Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sea turtles are endangered and to be honest, they deserve to be

I don't feel sorry for these things at all. First the mom lays the eggs an insane distance away from the water (they are sea turtles and are born with flippers not feet) and just leaves. When these things hatch they have to dig their way out of a 3 foot hole they were placed in then make a slow hop to the water while most are picked off by seagulls or the hot sun (watching baby sea turtles trying to make it to the water is the most carnage packed and depressing/funny thing you will ever see in nature). If they hatch during low tide good chance of no survivors and if some do survive and make it into the water there's probably a shark or something like that waiting to finish of the batch. Don't feel sorry for them they need to change the way they do things.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sea turtles are endangered and to be honest, they deserve to be

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Were you watching a documentary on them recently? If so what channel? I'd like to catch a replay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah the one i saw was years ago and this is just a very delayed after thought im sure parts of that documentary would on youtube tho. I'm pretty sure its a discovery channel based documentary.

El Kabong Guest

....I had some tree hugging hippy biology professor that tried to make everyone feel guilty for being #1 HUMAN #2 American...... and she was ALWAYS going on about sea turtles!!!

everyday I left that class I wanted to find sea turtles and kill them in the most environmentally evil way possible....like tying them together in the plastic that holds together six packs, pouring nuclear waste on them, and then running them over in a hummer and then send the carcasses to her office!

Of course I really don't dislike sea turtles....just the professor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ....I had some tree hugging hippy biology professor that tried to make everyone feel guilty for being #1 HUMAN #2 American...... and she was ALWAYS going on about sea turtles!!!

everyday I left that class I wanted to find sea turtles and kill them in the most environmentally evil way possible....like tying them together in the plastic that holds together six packs, pouring nuclear waste on them, and then running them over in a hummer and then send the carcasses to her office!

Of course I really don't dislike sea turtles....just the professor!
    well the professor should be the target . poor little ole sea turtle.

El Kabong Guest

...yeah but killing those turtles like that would really kill her soul

....which is how much I hated her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    I don't feel sorry for these things at all. First the mom lays the eggs an insane distance away from the water (they are sea turtles and are born with flippers not feet) and just leaves. When these things hatch they have to dig their way out of a 3 foot hole they were placed in then make a slow hop to the water while most are picked off by seagulls or the hot sun (watching baby sea turtles trying to make it to the water is the most carnage packed and depressing/funny thing you will ever see in nature). If they hatch during low tide good chance of no survivors and if some do survive and make it into the water there's probably a shark or something like that waiting to finish of the batch. Don't feel sorry for them they need to change the way they do things.
    This has given me sleepless nights also .

I think the reason they lay them so far away from the shore is something to do with the incubation of the eggs. They need to maintain a certain tempreture and are layed at a certain depth to prevent them getting either to wet or too hot .
    Amphibians and reptiles incubation tempreture detirmines the sex of the new young and even the slightest degree above or below this will turn them into scrambled eggs .
    The Eggs to my limited knowlage are layed at a specific time of the year to conincide with some fancy lunar cycle on a paticular beech in which the mother turtle was born , most of these beeches have deep lying tides which dont actually go out a great deal .
    Im not sure but don't turtle eggs hatch at night?
    The reason the Mummy turtle lays so many of the little fuckers is to ensure that the species has a good chance of surviving some make it some dont but cos if she layed 3 eggs and there was some big Monitor Lizard hanging about or a nasty looking Fish Eagle on a recce they'd soon get devoured thats why in this case they're small and spritely forthat quick dash to the shore.
    This insures survival of the fittest the slower uglier turtles get eaten whereas the Daley Thompson turtles get to reproduce and have children out of wedlock .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the eggs are laid during the night but they hatch quite some time later during the day and are either roasted by the sun, picked off by seagulls, or they make it.

Thread Information