that there was a sizable contingency of Rigo-cult fans in the boxing community a few months ago. They felt that Donaire was ducking Rigo by taking on every other notable junior featherweight, other than Rigo.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 3 reasons why Donaire will flatten Rigondeaux April 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Raw Speed? I don't think so, they don't call Donaire "the Filipino flash" for nothing. As for Rigon's boxing skills being on a paar with Donaire's, you've got to be kidding, how could you know that? Rigon has only had 11 pro fights against mediocre competition, there's a big difference in amateur boxing skills and those that you need as a pro.

@IamInuit -Are you picking Rigon to win?
    Oh it's a speed thing? I always assumed he was a renowned pervert back in the Phillippines.

I'm picking Donaire by KO/TKO. I can't see Rigo coping with someone who can explode with punches like Donaire.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I kinda see it going something like this:

Jones Dropped Toney Animated GIF | GIFs - GIFSoup.com

Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Though I picked Rigo as a winner and absolutely no knock on the loser in this fight, I wont be touching the betting pool with a 10 feet pole on this fight. I'll just enjoy it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    You know what @Mars_ax and @TitoFan , I guess my take on this fight is that it is the classic high-risk, low reward type of fight for Donaire. He should get credit for the taking the fight regardless of the outcome. The risk here is that Rigo's success in the amateur ranks translates into success in the pro ranks, that he knows how to neutralize Donaire's left hook, and from that he can beat Donaire. The reward is low because there are Rigo-Skeptics, like you two, who if Donaire wins, will question the quality of the win.

Now, before you argue that Rigo wasn't chopped liver if Donaire ices him in the middle rounds with big left hook, need I remind you that there was a sizable contingency of Rigo-cult fans in the boxing community a few months ago. They felt that Donaire was ducking Rigo by taking on every other notable junior featherweight, other than Rigo.
    @Rantcatrat , you're absolutely correct on the high-risk, low-reward description of the fight. But to clarify... it's more of a case of me giving Donaire more credit than some people are giving him, than of me dissing Rigo. Rigo admittedly has vast amounts of amateur experience. And I've mentioned how having someone like Pedro Diaz in his corner is a big plus.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know what @Mars_ax and @TitoFan, I guess my take on this fight is that it is the classic high-risk, low reward type of fight for Donaire. He should get credit for the taking the fight regardless of the outcome. The risk here is that Rigo's success in the amateur ranks translates into success in the pro ranks, that he knows how to neutralize Donaire's left hook, and from that he can beat Donaire. The reward is low because there are Rigo-Skeptics, like you two, who if Donaire wins, will question the quality of the win.

@Rantcatrat,
    The bottom line: Is Rigon as good as a lot of his fans think he is? I believe in a lot of ways he is, but not when it comes to Donaire, who's a level above him.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire could spark Rigondeaux out but somehow, I feel like the Cuban Prodigy will be able to dance around Donaire all night and get away with an upset UD.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Donaire could spark Rigondeaux out but somehow, I feel like the Cuban Prodigy will be able to dance around Donaire all night and get away with an upset UD.
    I have a feeling hell have to win clearly to get a decision. If he dances around I'd fear judges would score for Donaire for being the come forward aggressive fighter despite not landing as much.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

Cant see that. Rigo likes to mix it up himself which could amount to his undoing. I think he really wants to prove something and its a perfect platform to take the spot light away from the other super stars.

Just don't see this going to the cards.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What are the current odds on this bad boy?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What are the current odds on this bad boy?
    Uk bookies bets prices are 4/9 Donaire, 12/5 Rigo and 25/1 the draw. 2/1 Donaire KO, 8/5 Donaire points, 18/5 Rigo points and 13/2 Rigo KO. 4/6 fight to go distance and 6/5 not to go

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The HBO card starts Saturday night @11:00 PM ET here in North America, and @4:00 AM Sunday in the UK/Europe, you foreigners need to set your alarms and check this one out.

April 13
    At New York (HBO): Nonito Donaire vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux, 12 rounds, WBO/WBA junior featherweight title unification; Sean Monaghan vs. Dion "Rex" Stanley, 8 rounds, light heavyweights; Mikael Zewski vs. Daniel Sostre, 8 rounds, welterweights.

cheers!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HBO: 24-7 Road to Donaire-Rigondeaux:

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rigondeaux deserves a beating for wearing that red leather jacket he had on at the press conference the other day. He looked like a refugee from a Michael Jackson concert in the mid eighties. What was he thinking?

Thread Information