Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Benn: Calzaghe far too good for Brit/Euro

Just found this on another board (quotes from Nigel Benn)...

I thought I could maybe win the Southern Area title, British at best. So to be two-time world champion was way beyond my wildest expectations.

To be a world champion you have to be exceptionally good. My old mate Tony Velinor I thought was better than me in the amateurs, and he didn't get near any world ranks.

To be a world champion for 10 years, you are talking legend. Legend.
    It's no fault of Joe's that better people haven't been put in front of him. Whatever has been put in front of him, he's smashed up and often looked a million dollars doing it.

What he wants to do is say it's better late than never and let's cross that pond and seek these fights with some of the top Americans. Blokes like Taylor and Hopkins. Hopkins is old now and not throwing much so Taylor might be the one.

To be kept in Britain and Europe and fighting British and European fighters, that isn't good enough for Joe's ability. That doesn't impress anyone, not least the Yanks.
    He really should have been in the ring eight to 12 weeks after his smashing of Jeff Lacy, bad hand or not. He could have pushed for these fights and had them long ago. He could have his feet up by now.

When I fought, I wanted to be smashing people every week and pushing for these great fights. I wanted proper challengers so kept changing managers and promoters to get them.

In an 18-month period I fought some of the greatest wars against the likes of DeWitt, Barkley, Watson, Eubank - all the tough guys. That's why the public on both sides of the Atlantic sat up and took notice that there was more than one Big Ben!

Barkley had sparked Tommy Hearns quicker than Marvin Hagler and ran Michael Nunn to the wire who was the best pound-for-pound fighter at the time.

They couldn't make it at Old Trafford and I wasn't going to hang around, I wanted a tear-up and I wanted respect and I wanted to show the Yanks that us Brits aren't no push-overs.

I went right into Barkley's back garden, got off first and tried smashing him out of the ring.

I didn't take an easy defence, I took on Chris Eubank! I wanted to give the public a proper fight.

Gerald McClellan was the most feared man in boxing when I fought him. He couldn't get anyone else in the ring. I could have fought a runner like Nunn but wanted a proper fight and wasn't going to duck him.

An incarcerated Mike Tyson described Gerald as the best fighter in the world, Don King said he was going to punch me into a hospital bed. I didn't care, he was going to have to kill me to beat me. I wanted to do Britain proud.

Joe should be a little more urgent, because if the chances pass it'll be a crying shame really for a guy who'd have probably given me and Chris and Steve Collins a good going over.
    'Benn is in Hertfordshire right now training guys for an army boxing event for charity with Dave 'Boy' Green'

--

Interesting. But the Americans respect Kessler after seeing his last couple of fights, don't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Benn: Calzaghe far too good for Brit/Euro

Nigel Benn brings a tear to my eye when he talks like that. He has my respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nium

I thought I could maybe win the Southern Area title, British at best. So to be two-time world champion was way beyond my wildest expectations.

To be a world champion you have to be exceptionally good. My old mate Tony Velinor I thought was better than me in the amateurs, and he didn't get near any world ranks.

It's no fault of Joe's that better people haven't been put in front of him. Whatever has been put in front of him, he's smashed up and often looked a million dollars doing it.

What he wants to do is say it's better late than never and let's cross that pond and seek these fights with some of the top Americans. Blokes like Taylor and Hopkins. Hopkins is old now and not throwing much so Taylor might be the one.

To be kept in Britain and Europe and fighting British and European fighters, that isn't good enough for Joe's ability. That doesn't impress anyone, not least the Yanks.
    He really should have been in the ring eight to 12 weeks after his smashing of Jeff Lacy, bad hand or not. He could have pushed for these fights and had them long ago. He could have his feet up by now.

When I fought, I wanted to be smashing people every week and pushing for these great fights. I wanted proper challengers so kept changing managers and promoters to get them.

In an 18-month period I fought some of the greatest wars against the likes of DeWitt, Barkley, Watson, Eubank - all the tough guys. That's why the public on both sides of the Atlantic sat up and took notice that there was more than one Big Ben!

Barkley had sparked Tommy Hearns quicker than Marvin Hagler and ran Michael Nunn to the wire who was the best pound-for-pound fighter at the time.

They couldn't make it at Old Trafford and I wasn't going to hang around, I wanted a tear-up and I wanted respect and I wanted to show the Yanks that us Brits aren't no push-overs.

I went right into Barkley's back garden, got off first and tried smashing him out of the ring.

I didn't take an easy defence, I took on Chris Eubank! I wanted to give the public a proper fight.

Gerald McClellan was the most feared man in boxing when I fought him. He couldn't get anyone else in the ring. I could have fought a runner like Nunn but wanted a proper fight and wasn't going to duck him.

An incarcerated Mike Tyson described Gerald as the best fighter in the world, Don King said he was going to punch me into a hospital bed. I didn't care, he was going to have to kill me to beat me. I wanted to do Britain proud.

Joe should be a little more urgent, because if the chances pass it'll be a crying shame really for a guy who'd have probably given me and Chris and Steve Collins a good going over.
    'Benn is in Hertfordshire right now training guys for an army boxing event for charity with Dave 'Boy' Green'

--

Interesting. But the Americans respect Kessler after seeing his last couple of fights, don't they?
    I think everyone respects Kessler more than Joe because he fights good fighters in their backyard. Mundine, and now Joe at Cardiff. I have no doubt Mikkel could do what Joe and Sven Ottke did and defend his title 20 odd times against b class fighters at home but he is willing to travel to fight the best. I would hope if Joe win in a close fight on points in Cardiff he would give Mikkel a rematch in Copenhagen. Methinks he wouldnt in a million years. Yet i think Mikkel would give Joe a rematch.

That is why Kessler has more respect than Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle

--

I think everyone respects Kessler more than Joe because he fights good fighters in their backyard. Mundine, and now Joe at Cardiff. I have no doubt Mikkel could do what Joe and Sven Ottke did and defend his title 20 odd times against b class fighters at home but he is willing to travel to fight the best. I would hope if Joe win in a close fight on points in Cardiff he would give Mikkel a rematch in Copenhagen. Methinks he wouldnt in a million years. Yet i think Mikkel would give Joe a rematch.

the only reason the fights happening in cardiff now is because team kessler didn't have the money to stage it in denmark, so why would a remtach go there for? speak sense mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme

--

the only reason the fights happening in cardiff now is because team kessler didn't have the money to stage it in denmark, so why would a remtach go there for? speak sense mate.

Don`t talk on anything,you don`t know shit about,only reason the fights happening in cardiff is on Kessler`s demand,Kessler only got about $1.mill if the fight was held in Copenhagen,so he told Palle,he will fight Calzaghe in Cardiff,because he will get pay more money
    Super Middleweight also acknowledge as Kessler's Kingdom when Calzaghe has retire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jangeorg

--

Don`t talk on anything,you don`t know S*** about,only reason the fights happening in cardiff is on Kessler`s demand,Kessler only got about $1.mill if the fight was held in Copenhagen,so he told Palle,he will fight Calzaghe in Cardiff,because he will get pay more money
    So whose fault is that?? Old man Palle he offered Calzaghe $5 million Joe said see you in Copenhagen, its old man Palles fault not Warren or Calzaghe.

ICB Guest

Who cares where there fighting aslong as the fight is happening who cares don't start another debate

As for Benn he had alot of bottle he fought everyone and didn't duck anyone and went to there backyard Benn has my respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983

--

Don`t talk on anything,you don`t know S*** about,only reason the fights happening in cardiff is on Kessler`s demand,Kessler only got about $1.mill if the fight was held in Copenhagen,so he told Palle,he will fight Calzaghe in Cardiff,because he will get pay more money
    So whose fault is that?? Old man Palle he offered Calzaghe $5 million Joe said see you in Copenhagen, its old man Palles fault not Warren or Calzaghe.
    '

That the F*** are you talking about??,i have not talking about who`s fault i was,i said Kessler will fight Calzaghe in Cafdiff,because he will get pay more money
    Super Middleweight also acknowledge as Kessler's Kingdom when Calzaghe has retire

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

--

Were you dropped on your head as a baby or something? thats exactly what i said. Palle didn't have enough money to stage it there, he thought he did, but could only offer 1mill, and since his own fighter would not accept that they had to move it to cardiff. shit we really need to spell stuff out to you don't we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha the Calzaghe fanboys are out in force!!!! The point is in 50 years time when people look back they
    ll see that Kessler travelled to take on top opposition and Joe did not. Hence Keesler will get more respect if they have similiar records. Also not one of the Calzaghe fans disagreed with me when i said Kessler could easily have Calzaghes record if he fought shit opposition in his home country like joe has done.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha the Calzaghe fanboys are out in force!!!! The point is in 50 years time when people look back they
    ll see that Kessler travelled to take on top opposition and Joe did not. Hence Keesler will get more respect if they have similiar records. Also not one of the Calzaghe fans disagreed with me when i said Kessler could easily have Calzaghes record if he fought shit opposition in his home country like joe has done.....
    In 50 years time nobody will be talking about either fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel
    ll see that Kessler travelled to take on top opposition and Joe did not. Hence Keesler will get more respect if they have similiar records. Also not one of the Calzaghe fans disagreed with me when i said Kessler could easily have Calzaghes record if he fought S*** opposition in his home country like joe has done.....
    Well lets change it to 20 years then, u still havent answered the question. Any fighter of decent skill with a title could fight 20 boxers that dont have near the talent of him at their home venue and have 20 wins. Shit even Sven Ottke could and all i hear is how bad he was yet Joe is some kinda star for doing the same thing. 20 odd defenses against bums is not worth 5 against top guys. Even a close loss to a guy like Hopkins or Jones would have done more for Joes legacy than his wins aginst Manfredo and othe assorted bums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You really think so?

Not me. Joe has been regarded as his people's greatest fighter, like wise with Kess.

They'll be remembered...especially if they put on a blaster or one or the other just hammers the other man out.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ll see that Kessler travelled to take on top opposition and Joe did not. Hence Keesler will get more respect if they have similiar records. Also not one of the Calzaghe fans disagreed with me when i said Kessler could easily have Calzaghes record if he fought S*** opposition in his home country like joe has done.....
    Well lets change it to 20 years then, u still havent answered the question. Any fighter of decent skill with a title could fight 20 boxers that dont have near the talent of him at their home venue and have 20 wins. Shit even Sven Ottke could and all i hear is how bad he was yet Joe is some kinda star for doing the same thing. 20 odd defenses against bums is not worth 5 against top guys. Even a close loss to a guy like Hopkins or Jones would have done more for Joes legacy than his wins aginst Manfredo and othe assorted bums.
    This is the problem with guys like you. If you weren't around to watch the Ottke era I'm betting the first Calzaghe fight you saw was Lacy, right? So now you look at Joes record and see names like Eubank, Reid, Brewer, Mitchell, Woodhall etc, and because these names don't mean anything to you, you mistakenly believe them to be bums. When in fact it's clear to see Calzaghe has beaten plenty of world class fighters, and must be an exceptional talent to have remained unbeaten over such a length of time.

Fighting Hopkins and Jones would have been great. But you can't fight them if they're not willing to face you.

And in 50 years time no-one will give a flying fuck about where the fight took place just who WON!!!
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Fenster ]
    Well lets change it to 20 years then, u still havent answered the question. Any fighter of decent skill with a title could fight 20 boxers that dont have near the talent of him at their home venue and have 20 wins. S*** even Sven Ottke could and all i hear is how bad he was yet Joe is some kinda star for doing the same thing. 20 odd defenses against bums is not worth 5 against top guys. Even a close loss to a guy like Hopkins or Jones would have done more for Joes legacy than his wins aginst Manfredo and othe assorted bums.
    This is the problem with guys like you. If you weren't around to watch the Ottke era I'm betting the first Calzaghe fight you saw was Lacy, right? So now you look at Joes record and see names like Eubank, Reid, Brewer, Mitchell, Woodhall etc, and because these names don't mean anything to you, you mistakenly believe them to be bums. When in fact it's clear to see Calzaghe has beaten plenty of world class fighters, and must be an exceptional talent to have remained unbeaten over such a length of time.

Fighting Hopkins and Jones would have been great. But you can't fight them if they're not willing to face you.

And in 50 years time no-one will give a flying F*** about where the fight took place just who WON!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats so right....Most people think Joes career starts with lacy and so easly dismiss his record as bums....when in reality at the time these guys were considered A big threat to Joe's Title but after he dismantles them and makes them look S***...o now they are bums.

I mean sure say what you want about ashira manfredo and such but havnt you all heard of Joe loius's BUM OF THE MONTH even his 25 recrd defences at Heavyweight had plenty of low class opposition....

In 50 years time Joe calzaghe will be talked about as one of the Greatest boxers britian ever produced..and in the eyes of Brits probably one of the best talents in the world.

And he will forever be a genuine legend in Wales. regardless of wether Kessler beats him or not.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Thread Information