Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does power come from the legs?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How does power come from the legs?

Iv have read that the power in a punch comes from the legs. For someone who is still a novice, this concept is hard to grasp.

How does the power come from the legs?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How does power come from the legs?

can you punch sitting down?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It doesnt all come from the legs bro ,thats another expression people hook onto and repeat.
    Power comes from many things,firstly your mind.
    IT comes from a solid fist (not a loose one)
    It comes from having your self alighned behind your shot (body weight,as well as bones in arms as well as turning or twisting into some shots.
    Footwork can relate to power too. Stand in front of your bag and hold your arm and fist out straight and walk into the bag fast ,see your legs have shifted your weight through the target.
    Now bend your knees slightly,walk through like before but raise your body by raising your heel and straightening your knee and it puts more power into the target (and you havent even thrown the punch yet
    Now put it all together and throw a "light" straight jab as you shift your bodyweight through and raise the rear heel with a light top of body turn on impact into the punch as well as straighten the leg.

SEE.

Dont practice all that straight up and damage yourself though.
    do it in sections and then put it all together.

get your wrist locked in position .try elbow down and a vertical fist with your shoulder in behind the movment and straight shot out just to start with.

Then experiment with tagging it onto your foot moves .
    HAve fun experimenting with hooks ,overhand bombs vetical fists jabs, horizontal fist jabs,angled hooks in between an uppercut and a hook etc etc.

Ducking a shot (bending all your joints down hips included) going under their arm and comming up with an uppercut would be the most leg power and joint flex that you could transfer into a shot as you raise your whole body weight up and into the punch.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

above all else
    power comes from proper technique
    i would rather get punched by a guy whose been doing squats for 5 months straight rather than a guy who has been perfecting his punches for 5 months straight
    technique, technique, technique
    Lightning Strikes Twice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it comes from legs, the core, possible lats if your choose to, then bang...a perfect punch

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It has to do with weight shifting and transference: When you punch, the first move is on the feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

leverage also comes from legs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well the whole thing is, when moving weight from back to front you have to be able to maintain some kind of balance. this translates out to moving weight from your back foot to your front foot for a right hand punch as an example. when you start to punch with your weight instead of just punching with your arms you start to see that a punch is a body movement not just isoloated in one area.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxing_fo...c,25487.0.html
    Have a look at these videos ^

The guy seems nervous or something because he hardly makes sense. reason I posted them is because its often alot easier to show something than it is to explain it. Its a simple enough thing to understand but its can often be harder to translate it across to a forum.

This guy's technique isn't perfect and he could talk through it alot slower and calmer, but just watch the way he uses his body to punch rather than just his arm.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the above.
    Speed equates into power too;
    (only if applied right) and added into weight transferance and your technique).
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got a simple way of saying it.....say if you get knocked down or out. You will get up and your legs will be well...like jelly, throw a punch and see how hard it is.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Two things that never get a mention, the two unsung heros of the human body.

Thumb: Where would we be without it, still swinging from trees probably. Try making a fist without it the arm would only work half as efficiently without it. It is whats made us Humans more intelligent than any other species, just think of the joys we have and how it makes life so easy from masterbation to picking your nose. Sitting down and having a nice cuppa tea, we couldnt do it without it. It gets us out of all sorts of scrapes, and we dont realise it is there unless it gets banged or trapped and then the pain is agonising because it is so sensitive.

Big Toe: A wonderful piece of engineering, everything in the leg works off it, it gives balance, helps the knee tendons to work, couldnt run or skip without it, you would have a hard job walking as well. It is the thing that generates all the power. It is a very sensitive piece of equipment, and then again we never know it is there unless we drop something on it, and then does it hurt.

I think what we should do is get hold of all the world leaders and petition them to make an international day for the Thumb and Big Toe, we can then all stay in bed and twiddle them to our hearts content. What Joy !!!

Regards
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^ thats lovely mate

but, its got fuck all to do with power coming from the legs

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Two things that never get a mention, the two unsung heros of the human body.

Thumb: Where would we be without it, still swinging from trees probably. Try making a fist without it the arm would only work half as efficiently without it. It is whats made us Humans more intelligent than any other species, just think of the joys we have and how it makes life so easy from masterbation to picking your nose. Sitting down and having a nice cuppa tea, we couldnt do it without it. It gets us out of all sorts of scrapes, and we dont realise it is there unless it gets banged or trapped and then the pain is agonising because it is so sensitive.

Big Toe: A wonderful piece of engineering, everything in the leg works off it, it gives balance, helps the knee tendons to work, couldnt run or skip without it, you would have a hard job walking as well. It is the thing that generates all the power. It is a very sensitive piece of equipment, and then again we never know it is there unless we drop something on it, and then does it hurt.

I think what we should do is get hold of all the world leaders and petition them to make an international day for the Thumb and Big Toe, we can then all stay in bed and twiddle them to our hearts content. What Joy !!!

Regards
    Testicles: A wonderfull peice of design, both technically and as an art peice. Motivates and rewards all the pursuits of being a man. A VERY sensitive peice of equipment, you only notice them when they are too full or are hit with a reasonable amount of force and then it fucking hurts. We couldn't fuck or fight with out them, they get us into all sorts of trouble. They should have their own day so we can sit in bed and twiddle them/have them twiddled all day. What Joy !!!

Regards

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alex, the thumb and toe are essential for punching the adductor muscles in the leg wont work without the use of the toe. Thats why a hundred metre sprinters trying to get 3.2 secs time for the first 30 metres incorporate it in there technique to implement the rest of the driving muscles. The big toe is the centre of the balance mechanism. The thumb is the thing that seperates us and our IQ from all other primates is it has taken a long evolutionary process for this to happen, you cant make a fist without it and is the contraction of the thumbs tendons and muscles what causes the drive and turning of the shoulder when punching all the messages to do this come out of the same vertibrae.

Anyways Scott Welch rang me two weeks ago and wants me at great expense to himself to come down and work with you lot for a week, funnily enough we spent 2-3 minutes talking about yourself, interesting. So when I come down I will explain it in more detail because I dont believe you can discuss techniques individually on the net.

Adam your a cheeky cunt but I like you, cheeky boy
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information