Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Father-Son Boxing Career Comparisons

Maybe this has been done before, don't know.

Seeing an old Wilfredo Vazquez video clip on another thread and hearing commentary about a promising Wilfredo Jr. at the time got me thinking about the many different father-son boxing careers over the years. In some cases, the son is unable to reach the heights reached by his father, as was the case with Wilfredo Jr. and his dad. Other times it's quite the opposite, the most famous case recently being Floyd himself.

What other father-son careers have there been and who has had the better career?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Father-Son Boxing Career Comparisons

Eubank, Benn and Collins have all had sons fighting and so far dads are better.

Chavez Snr is a god of boxing and Junior is the gimp.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are quite a few next gen boxers coming through at the minute.

Shane Moseley Jr
    Diego De La Hoya
    Kostya Tszyu
    Tim Tszyu
    Eubank Jr
    Benn Jr

(not all of them are the sons but still I think they are still relevant to the thread)

Shane Mosely Jr got beat last night, commentators (can't remember who it was) actually said that Shane has been a bad influence on his sons boxing style because he is picking up his fathers habits and they don't suit him and that he obviously has talent but needs to figure out what sort of fighter he is without his dads input.

The only one who so far looks like they are going to carve out a successful career for themselves is Eubank Jr, we just need him to decide that he wants a sensible career. Even then though he is a long way off what his father was

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Our perceptions of this are scewed because we notice the sons of famous fathers. We don't notice the fathers of famous sons.

Like, rather sure Roy Jones father was a boxer. We would never know if it wasn't for Jr.

I think ODLHs dad boxed, at least I assume by how badly Oscar was desperate to please him in the ring.

Danny Garcia's dad boxed.

Many fighters we know have fathers that boxed. We just don't know because they weren't exceptional.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are there cases where the sons have been famous, and the dads had been famous as well? That's a tough one.

Another example of a father-son boxing combo was Hector "Macho" Camacho, and Camacho Jr.
    Junior showed a little promise early on, but fizzled out faster than a candle in a gale force wind.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Are there cases where the sons have been famous, and the dads had been famous as well? That's a tough one.

Another example of a father-son boxing combo was Hector "Macho" Camacho, and Camacho Jr.
    Junior showed a little promise early on, but fizzled out faster than a candle in a gale force wind.
    hows about actors? the first one that comes to mind with regards to actors is Keifer Sutherland, as for boxers in the UK again as much as it pains me to say it Eubank Jr is quite a big name for the casuals.

I want to call him a cunt but he isn't at David Hayes level just yet but he is certainly knocking on the door

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cory spinks had a pretty good career he won a few world titles, beat mayorga and so on, son of leon who wasnt that great but was certainly famous after beating ali.

and mentioning ali, not father son but laila ali is one of the most famous female boxers ever(mostly due to being related to being mohammeds daughter :S), no idea if she was any good as I dont watch female boxing.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    cory spinks had a pretty good career he won a few world titles, beat mayorga and so on, son of leon who wasnt that great but was certainly famous after beating ali.

and mentioning ali, not father son but laila ali is one of the most famous female boxers ever(mostly due to being related to being mohammeds daughter :S), no idea if she was any good as I dont watch female boxing.
    You mean you haven't seen Katie Taylor you fool she is fucking amazing, PPV stuff within the next 2 years I reckon, she is fucking amazing.........or so Sky would have you believe

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

Cory and Leon are a pretty good example of a father-son combo where there isn't a clear-cut winner as to who was more famous/ successful. I'm sure you'd get an argument either way. Michael, Leon's brother, was pretty good in his own right.

Leila was good, but it seems she faded quite quickly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couldn't be a wider gap than how Aaron Pryor jr ended up compared to his Father. 6'4 and double digit losses was not Pops way. Guty Espadas Sr and Jr I believe were the very first Father-son pair to win titles, with Jr arguably doing just as well and being robbed vs an undefeated Erik Morales. Tracy Patterson and Floyd did very well for themselves.

Thread Information