Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sergey Kovalev v Anthony Yarde

Anthony Yarde faces toughest test of unbeaten 18-fight career against WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev.

Anthony Yarde faces the toughest test of his unbeaten 18-fight career as he heads into Russia's industrial heartland next weekend in a bold bid to dethrone Sergey Kovalev from the World Boxing Organisation light heavyweight crown.

Kovalev defends the title he first won way back in 2013 from Nathan Cleverly in Cardiff, in his hometown of Chelyabinsk, where his father was a welder and his mother used to drive a forklift truck.

Brought up in old Soviet Russia, in an area where much of the population are blue collar workers, and where the city was once dubbed 'Tankograd' due to the manufacture, decades ago, of T-34 tanks and Katyusha rocket launchers, Kovalev has found riches fighting in the United States.

Times have changed, but there is steel running through the heart and will of 36-year-old Kovalev, whose long career features one draw and three defeats, twice by the brilliance of the now retired American standout Andre Ward.

But there is a sense that Hackney's Yarde will need a touch of genius, more than simply the power that has brought him 17 knockouts from 18 fights to claim what would rank as an outstanding scalp in his first world title challenge.

The quiet Kovalev - known as 'Krusher' for his power and with a 76 per cent KO ratio from his 33 victories in 37 contests - has fought for more than just personal accomplishments.

He has been open about part of his desire to better his wider family's standing in life, having brought his parents to the USA.

Prior to the Ward defeats, he had claimed three of the four light-heavyweight belts. Indeed, Kovalev was the man to make a slumbering light-heavyweight division 'live' in the last five years.

Yarde is certainly up for the challenge, and has shown his determination in taking this step up against a formidable champion in his own back yard.

The 27-year-old Londoner - who has fought 51 rounds to Kovalev's 162 as a professional - is predicting a knockout victory, and is prepared to go into the trenches.

Yarde told The Telegraph: "What's in my mind is tunnel vision, winning by KO. "However it happens, or whenever it happens, nobody knows. I haven’t got a magic wand so I can’t tell you how.

"Even this fight, I’m not treating it any different. I’m still not going to want to take any punishment and dish out as much punishment as I can in as short a space as I can. I’m not going to be reckless."

Tunde Ajayi, Yarde's trainer and manager, played down Kovalev's tough upbringing, and said that he believes the timing is perfect.

“Look, Kovalev is fighting in his home town, but his home is now California, let’s get that right. Paul Young has a beautiful song, 'Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home. He’s been westernised. The tractor days are gone. He’s waking up in silk pyjamas.”

In other words, according to Tunde, as 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler once said, in silk pyjamas there are no runs at 5am, with the British fighter and trainer believing that the hardened edge of Kovalev has gone.

Yarde has excellent fundamentals, but must now apply them for the first time at an elite level, against an accomplished opponent, who is competing in his 16th world title contest.

The Briton will certainly never been hit as hard, and experience may be the key factor.

But if the 27-year-old Londoner produces his best qualities on the night, and he has the skillset, he could return from Russia with the spoils, and a famous underdog victory to launch him on the world stage.

Sergey Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde for the WBO light heavyweight title is live on BT Sport on Saturday August 24

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ant...143916067.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergey Kovalev v Anthony Yarde

Without putting a huge amount of thought into it. I've gone from thinking it's a step too far for Yarde, to he's going to fuck Kovalev up.

That is all.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have added a poll and I think Yarde will win this too.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Why am I not surprised! Hey, “Lions in the camp” might win. But logically, what can make anybody think that there isn’t a massive difference in levels?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Why am I not surprised! Hey, “Lions in the camp” might win. But logically, what can make anybody think that there isn’t a massive difference in levels?
    From what I have seen of Yarde, he has been outclassing his opponents with such ease that he could possibly be a world class fighter.

Coupled with the fact that Kov is not the force he once was.

Equals a victory for our man.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Too hard to call this as Yarde just hasn't fought anyone good. He'll be getting hit harder than he ever has been, so who knows what happens. He is also a lot younger, looks very strong and is a natural athlete and Kovalev seems to still be hitting the bottle, that's the flip side and it's a strong case. Should be an interesting fight.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazing how many articles can be written not mentioning his racist past or violence towards women, truly sad that some get to be monsters without acknowledgement of their horrific deeds. Let’s talk about toilets

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a feeling off of a top notch win over Alvarez that Kovalev may very well be 36 going on 46 and come in deflated. Big experience gap, first time in Russia for Yarde and has he really had a tough demanding fight yet?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight all depends on how much Kovalev has left. If he fights as well as he did his last fight, he should easily win. You just never know how hard he will train and how hard he hits the liquor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With the Canelo carrot dangling Kov will be on point Yarde manned up going to Russia but he gets beat up bad

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like Adrian Balboa told Rocky when he went to Russia '' YOU CANT WIN! ''

The kids (Yarde) got cojones and I like it!

Risk it all or play it safe, he clearly wants to be taken seriously so he opted to take a very dangerous fight at such a very young stage of his career!

Either Yarde is gonna highlight reel KO Kovalev in Russia in front of his countrymen or Kovalev is gonna knock out Yarde in brutal devastating fashion!

One of the most compelling fights this year, can’t wait. I really have no opinion on this fight. As literally nothing would surprise me. But it won't be close. It'll be a dominating win for either man.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What will it mean if Yarde wins..

Kovalev is still a very dangerous opponent with a vast amount of experience..I don’t know how Yarde can win this unless he hits the belly EARLY.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Kovalev is still a very dangerous opponent with a vast amount of experience..I don’t know how Yarde can win this unless he hits the belly EARLY.
    Yarde has hardly any amateur/professional boxing experience so if he wins this it would be up there as one of the great title wins away from home. Yarde probably needs a knockout just to get the decision over there.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Yarde has hardly any amateur/professional boxing experience so if he wins this it would be up there as one of the great title wins away from home. Yarde probably needs a knockout just to get the decision over there.
    IF Yarde wins, you have to give him all the respect in the World. I just cannot see Kovalev having a homecoming in Russia and getting beat. If there 1% of doubt,He would not even consider it ,would he?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergey Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde: Champion mocks challenger claiming ‘he thinks he is a lion, but he is a cub’

Sergey Kovalev has mocked the ambitions of Britain’s Anthony Yarde ahead of their WBO light-heavyweight title fight in Chelyabinsk on Saturday night.

The unbeaten Yarde will start as a big underdog against his Russian opponent but has insisted he is intent on scoring a knockout victory.

However the hard-hitting Kovalev, who has scored 28 stoppage wins in his 37 fights, dismissed Yarde’s chances of pulling off what would rank as one of the best British boxing victories abroad.

Kovalev told a press conference: “He calls himself a lion but to me he is a cub," referencing Yarde's signature 'Lions in the camp' slogan. "I will have to get rid of all that baby fur off his skin so he will run away back home.

“He has had a lot of fights and he’s won them by KO (and) he thinks he will knock me out, but Saturday will show.”

Despite Kovalev’s barbs, Yarde maintained his relaxed demeanour throughout a tense press conference and staredown.

“This is a fight of experience and youth,” said Yarde. “Experience plays a part but how you perform on the night is what matters.”

“Where I’ve come from, I rose very quickly to be here,” he said. “I’m happy to be at this level and I’m going to make the most of it.

“I’m going to focus on myself, be the best I can be and get the knockout victory, because that’s what I feel I need to do to win the fight.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ser...150600886.html

Thread Information