Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

All great reasons there above. Master has interestingly named a single boxer as one of his reasons which is really cool. Its amazing how one single person can influence someone's life like that. Tyson was a ferocious force, I was scared of him in 1985 when he was coming up and Holmes was fading out. The brutality of it, the fierceness, you could feel this guy was more than a nightmare. I remember one night in 1987 I heard his fight was being shown in some dormitory on campus, so at 9 p.m. I sprinted like a mile and a half just to get there and pay $5 to get in and see his fight with Pinklon Thomas. Here's what happened:

pink1.jpg

pink2.jpg

pink3.jpg

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hooray, a thread actually about boxing

1. Grace under pressure. When you watch someone under the greatest physical threat and they can rise above it and be cool and calculated. Never losing the technique. Ali against Foreman. Or just about against anyone to be fair. Archie Moore. You never saw Joe Louis waste a punch. Ray Leonard.

2. Control. Making the other guy fight your fight on your terms. Dictating tempo, distance, space and time. Duran. Early Tyson. Pacquiaio. Hagler. De la Hoya was good at this, this is what separates the elite from the rest.

3. Splattering some motherfucker. Again, Tyson. Nigel Benn, Golovkin, Marciano, Dempsey, The Hit Man. Elemental and beautiful in its controlled savagery. Each supposedly random wild swing being the result of thousands of hours of practice
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was a child there was a man who was in charge of a group of us fidgeting children after church and he was good because he had a library of fights and it got our attention with Sugar Ray Robinson, Jersey Joe Walcott, Joe Louis. Rocky Marciano and Henry Hank Armstrong and to this day I wondered how many arms he had. The pocorn soda, ice cream and cake spoiled dinner for all of us every Sunday after church. I learned to box at thitirteen and never got serious until I was fifteen after seeking revenge to have a fight with an opponent that never materialized. The third reason was I was always in front of the TV on Saturday afternoon continuing the tradition of those church basement showings and I remembered that movie projector smoking three hours later and I sat on my livingroom floor with my pup and two plates of chips and a beer for me and one for my pup. One thing I forgot to mention was that when I took an active part in boxing for a short while, I found the event to not be as exciting and fulfilling as the effort to prepare. Three reasons are not enough to love boxing as a spectator and I am going to continue to salute. any man with the courage to build himself up in friendly com bat and remember it is a contest.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a kid it was just something that drew me in more than other sports. Football was okay, but it didn't have that genuinely unpredictable element of 2 men in close proximity trying to hit one another and avoid punches too. That proximity brings with it an intensity that no other sport can. I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

Memphis does bring up death, but I cannot say that the prospect of death ever drew me to someone like Calzaghe who I enjoy above all other fighters with Toney up there of course, who likewise was not really a murderous puncher, especially later on. For me, watching that it was more about artistry and body fluidity, seeing those combinations and seeing punches from such unorthodox angles. It was impressive to see Calzaghe use that ballet like fluidity to make his opponents look silly at times. Or Toney make his opponent miss and then swiftly counter. The sweet shot.

The death aspect is certainly there and maybe some enjoy that and I do have a reputation for not enjoying early stoppages when I think the fighter has a chance, but I don't really enjoy that side. I will never forget poor Ricky Hatton out cold like that almost in a coma. That side is horrible, but then if it is Manny out cold do I get the satisfaction? I would prefer a stoppage that did not result in being unconscious. However, we do get into the moment and if your fighter is down then a dramatic KO is what you are hoping for.

It is a very brutal sport at times and it wouldn't be the same without the drama and the risk. Humanity can claim to want utopia and perfection, but with boxing around, we are always reminded of our darkness.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.
    Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    I think he had the lowest percentage body fat of any fighter in history

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post

I could believe that, he was musclebound and ripped but that was what made him tire so much late in the fights.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could believe that, he was musclebound and ripped but that was what made him tire so much late in the fights.
    I have often heard it said that he was on steroids but I have no information about that. Do you think that was possible?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have often heard it said that he was on steroids but I have no information about that. Do you think that was possible?
    No way. He trained hard and it was all natural.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruno still trains today. He seems to be someone who needs that routine in his life. Many fighters let thrmselves go but I don't remember any fat Bruno period.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way. He trained hard and it was all natural.
    Ok

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just like to see guys fight and often times, get beat up. lol...

I don't know? I just always liked the fights. Even as a boy, I just remember them. First time I noticed the fights was when I was reading an old magazine with Tyson upercutting Marvis Frazier. Then after that I think the first fight I remember was Tyson vs Spinks. After that I was hooked. lolol...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information