Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How long will Wilder-Stiverne last?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Enjoyable fight.
    Stiverne did very well, this fight asks more questions than it answers for Wilder.

Oh hogwash!

Can Wilder take a shot? Check.
    Can Wilder go a full 12 rounds? Check.
    Can Wilder prevail against a higher level of opposition? Check.
    Can Wilder show some improvement over his early comical wildness? Check.
    Can Wilder maintain his focus after someone walks through his power shots? Check.

What else do you want?
    Miss less punches, fight some his own size, not get gassed half way through a round, keep his hands up.
    If a few of stivernes punches connected it would of been a different story tonight.

Fighters who are tall are always going to look awkward, and he has some power, but he did not look natural and was far from dominating.
    He won wide not wlad whoever donination but he dominated

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How long will Wilder-Stiverne last?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Wilder has really surprised me.

He now elevates 4th for me below Klitschko, Pulev and Povetkin. (Excluding David Haye who is unranked until he beats a relevant fighter again)

He has answered some chin issues. I thought he'd go at the first decent shot.

And his stamina was much better than anticipated. I kept thinking he was done but he got second wind time and again.

Bermane Stivernes workrate was atrocious. He really dropped the ball on this one, or maybe it was Wilder's credit for boxing better than most anticipated.

I can't believe this one went the distance! That was unthinkable!

Bermane has one of the hardest of chins for sure.

@Master, looks like your man wins AGAIN!

I wonder if I'll get one non-Klitschko fight correct this year :lol1:
    Wlad fights are predictable.

The reason you get your predictions wrong is because the rest are very poor and very inconsistent.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Enjoyable fight.
    Stiverne did very well, this fight asks more questions than it answers for Wilder.

Oh hogwash!

Can Wilder maintain his focus after someone walks through his power shots? Check.

What else do you want?
    Miss less punches, fight some his own size, not get gassed half way through a round, keep his hands up.
    If a few of stivernes punches connected it would of been a different story tonight.

Fighters who are tall are always going to look awkward, and he has some power, but he did not look natural and was far from dominating.

Why would a tall fighter 'keep his hands up' against a shorter fighter using a tall guard?

Have you been listening to Jim 'I don't like how low his hands are' Watt too much?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Enjoyable fight.

Oh hogwash!

What else do you want?

Why would a tall fighter 'keep his hands up' against a shorter fighter using a tall guard?

LOL..... 'cause that's the standard, "cookie-cutter" criticism to make when you have no other constructive observations.

Have you been listening to Jim 'I don't like how low his hands are' Watt too much?

...... and we all know Jim's boxing pedigree and knowledge of the art of defense.

Good post, @AdamGB . See my comments above.

I thought Wilder exhibited a good defense plan against Stiverne. During the first part of the fight he kept Stiverne at the end of his jab, establishing distance. When Stiverne did get in, Wilder did put his hands up, avoiding any flush shots while Stiverne was still fresh. Later in the fight, when Wilder had figured out Stiverne's timing (or lack thereof), he used head movement to move out of the way of Stiverne's few left hooks. Toward the end of the fight, when Wilder's power punches had pretty much drained the energy and fight out of Stiverne, yes.... Deontay would lean close to Bermane on the ropes, bobbing and weaving his head and looking for a good shot.

I'm not saying Wilder is necessarily Wlad-ready. Wlad is an old fox with too many tricks up his sleeve, and he's not above using any means necessary, legal or otherwise, to protect his chin and win the fight. But I thought Wilder acquitted himself quite well last night. IMO, he answered plenty of questions. Those who thought he was just a chinny, lanky HW waiting for the first bomb to fall so he could crumble in a heap (a group which may have included me at some point).... were proven wrong. He boxed.... he paced himself through 12 rounds..... he didn't punch himself out in a desperate effort that could have jeopardized him.... etc. Hats off to Stiverne for that stainless steel chin he's got, but he did get rocked, and he did get dropped.

Wilder went from never having gone past 4 rounds, to going 12 rounds and winning a wide UD against one of the HW champions of the world. But apparently for some people, nothing will ever be enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Enjoyable fight.

Oh hogwash!

What else do you want?

It tends to mean you get caught less.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe for a complete novice.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...I would have thought this obvious but here goes anyway -

Fighting a smaller man and using a low guard does 3 things

1) it better protects the closest target your shorter opponent has (your body)
    2) by standing tall and covering the body you force the shorter man to reach up, they have to be even closer to you to land anything, assuming your jab is decent you can keep them out of range much easier
    3) because their punches are coming up and from far away, you have increased time to react and evade or counter the incoming (which you can see better because your guard is not blocking your view)

High guards provide limited countering opportunities and inhibit your visibility, pounding away at a guard is tiring, swinging at nothing but thin air is exhausting and makes retracting your punches slower.

A tall fighter with a high guard has less countering opportunities, reduced visibility and an exposed body.

High guards a best used by shorter fighters in a crouched stance, this draws the taller man into stooping and punching downward, allowing the shorter man to uncoil taller counter over the top.

Young Tyson using a high guard? Great

Wilder? Just no...

'Keep your hands up' is just vague, generic and basic parroted boxing tactics.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Parroted" being the operative word here.

Thread Information