Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Looking for advice - starting a new gear company

Hey guys,

I'm trying to start up a new fight gear company that specializes in boxing and eventually mma equipment.

I've been looking through the forums to see some of your thoughts on a bunch of different gear and have got lots of great ideas from what I've read already.

The first product I'm looking to design is a training boxing glove, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys on what you want to see in a glove.

I came up with a few questions that I really wanted to get opinions on, but any other comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Basically my goal is to provide a high quality glove (and gear) with end consumer, which is most of you guys, in mind. Hopefully you guys can help me in really figuring out exactly what u guys like or dislike in the equipment u guys buy.

Thanks in advance guys

ps. I know I have a lot of questions but you dont have to answer em all

-------------

1. What does "training gloves" mean to you?

2. When you first receive boxing gloves, what are some things that you immediately notice?

3. When you first put on some gloves, what are some things that you immediately notice?

4. What features did you like best from the training gloves you have owned previously?

5. What features did you think could improve on training gloves you have owned previously?

6. What features do you think are needed but for some reason no-one seems to provide?

7. In terms of materials, do you prefer, and why:

exterior: cowhide or goat leather?
    exterior: leather wrist contact or some synthetic material?

interior: nylon taffetta lining or leather lining
    interior: anti-bacterial or not? do you feel anti-bacterial linings reduce smell?

stitching: materials
    stitching: single/double, etc

padding: any company you like that does this best in your perspective? why?
    padding: if on the scale of padding cleto reyes was 0 and winning was 10, what would you like?
    padding: What material padding do u prefer most? Polyeurathane? PVC? other?

8. In terms of functionality, do you prefer, and why?
    a) hook and loop vs lace up
    b) thumbs attached at top to finger area or not?
    c) how far should your palm be able to open? (10 is completely open, 0 is fist form)
    d) would you prefer more padding around the wrist or on your knuckles?

9. In terms of availability / handling:
    a) what are you're biggest pet peeves?
    b) what shipping method have you found to be most reliable?
    c) what shipping method have you found to be most damage-free?
    d) when you want to order something, how long are you willing to wait (1wk, 2wk, 1mo)

10. In general what are the things that makes you fall in love with a glove and what are things that really put you off?

11. any other comments?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Looking for advice - starting a new gear company

I hate gloves that have padding on the palms because it makes it harder for me to clench my fist. I hate gloves that seem "pointed" at the knuckle area because it makes it easier for my wrist to bend upon impact. I think of training gloves as gloves you don't have to take off once during training. I hate heavy bag mitts because they seem more suited to hitting the pads with the tiny bit of padding they provide. I used to have alot of problems with my right wrist as I had injured it before skateboarding and riding bikes until I stopped wearing heavy bag mitts and got myself a pair of 12 oz then 16 oz gloves. I wear 16 oz Fairtex leather hook and loop gloves at the moment. I like them because they dont have any padding on the palms and the wrist is well supported. People will go for products that deal with their problems. I don't really need additional padding for my knuckles even when I wrap becuse the main problem I get is with the right wrist but since I started wearing proper gloves I haven't had the same problem. I wouldn't buy gloves over the internet even if I had tried the same pair on at a shop. A hand injury can take you out of the game for months and even force you to change your style. I think a good way to break into the market would be if you contacted some local trainers and started making them some gear with their club logo on it so there would be an incentive for them to sell your products to their fighters. You could get quality feedback from the trainers or directly from the fighters themselves. After awhile you could sponsor a fight night and set up shop at the event. If you want to get a good idea of what people are after with gloves ask them how they wrap their hands. Headgear that provided wider peripheral vision would be great too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey CrownME

I've recently set up a blog. A free sign up document I've written is called 10 Essentials for the Ideal Home Boxing Gym. Maybe it might be of some small help. Anyway, you can get at a copy here.

Cheers and good luck with your venture.

Fran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. What does "training gloves" mean to you?
    Gloves that Are Comphy and protect hands while training.

2. When you first receive boxing gloves, what are some things that you immediately notice?
    Weight and shape of them. Feeling of them to

3. When you first put on some gloves, what are some things that you immediately notice?
    The fitment Comphet of them How they Feel and if you can relex with them. I had some and i couldnt seem to relax and let punches flow for some reason.

4. What features do you think are needed but for some reason no-one seems to provide? The fitment Adjustable. Cant really describe what i mean but there either laces/Velcro.

5. In terms of materials, do you prefer, and why:

exterior: cowhide. Always used really Dont pefer just what i stuck with.
    exterior: leather wrist contact Fel more supportive.

interior: nylon taffetta lining Again Comphy To the hand.
    interior: anti-bacterial or not? do you feel anti-bacterial linings reduce smell? Dosnt eally bother me.

stitching: single

padding: any company you like that does this best in your perspective? why? Adidas The gel Padding is really comphy and think it makes the glove fit better to the hand.
    padding: if on the scale of padding cleto reyes was 0 and winning was 10, what would you like? 6
    padding: What material padding do u prefer most? Polyeurathane?

6. In terms of functionality, do you prefer, and why?
    a) hook and loop vs lace up
    b) thumbs attached at top Have problesms with dislicated Thumbs.
    c) how far should your palm be able to open? (10 is completely open, 0 is fist form)3/4 Less effort to make a fist.
    d) would you prefer more padding around the wrist or on your knuckles? Wrist

d) when you want to order something, how long are you willing to wait (1wk, 2wk, 1mo) 2weeks

7. In general what are the things that makes you fall in love with a glove and what are things that really put you off?

8. any other comments?
    Yes i would b willingto test out any of your products and try get the gym to do the same if you would want. Hope it helps i know i havnt went in detail but a overview and a start

Thread Information