Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Liston v Clay & Klitschko v Fury parallel

Here you go @Dark Lord Al I think this deserves a thread of its own.

When Ali was due to fight Liston he was a big underdog. Amongst other things he was seen as having a weak chin. He was dropped by small 190lb Sonny Banks and even smaller 180lb Cooper who nearly knocked him cold. He was then seen as being gifted a decision against Doug Jones who also hurt him.

What Ali had was movement and combination punching and it was too much for Liston to deal with as will Furys over Klitschko but at the time it was ridiculous to even suggest Ali would beat the monster Liston.

Cassius Clay-Sonny Liston I: 50 Years Later - Ring TV

Of 58 sportswriters polled before the fight, 55 picked Liston to win and the vast majority thought he'd end matters quickly. In retrospect it's difficult to believe Clay was such a profound underdog but at the time several compelling reasons fueled their opinions.

First, Liston was a textbook fighter with a complete arsenal of deadly punches while Clay broke every imaginable rule of boxing fundamentals. He kept his hands too low. He leaned away from punches instead of slipping them. He never punched to the body. He knew nothing about fighting in the trenches. His hook and uppercut – which he used rarely – were average at best.

Second, Clay had a questionable chin. He suffered a flash knockdown against Sonny Banks and was nearly knocked senseless by Henry Cooper in his most recent fight eight months earlier. The punch that floored Clay both times: The left hook. And what was Liston's best punch? The left hook.

Third, despite the 14 knockouts in his 19-0 record and the fact that he had stopped 10 of his last 11 opponents, Clay didn't appear to have the one-punch power to earn Liston's respect.

Finally, the experts thought the 22-year-old Clay was mentally unstable and lacked the maturity to be world heavyweight champion. Those criticisms seemingly were confirmed the morning of the fight when Clay instigated the most chaotic weigh-in ceremony the boxing world had ever seen.

Cassius Clay vs. Doug Jones - BoxRec

The Associated Press - March 14, 1963:
    The spindly-legged New Yorker gave Cassius Clay quick notice that he had no intention of falling quickly. Early in the first round, he caught Cassius with a hard right to the jaw that shook the cocky one all over. Clay had just leaned his head back and Jones came through with a right. Jones also rocked Clay in the fourth and seventh rounds, and at times made the tall, handsome youngster look like a novice

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Liston v Clay & Klitschko v Fury parallel

Al hates Ali so you do have something there but comparing Ali to Fury is pushing it a bit Ross.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's uncanny really. I also noticed the the names Klitschko and Liston both have an "o" and an "I" in them. And the names Clay and Fury both have 1 Vowel only and both have a "y" in them! Furthermore Liston fought Ali exactly 68 days after his Birthday. Guess when Klit fights Fury? You got it.....68 days after his birthday!
    The Venue for Liston v Clay was Florida and the Klit v Fury fight is Düsseldorf and both cities have the letters F,L,O & R in them! And also, both fighters walk on the FLOOR!
    Plus Clay's favourite musicians were the Düsseldorf Brass Band, while Fury's favourite is ..... You've guessed it Flo Rida !!!!
    IT'S FATE! It has to happen, there is no other possible result!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My point is simple, im not saying they fight alike im saying there are the same reservations and criticisms.

Ali was thought to have a glass jaw after nearly being KO'd by Cooper who only weighed 180lb. It was hos teams cheating that kept him in that fight. Fury got dropped by an actual world class opponent (Cooper wasnt) and according to some did the cheating all by himself to over come and KO Cunningham.

No one thought Ali stood a chance against Liston and thought hed get badly hurt and early. What happened was he boxed rings round Liston as Fury will do to Klitschko.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would guess most Fury hate on this forum stems from how much you love him Ross and your terrible reasoning and opinions on fighters he has and will face.

I actually think hes ok. He looked really bad a few years back but has come on a lot. Hes a bit of a twat but hes a traveller so if he wasnt a twat Id be asking questions of him. It should be Wlads hardest fight to date.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    It's uncanny really. I also noticed the the names Klitschko and Liston both have an "o" and an "I" in them. And the names Clay and Fury both have 1 Vowel only and both have a "y" in them! Furthermore Liston fought Ali exactly 68 days after his Birthday. Guess when Klit fights Fury? You got it.....68 days after his birthday!
    The Venue for Liston v Clay was Florida and the Klit v Fury fight is Düsseldorf and both cities have the letters F,L,O & R in them! And also, both fighters walk on the FLOOR!
    Plus Clay's favourite musicians were the Düsseldorf Brass Band, while Fury's favourite is ..... You've guessed it Flo Rida !!!!
    LOL
    Damn! I had some doubts, I admit that, but now I see the light!
    'It has to happen, there is no other possible result!'

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Primo Carnera is on fire today, he must have had some.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha.😂

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the attitudes to this fight and what may be said after will be similar to Hatton v Tszyu. That Hatton was going to get blown away by the first clean right hand that landed but after it will be because Hatton got Tszyu at the right time and was just too much for him, roughing him up and outworking him.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Damn the juju is strong!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Here you go @Dark Lord Al I think this deserves a thread of its own.

When Ali was due to fight Liston he was a big underdog. Amongst other things he was seen as having a weak chin. He was dropped by small 190lb Sonny Banks and even smaller 180lb Cooper who nearly knocked him cold. He was then seen as being gifted a decision against Doug Jones who also hurt him.

What Ali had was movement and combination punching and it was too much for Liston to deal with as will Furys over Klitschko but at the time it was ridiculous to even suggest Ali would beat the monster Liston.

Cassius Clay-Sonny Liston I: 50 Years Later - Ring TV

Of 58 sportswriters polled before the fight, 55 picked Liston to win and the vast majority thought he'd end matters quickly. In retrospect it's difficult to believe Clay was such a profound underdog but at the time several compelling reasons fueled their opinions.

First, Liston was a textbook fighter with a complete arsenal of deadly punches while Clay broke every imaginable rule of boxing fundamentals. He kept his hands too low. He leaned away from punches instead of slipping them. He never punched to the body. He knew nothing about fighting in the trenches. His hook and uppercut – which he used rarely – were average at best.

Second, Clay had a questionable chin. He suffered a flash knockdown against Sonny Banks and was nearly knocked senseless by Henry Cooper in his most recent fight eight months earlier. The punch that floored Clay both times: The left hook. And what was Liston's best punch? The left hook.

Third, despite the 14 knockouts in his 19-0 record and the fact that he had stopped 10 of his last 11 opponents, Clay didn't appear to have the one-punch power to earn Liston's respect.

Finally, the experts thought the 22-year-old Clay was mentally unstable and lacked the maturity to be world heavyweight champion. Those criticisms seemingly were confirmed the morning of the fight when Clay instigated the most chaotic weigh-in ceremony the boxing world had ever seen.

Cassius Clay vs. Doug Jones - BoxRec

The Associated Press - March 14, 1963:
    The spindly-legged New Yorker gave Cassius Clay quick notice that he had no intention of falling quickly. Early in the first round, he caught Cassius with a hard right to the jaw that shook the cocky one all over. Clay had just leaned his head back and Jones came through with a right. Jones also rocked Clay in the fourth and seventh rounds, and at times made the tall, handsome youngster look like a novice
    I can't possibly compare Ali to Fury, but it's an interesting post.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just like with Ali, dont judge until hes had his test.

Thread Information