Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Question about the fact I am trying to become a Boxer but I have glasses

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question about the fact I am trying to become a Boxer but I have glasses

Okay I still aint found a good gym, I do have one in mind but right now before anything. I am worried about my Vision. I wear Glasses I mean i am like blind badley. I can see infront of me of course but I aint going to lie it is not perfect. Everything is to a little to far blurry but I can still see Majorely clearer. I fought without glasses before but those were street fights to just body blow match ups. I am talking about turning profession( Even though that is far from my grip right now) Could this be possible. My father said that you haft to pass some test of vision. Though I do not belive it cuss he's insane. Can any one help me with this problem

Sorry if this has been asked before.

-The Boxing Assassin-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question about the fact I am trying to become a Boxer but I have glasses

I remember reading that Archie Moore in his pre-fight exam against Willie Pastrano couldn't even read the eye chart. The doctor says, "For chrissakes Archie, that's not right!" Archies reply, "Well, Willy ain't going to be that far, anyway."

With the exception of sparring you can do the training with your glasses on. If you're planning on fighting some real bouts you'll have to get some soft contact lenses. On the other hand you can wait til you're older and have the means to get some lasic eye surgery, that's what I got done.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question about the fact I am trying to become a Boxer but I have glasses

Thank you , Chris it means alot. Well I will hope and talk to this gym but really thank you. Made me quite happy actually lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No problem, I used to be in your shoes, my eyes were the definition of "visually challenged." It didn't bother me I'd prefered to take on the son of a gun with my glasses on. I got the soft contact lenses for a while but I found out that they'd come out if I would just blink the wrong way. I hear that in a bout if you tell the referee that a contact lense comes out then you lose.

I find that some eye exercises help, did you know that Rocky Marciano had a pendulum on the ceiling over his bed to train his eyes? I find that the best thing is to find a good deal on lasic surgery, and to protect yourself so that you'll keep your eyes well instead of dealing with a detached retina.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What boxing greats were blind?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd have to go way back in time to answer that question. Here's one, his name is Sam Langford. He was a terrific fighter and had a tremendous punch. He lost sight in one eye, perhaps a detached retina and almost all of his vision in a fight against a guy named Tiger FLowers. Here's the good part-- even with his sight gone, he didn't quit, instead he waited for his man to come in. The moment that he felt his opponent was in range he put everything he had in a tremendous right hand chop and down his opponent went with a ghasp and a thud. He kep on fighting after that, mind you that he couldn't see in one eye, and in the other barely pick up blurs and shadows. He had a couple neat stories of guys he kayoed after, but he took most of his losses during that period too. Even with surgery he became totally blind. He wasn't forgotten, people would give him donations, throw him parties, and later he'd end up in the boxing's hall of fame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your usual nice positive style Chris CC
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Thread Information