Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Really... what did Pascal do aside from 10 second flurries at the end of the rounds? Flurries that half of the shots landed. Bute scored the entire round... from start to finish. Had better technique and showed some real ring-generalship.

If anything, because the fight truly proved nothing, I would have given both of them a draw. Really!
    Bute should be ashamed of himself for taking a paycheck for that performance. The guy actually has the nerve to call himself a fighter after following his opponent around for 11 rounds and doing nothing.
    He said the same thing himself and then has the balls to say yes when Kellerman asks him if he wants another go at Pascal.
    As far as I'm concerned Bute is finished, it now takes him 11 rounds to work up enough nerve to fight for one round.
    They should keep RJJ away from Pascal, if Roy keeps telling him how good he is his head might explode.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Article about Jim Watt's scoring of Pascal-Bute

are people in this thread actually agreeing with watt? i think that you could give bute 4 rounds at most. i gave him 3. pascal fought like he normally does which is in flurries but bute didnt even throw punches. the fight was not even close. it wasnt that pascal was great, it was that bute was terrible.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    are people in this thread actually agreeing with watt? i think that you could give bute 4 rounds at most. i gave him 3. pascal fought like he normally does which is in flurries but bute didnt even throw punches. the fight was not even close. it wasnt that pascal was great, it was that bute was terrible.

Yes, Pascal dominated the fight and fought in spurts as is his norm. The fight was not close at all, although I was worried for Pascal at the start of the 12th. He was gassed and taking a lot of punches.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    The guy who wrote the article is clearly an imbecile himself though. He gave Bute 2 rounds. I thought that Pascal won and thought that he would but he certainly did not score a 10 rounds to 2 shut out. It was a fairly close fight. I don't see what your problem is really. If Watt had it 115-114 to Bute that is hardly the worst score card ever as some people are calling it. I don't think Bute won but the early rounds could have went either way so uncommitted and lack lustre was the performance from both men. Then in the last three rounds Pascal literally stood there and got punched for huge sections of each round even boasting after how he enjoyed the pain of being punched in the head because "..that's boxing baby". What a bell end. You all obviously hate Jim Watt because he doesn't sound like David Niven or Howard Cosell. The American commentators on every single boxing match I have watched in the last ten years are at least a million times worse and far more grating. So embarrassing, uneducated and crass are their performances that pets hurl themselves out of 15th floor windows and birds purposefully fly into the engines of Boeing 747's to avoid hearing any more.
    C'mon @Greenbeanz, you have to watch that again if you thought that was close. I had it 8 rounds to 4 in favour of Pascal. I was being kind of generous to Bute as well.

As for why I don't like Jim Watt, I'm sick of listening to him prattle on when he doesn't seem to see what is actually going on in the ring. He gives an opinion and Sky pundits treat it like it's gospel when he couldn't be more wrong. I've also seen him give a bad scorecard at halfway and upon finding out Harold Lederman has a separate scorecard he evens his up. Watt is awful. Glenn McCrory, Barry McGuigan & Richie Woodhall all do a better job in the co-commentator slot.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anyone think if they had to call a fight and score it at the same time without any influence they wouldn't make themselves look like a cunt?

Every single week on this forum there are people that see fights different. Everyone thinks their scorecard is perfect. If you are forced to submit scores by the round you are gonna get some strange results. That's the reason for so much "poor" judging.
    Last edited by Fenster; 01-20-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Does anyone think if they had to call a fight and score it at the same time without any influence they wouldn't make themselves look like a cunt?

Every single week on this forum there are people that see fights different. Everyone thinks their scorecard is perfect.
    most fights have a range where scores are acceptable. for example, there is no way to score the fight a win for bute in a shutout. there were obvious rounds that he lost that it would be impossible to score for him. i would also say the same for the other side. bute clearly won the 12th round and there is no way that a judge should give it to pascal. this is because there is common sense in judging fights. certain rounds are just obvious to anybody who knows anything about boxing.

certain rounds are close or at least semi close and i can see how you could score it for either fighter. the problem comes when you intentionally score every semi close round for the same fighter because of bias or influence even when the other fighter probably did better.

so for this fight, there is a range of scores which are acceptable and scoring 6 or more rounds for bute is unacceptable.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jim Watts scoring is bad at times

he is one of the most entertaining commentator across the channels tho

i watch american commentating and they just love the sound of their own voices, i remember the america v britain contender thing in newcastle and the american commontators completely spoilt it

they need to learn that it isnt all about what they thing about everything that has ever happened in boxing in hostory and it is about making the action more watchable

each one was just waiting for their chance to talk and then once they got in they just went on and on, less is more sometimes

pauls smith on boxnation is utterly boring

jim watt adds to the fight entertainment
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    The guy who wrote the article is clearly an imbecile himself though. He gave Bute 2 rounds. I thought that Pascal won and thought that he would but he certainly did not score a 10 rounds to 2 shut out. It was a fairly close fight. I don't see what your problem is really. If Watt had it 115-114 to Bute that is hardly the worst score card ever as some people are calling it. I don't think Bute won but the early rounds could have went either way so uncommitted and lack lustre was the performance from both men. Then in the last three rounds Pascal literally stood there and got punched for huge sections of each round even boasting after how he enjoyed the pain of being punched in the head because "..that's boxing baby". What a bell end. You all obviously hate Jim Watt because he doesn't sound like David Niven or Howard Cosell. The American commentators on every single boxing match I have watched in the last ten years are at least a million times worse and far more grating. So embarrassing, uneducated and crass are their performances that pets hurl themselves out of 15th floor windows and birds purposefully fly into the engines of Boeing 747's to avoid hearing any more.
    C'mon @Greenbeanz , you have to watch that again if you thought that was close. I had it 8 rounds to 4 in favour of Pascal. I was being kind of generous to Bute as well.

As for why I don't like Jim Watt, I'm sick of listening to him prattle on when he doesn't seem to see what is actually going on in the ring. He gives an opinion and Sky pundits treat it like it's gospel when he couldn't be more wrong. I've also seen him give a bad scorecard at halfway and upon finding out Harold Lederman has a separate scorecard he evens his up. Watt is awful. Glenn McCrory, Barry McGuigan & Richie Woodhall all do a better job in the co-commentator slot.
    Pascal was rubbish. It was a truly terrible performance by both boxers but there is no way Pascal dominated anything by fighting for ten seconds in a round. If you seriously think I would put myself through watching that again you are sadly mistaken. Bute may have been worse but I truly believe there was no huge chasm dividing the two.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pascal was rubbish. It was a truly terrible performance by both boxers but there is no way Pascal dominated anything by fighting for ten seconds in a round. If you seriously think I would put myself through watching that again you are sadly mistaken. Bute may have been worse but I truly believe there was no huge chasm dividing the two.
    There were numerous 10 second bursts in the round and Bute was doing nothing but fainting and throwing single shots. Pascal wobbled him a few times as well. I thought it was pretty clear cut.

And if you're not gunna agree with me anymore then you can no longer be my alt.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    At the same time, the HBO crew were VERY biased in favor of Pascal.

Lederman's scorecard was way too wide, the fight was much closer. Kellerman was going on about how Bute wasn't throwing, while ignoring the fact that Pascal wasn't throwing much either.
    HBO was off form all evening and again. Housefighter gets a draw he doesn't deserve and Lederman's card all wacko, then the main event and everything going to Pascal and Roy Jones getting a Mickey role for the HBO cameras. Clearly we know who they want to win. Not close early on, but Lederman was trying his hardest not to give Bute his rounds. I had the fight about 7-5 Pascal in the end. Quite close considering how Pascal gassed. Again.

Then calls for a rematch. Please, dear god no. Let Bute find some confidence first.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Every single week on this forum there are people that see fights different. Everyone thinks their scorecard is perfect.
    most fights have a range where scores are acceptable. for example, there is no way to score the fight a win for bute in a shutout. there were obvious rounds that he lost that it would be impossible to score for him. i would also say the same for the other side. bute clearly won the 12th round and there is no way that a judge should give it to pascal. this is because there is common sense in judging fights. certain rounds are just obvious to anybody who knows anything about boxing.

certain rounds are close or at least semi close and i can see how you could score it for either fighter. the problem comes when you intentionally score every semi close round for the same fighter because of bias or influence even when the other fighter probably did better.

so for this fight, there is a range of scores which are acceptable and scoring 6 or more rounds for bute is unacceptable.
    That is the problem though. If you acknowledge that a particular round is "close" you have to accept the possibility it can be scored either way. Therefore there's nothing wrong with scoring all the close rounds for one fighter. When you have to submit a score on a round by round basis there's the possibilty the "dominant" fighter comes out losing.

There are literally dozens and dozens of fights every year where you can make a case for either fighter depending on who was "favoured" by close rounds.

If the majority of people scored Pascal the winner then Pascal is the winner (IMO). But it's understandable without corruption or incompetence that people can find a different winner with a bunch of uncompetitive rounds with not a lot happening.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The absolute truth.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I've wondered how anyone finds him to be anything but a joke. It's not just how off base he always is, but that voice, my god! He is insufferable to me, it actually makes me angry the way he pronounces things. I think muting the sound is really lame but I literally do it if the best quality stream I can find is from Sky sports. Between the accent and the bagpipes, Scotland has got to be the worst sonic entity in the universe.
    Excellent assessment but it's out-horribled by Germany.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been able to tolerate Jim Watt. Such a pessimistic, whiney old fart.

Smash is right. Woodhall would be much better. Even Maguigan. I could listen to him speak forever! (my wife wishes she could put him in her pocket and take him out for sorry time!!)
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    I've never been able to tolerate Jim Watt. Such a pessimistic, whiney old fart.

Smash is right. Woodhall would be much better. Even Maguigan. I could listen to him speak forever! (my wife wishes she could put him in her pocket and take him out for sorry time!!)
    Malignaggi lol.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information