Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Remember Buddy Boggs ?

Buddy Boggs - Boxer

Another poster was asking about a friend's Dad, so I figured I'd enquire about this guy.

My Dad was friends with Buddy Boggs in the early 70's, both worked as iron workers at the time in Washington D.C.

Anyway Boggs was a pretty damn good fighter, once ranked #8 in the world.

He even fought Vito Antefuermo.

Ever heard of Buddy Boggs ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Remember Buddy Boggs ?

Anyone

I guess he never fought on TV then. I was hoping maybe he had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Anyone

I remember Buddy,he was the reason a friend of mine avoided a major beating.
    Back in the Golden Gloves days (mid 60's -?) a very big and brutal fight erupted at a teen club dance.
    My friend was being rushed by several guys with blunt objects, when he heard what he thought were
    two muffled gun shots. Turns out it was two hard head shots from Buddy Boggs that dropped two of
    the guys in their tracks. Buddy asked "Do you have a car?", and when Bobby(my friend) nodded yes
    he(Buddy) grabbed his arm, in what was later described as a vise grip-with bruises as proof, and
    drug him outside. They jumped into his car and got away. After that we started following Buddy's
    carrier . Sorry to say in the ensuing years I have lost track of both of them, but I do remember.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by misterblue View Post
    Anyone

I remember Buddy,he was the reason a friend of mine avoided a major beating.
    Back in the Golden Gloves days (mid 60's -?) a very big and brutal fight erupted at a teen club dance.
    My friend was being rushed by several guys with blunt objects, when he heard what he thought were
    two muffled gun shots. Turns out it was two hard head shots from Buddy Boggs that dropped two of
    the guys in their tracks. Buddy asked "Do you have a car?", and when Bobby(my friend) nodded yes
    he(Buddy) grabbed his arm, in what was later described as a vise grip-with bruises as proof, and
    drug him outside. They jumped into his car and got away. After that we started following Buddy's
    carrier . Sorry to say in the ensuing years I have lost track of both of them, but I do remember.
    Thats a great story. Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like he was a stand up guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was an Ironworker out of DC and Know Buddy pretty well,It saddens me to say that Buddy had a heart attack last week and has been on life support.One of my good friends went down and saw him today and told me that they were taking him off life support tomorrow.Buddy has been living in Vegas for about the last twenty years.I used to visit him about once a year when I would go out there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting read but the only Boggs I know is the great Wade Boggs...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pat5 View Post
    I was an Ironworker out of DC and Know Buddy pretty well,It saddens me to say that Buddy had a heart attack last week and has been on life support.One of my good friends went down and saw him today and told me that they were taking him off life support tomorrow.Buddy has been living in Vegas for about the last twenty years.I used to visit him about once a year when I would go out there.
    Thank you for sharing. I will let my Dad know the sad news.

He was proud to have known Buddy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello my name is Dawn and I am one of buddys children he died march 13 2014 I was with him when he passed. My father was on Tv in California and I was told the story recently that is on here and it was told the same way to me so its probably true my dad was unique. If anyone would like when I receive his ashes from Vegas I will be putting an obituary in the Washington Post of when the service will be and I can also put on here.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by dhutch0529 View Post
    Hello my name is Dawn and I am one of buddys children he died march 13 2014 I was with him when he passed. My father was on Tv in California and I was told the story recently that is on here and it was told the same way to me so its probably true my dad was unique. If anyone would like when I receive his ashes from Vegas I will be putting an obituary in the Washington Post of when the service will be and I can also put on here.
    Thank you for posting. I am very sorry for your loss. My Dad spoke highly of him, though he only knew him for a short time. He described him as fearless and humble.

Said he once asked him how he would do against the welterweight champion during that time and Buddy replied "He'd kill me. There's a big difference between number 8 and number 1."

My Father was surprised when Buddy said that, but he admired his honesty and modesty.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another story my Dad told me about Buddy involved a light heavyweight by the name of "Wild Bill". My Dad said this guy was a chiseled black fighter and mean as hell. He watched him fight on the undercard of Boggs once and Wild Bill was getting head butt repeatedly by his opponent until he finally snapped. He unleashed a flury on the guy and dropped him then kicked him in the groin as the guy fell out of the ring. Wild Bill was disqualified.

Later my Dad asked Buddy about Wild Bill and he said: "We go to the same gym. He won't even spar me any more. Just says F you Boggs. I'm too fast for him. But, I'll tell you another thing; the bigger they are...the harder they hit."

I've used that last line many times myself in my boxing and sparring at the gym. It's true.

Buddy also told my Dad he was managed by n used to live with WW II war hero and movie star Audy Murphy. Even said he almost got on that plane with him that crashed. Was invited to but declined.

I'm afraid that's all the stories I have, but I felt like you might like to know.

God bless you and R.I.P. Buddy Boggs.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My uncle use to live next to the Santa Barbra arena. Every time they had fights there he would get in free. He said Boggs fought there one time on one of the Quarry brothers under card. Lost to some fighter that only had like 4 fights. Looks like he was an average, tough club fighter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes we lived in California for awhile dad was his bodygaurd and audie became his manager I now have audies helmut he wore in the war I remember his house vaguely I was very young. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone

I'm his daughter and yes he did fight on TV we were in California at the time.

Thread Information