Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hopkins or Floyd, who will do more for boxing after they retire?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins or Floyd, who will do more for boxing after they retire?

Both will stay in boxing, that's a certainty.
    Hopkins was saying some interesting things after the Kovalev fight about the best fighting the best, meaningful fights, one champion, and some promoters working together to make that happen. Another load of BS to enhance GB's image or was he serious?
    Floyd will be in boxing for years to come too, but will he be there just for the money or to also make boxing better for the fighters and fans?
    Any thoughts, y'all?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins or Floyd, who will do more for boxing after they retire?

Hard to say, Floyd is in a position to do a lot of good. He will need to keep a lot of good people around him to keep him on the right path. I have no doubt Bhop will do something positive.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see Floyd being as successful in the business aspect of boxing/life like Oscar is. I think the fact that Hop is notoriously stingy and lives that Spartan lifestyle means he will keep more of his money, but I don't know that he does much for boxing in that sense. Floyd has that luxurious lifestyle, gambling...etc. I see things going sideways for him, and not trying to kick the guy low, but he doesn't seem very educated which makes me wonder how hard it will be for slick business types or jealous sociopaths in his entourage to rip him off. Evander Holyfield didn't have the excessive lifestyle Floyd does and look where he is today....

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd has the potential to do much more because he has much more capital to invest and a larger public profile. Hopefully he decides to put his millions into his promotion company for the benefit of young boxers coming up, as opposed to handing it over to a Vegas bookie betting on sports like he usually does. If Floyd doesn't stop living like a degenerate I think he'll be another classic case of a multimillionaire boxer going broke.

I'd love to see Hopkins work as a trainer, guys like him and Toney have so much knowledge and mastered the craft, it'd be a shame to see it not passed on.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure either are in a position as far as looking beyond themselves for the benefit of the sport. Both would be wise minds in the corner, training but again too much ego. Both have hands in promotions with Hopkins appearing to be more on the frontlines and vocal, more positive maybe and willing to take a backseat to Oscar with mutual vision. Floyd has some promising pupils but still has an enormous amount of growing up to do before he worries about others. The two are and have always been on opposite ends on the spectrum in regards to spotlight and stage but both have become accustomed to being 'the bad guy'.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even as an active fighter Floyd has already done more for the sport than Hopkins ever will. He has made strides in freeing fighters from "slave contracts" with promoters by providing a template that other fighters can be their own bosses. By refusing to fight opponents who won't submit themselves to the most basic standards of drug testing, which we all know are deeply flawed, Floyd has taken steps to ensure there is more strict PED testing in the sport.

Hopkins talk at the end of the Kovalev fight was his attempt to keep a positive image in the public eye. He knows he'll quickly fade into boxing obscurity and is trying his best to ensure that people continue to like him. He's putting on the respectable elder statesman hat .This is very different from how Bernard has presented himself throughout his career, as a mean, tough SOB from Philly who couldn't give a shit what anyone thought of him.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I don't see Floyd being as successful in the business aspect of boxing/life like Oscar is. I think the fact that Hop is notoriously stingy and lives that Spartan lifestyle means he will keep more of his money, but I don't know that he does much for boxing in that sense. Floyd has that luxurious lifestyle, gambling...etc. I see things going sideways for him, and not trying to kick the guy low, but he doesn't seem very educated which makes me wonder how hard it will be for slick business types or jealous sociopaths in his entourage to rip him off. Evander Holyfield didn't have the excessive lifestyle Floyd does and look where he is today....
    Is Oscar very educated though? Is he really a smarter guy than Floyd is? I doubt it, listen to him, it's just a different type of stupid. Oscar has a nice image and that phony PC demeanor, which might help, but he has obviously been handled at the same time. Not to mention the guy has problems with drugs, hookers and dildos himself, no reason to think Mayweather is spending more just because he's open about it Oscar would clearly be an easy target for all the sharks out there as well, probably moreso than Floyd if anything. Both of them were smart enough to surround themselves with people a lot smarter than they are, is what's important.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Is Oscar very educated though? Is he really a smarter guy than Floyd is? I doubt it, listen to him, it's just a different type of stupid. Oscar has a nice image and that phony PC demeanor, which might help, but he has obviously been handled at the same time. Not to mention the guy has problems with drugs, hookers and dildos himself, no reason to think Mayweather is spending more just because he's open about it Oscar would clearly be an easy target for all the sharks out there as well, probably moreso than Floyd if anything. Both of them were smart enough to surround themselves with people a lot smarter than they are, is what's important.
    I don't think Oscar is more educated, but GBP seemed to pic up much faster to me. I also remember Oscar investing heavily in real estate, and I dont remember him having the excessive lifestyle that Floyd does. Finally, I think you nailed it when you said Oscar was more likable. Business is business, but a big part of that is people have to want to work with you. I don't see that with Floyd, but maybe Floyd is different behind the scenes.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The one thing I'm sure of is that both Floyd and Hopkins are much smarter than even the knowledgeable boxing fans realize.
    Hopkins' frugal lifestyle probably comes from his early life and time in prison--where you get a good look at how little you can get by on. Don't forget that Hopkins has seen and known plenty of boxers who have thrown their money away in stupid ways.
    Floyd has butted heads with and held his ground with some of the most successful people in boxing. Intelligence doesn't have a frigging thing to do with education. I've seen some uneducated individuals with a native intelligence and shrewdness about them that leads me to believe that a great education might have been a hinderance for them. What I mean is that while their friends were still in school they were out making a great start on a fortune.
    Hopkins, Floyd, and Oscar have all done well without that great education. Shrewdness, native intelligence, or listening to good advice…they have done very well.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yeah I agree, I think they're both idiots, but are rich enough to have smart people thinking for them.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Floyd goes broke and has to fight again making a comeback and getting his ass beat up.

Hopkins should be humble, just shut up and train fighters and not be allowed to preach to the public.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information