Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mike Tyson v Sonny Liston

No doubt this has probably been brought up b4 but that's y I'm on here, to get all your opinions coz I havn't heard them bout this topic yet...

2 part question, prime 4 prime who wins in the ring?

And the second part of the question, outside of the ring, who was the badder man?

Inside the ring both men had huge punching power, and intimidation. Both had decent defenses that worked for them, Tyson had his bob and weave, Liston had his closed, tucked in, clamshell like defense.

Outside of the ring both lead infamous lives surrounded by jail sentences, adultery, and notoriety, and associated with the wrong people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mike Tyson v Sonny Liston

Inside the ring, Tyson wins. Liston was made to order for him. Not too much movement, hittable. You had to do a lot of moving around to beat a prime Tyson.

Outside of the ring, I go with Liston. I mean, he broke legs for the mob. He was a union buster. Mike was bad, but not that bad.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Inside the ring, Tyson wins. Liston was made to order for him. Not too much movement, hittable. You had to do a lot of moving around to beat a prime Tyson.

Outside of the ring, I go with Liston. I mean, he broke legs for the mob. He was a union buster. Mike was bad, but not that bad.
    I think TYson was worse outside, I mean he only tried to rape Teddy Atlas underage Niece and punch old ladies in the face and then robbed them.

Inside the ring I'll go with Tyson, unless he gets frustrated and tries to chomp on the guys ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the reply guys...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post

I think TYson was worse outside, I mean he only tried to rape Teddy Atlas underage Niece and punch old ladies in the face and then robbed them.

Inside the ring I'll go with Tyson, unless he gets frustrated and tries to chomp on the guys ears.
    I don't know about Liston's antics with the ladies, so point taken. But Tyson robbed ppl when he was younger. As an adult I only know about him beating up that one washed up boxer who was talking trash about him and that incident when he was hyped up on coke or something. There was that one couple who claimed he beat them up, but Mike had witnesses come forward to say he wasn't doing anything but minding his own business. Again, Sonny Liston worked for the MOB and he broke people's legs to keep them from forming a union at Ford.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem with LIston is that he didn't seem like the type that would hit and hold, whereas you need to do that against Tyson. The less holding involved the more oppertunities Tyson has to hit you.

Tyson is faster and hits harder. Also probably a little harder to hit, and if I had to pick who had the better chin I would be leaning towards Mike in that regard as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I favor a prime Tyson over a prime Liston.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Inside the ring Mike ko's Liston

Outside , neither guy is intimidated by each other.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liston had a brilliant jab that would cause Tyson problems, but go with Tyson, although Liston may have been over the hill by the time he fought Ali.

Liston beat up police officers and was harassed by them. He was a real bad man. Tyson is a puppy compared to Liston.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

I'm not certain who the "badder man" was in actuality they were probably both so unsure of themselves that they were easier to break inside the ring than any rational man. Those guys did outrageous things to make people fear them and when they weren't feared they didn't do so well.

In a fight I figure this mirrors maybe the Frank Bruno fight or Bonecrusher Smith fight.....Tyson gets hurt but ends up KO-ing Sonny.

Foreman would have wrecked them both and perhaps Ron Lyle would have held his own as well. Ron Lyle killed somebody, so I reckon that puts him in the ballpark when we're talking about "bad men"

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know, this is what pisses me off about Mikes regard on all time lists, when you consider Mike at his best the Mike that beat Spinks, put him in with Liston, we see him winning, I also see him beating Frazier and Foreman, theyd have to be strong and move well, I dont see Mike not being able to beat Ali I mean alot of people put him down just because they dont like him but try imagining him bobing and weaving avoiding getting hit and throwing fast 3 and 4 shot combinations, theres not many boxers who could have coped with that and given enough back to justify a win, some may have survived to hear the final bell.

El Kabong Guest

Tyson MAY have been able to get to Frazier because Joe poured it on late in fights where as Mike was a quick starter....if it went past 5 I'd favor Frazier more. vs Foreman? Tyson had 0 chance, not vs the young Foreman, not vs the Old Foreman....Tyson would get the shit beat out of him plain and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Tyson MAY have been able to get to Frazier because Joe poured it on late in fights where as Mike was a quick starter....if it went past 5 I'd favor Frazier more. vs Foreman? Tyson had 0 chance, not vs the young Foreman, not vs the Old Foreman....Tyson would get the shit beat out of him plain and simple.
    I think your selling Mike a little short saying he'd have 0 chance against either version of Big George. Prime Tyson had enough power and skill to have a chance against anyone ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A prime Tyson would have beat Liston up, he was a much better boxer than Sunny, he had great head movement and unbelievable hand speed. Sunny was just big and strong but nothing special and he won the tittle from a much smaller man in Floyd Patterson.

I think outside the ring Liston was the badder man, while Tyson has made dumb choices and mistakes in his life he has a good heart. Liston on the other hand was a thug with well known ties to the Mafia.

ICB Guest

Actually people are selling Sonny Liston short here, lets not forget Sonny Liston was a master at bullying opponents. Remember he taught George Foreman everything he knows about bullying opponents, he also had a ridiculous reach for his height, something like 84 inches wasn't it ? and lets remember Sonny Liston did have a ramrod jab.

Sonny Liston gets seriously underrated because of the Muhammad Ali fights, when infact theres strong sources that actually say Sonny Liston was 40 when he fought Muhammad Ali. Plus there was something for certain shady about the 2nd fight.

Sonny Liston at his best could very well of beaten Mike Tyson, he certainly had the tools. Im not saying he would of, because a prime Mike Tyson is a handful of anyone, and i do have Mike Tyson as the favorite in this fight. But lets not sell Sonny Liston short here.

Thread Information