0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dana White "Floyd Mayweather is not a superstar"

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    Oh and to be fair on he flip side of the coin, Dana White is a douche bag. A hypocrite who expects his fighters to behave but runs arund using the F word every other sentence and enslaves people with contracts. He did create a huge org. and props to him for working hard to see the sport grow. He is an ass though; who isn't these days. And Floyd is a superstar in sports; a bit of a stretch to say otherwise.

Don't like it don't watch. I love boxing above anything but MMA guys are some of the best athletes on the planet.
    I've seen that entire interview though & he actually says that they're incredible athletes, his dislike seems more aimed at White than the fighters. The comment about race, whilst badly phrased (would you expect otherwise from Floyd) does have some truth to it in the sense that in recent years the popularity of a fighter & hence sport can be related to the ethnicity of fighters. I'm not saying that fans only come from one background, but the popularity of Manny Pacquiao has boosted Fillipino interest in the sport, similarly with Khan & much of the Asian community in Britain, which first got into boxing due to Naz (even though he was Arab). Look at the support Ricky Hatton & Joe Calzaghe had & you can see why UFC is still way behind boxing in Britain. In UFC, we don't really have a 'star' (no Bisping doesn't count), whilst our leading boxers are everywhere, the exception being Haye who doesn't really have any solid fanbase in the same way Hatton, Calzaghe, Froch & Khan do.

Agree man. And I'm a white boy; it doesn't offend me what he says because it's the truth. I admit; I get behind guys like Pavlik and Hatton or the Quarry's or Cobb's of the world, just because in the end we all get behind fighters of our own ethnicity at times. Doesn't make us racist, just proud. Yeah, white boxers suck. Big deal. I can live with that. My favorite fighters are all black and hispanic, like Foster or Carbajal. But I got more respect for the shitty Tex Cobb's of the world than a guy who retired before finishing business in the WW division.

Floyd was talking sh#t a while back about UFC and Dana said he'd pay him to fight Sean Sherk; if it was that easy and he was a white boy chump he should have done it; easy $$$ and all those bragging rights. He would have been smashed to bits in about 2 minutes and he knows it. I don't think he was scared; I just think before he starts saying it's a white trash sport and whitey can only Wrastle' and he's on a different level he should back it up or stfu. He made it racial and anyone who saw that interview knows he went there on purpose.

Not trying to offend anyone here. I judge people by character, not color.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I now know who Dana White is. Cheers fellas.

Dana is no name for a dude.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and to be fair on he flip side of the coin, Dana White is a douche bag. A hypocrite who expects his fighters to behave but runs arund using the F word every other sentence and enslaves people with contracts. He did create a huge org. and props to him for working hard to see the sport grow. He is an ass though; who isn't these days. And Floyd is a superstar in sports; a bit of a stretch to say otherwise.

Don't like it don't watch. I love boxing above anything but MMA guys are some of the best athletes on the planet.
    I've seen that entire interview though & he actually says that they're incredible athletes, his dislike seems more aimed at White than the fighters. The comment about race, whilst badly phrased (would you expect otherwise from Floyd) does have some truth to it in the sense that in recent years the popularity of a fighter & hence sport can be related to the ethnicity of fighters. I'm not saying that fans only come from one background, but the popularity of Manny Pacquiao has boosted Fillipino interest in the sport, similarly with Khan & much of the Asian community in Britain, which first got into boxing due to Naz (even though he was Arab). Look at the support Ricky Hatton & Joe Calzaghe had & you can see why UFC is still way behind boxing in Britain. In UFC, we don't really have a 'star' (no Bisping doesn't count), whilst our leading boxers are everywhere, the exception being Haye who doesn't really have any solid fanbase in the same way Hatton, Calzaghe, Froch & Khan do.

Agree man. And I'm a white boy; it doesn't offend me what he says because it's the truth. I admit; I get behind guys like Pavlik and Hatton or the Quarry's or Cobb's of the world, just because in the end we all get behind fighters of our own ethnicity at times. Doesn't make us racist, just proud. Yeah, white boxers suck. Big deal. I can live with that. My favorite fighters are all black and hispanic, like Foster or Carbajal. But I got more respect for the shitty Tex Cobb's of the world than a guy who retired before finishing business in the WW division.

Floyd was talking sh#t a while back about UFC and Dana said he'd pay him to fight Sean Sherk; if it was that easy and he was a white boy chump he should have done it; easy $$$ and all those bragging rights. He would have been smashed to bits in about 2 minutes and he knows it. I don't think he was scared; I just think before he starts saying it's a white trash sport and whitey can only Wrastle' and he's on a different level he should back it up or stfu. He made it racial and anyone who saw that interview knows he went there on purpose.

Yeah, there's nothing racial about supporting someone of your own colour, everyone else does it, I don't see why white people can't as well. I do think you're reading a bit much into what he says though, he says there's no white boxers who're really dominating the sport right now. A year ago with Hatton, Pavlik, Calzaghe etc all at or near the top that wasn't true, but it is right now. I disagree with the white people made it to have something to be good at, that's bollocks, but if he means (& I assume he does) that white people are interested in it because there are more white fighters in it.

It was Arum who said it was a white trash sport & all the other comments, & Floyd did retract the stuff he said about MMA after the Sherk incident, probably for exactly the reasons you said. He's bound to continue to say boxing is better, of course he would, can you imagine the storm if he said MMA was better?? Everyone would be on here saying Floyd was selling the sport out. I personally dislike Dana White tryna claim he's a 'huge boxing fan', if he was he wouldn't be relentlessly trying to put the 2 into competition together.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez The Killer View Post
    I dont watch MMA and think it's hugely overrated. I would never order an MMA ppv. and I think Dana White is usually a cunt. But he makes a lot of sense here imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRmRk...layer_embedded
    Who the fukk cares? He gets paid like a Superstar. That's all that matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, there's nothing racial about supporting someone of your own colour, everyone else does it, I don't see why white people can't as well. I do think you're reading a bit much into what he says though, he says there's no white boxers who're really dominating the sport right now. A year ago with Hatton, Pavlik, Calzaghe etc all at or near the top that wasn't true, but it is right now. I disagree with the white people made it to have something to be good at, that's bollocks, but if he means (& I assume he does) that white people are interested in it because there are more white fighters in it.

It was Arum who said it was a white trash sport & all the other comments, & Floyd did retract the stuff he said about MMA after the Sherk incident, probably for exactly the reasons you said. He's bound to continue to say boxing is better, of course he would, can you imagine the storm if he said MMA was better?? Everyone would be on here saying Floyd was selling the sport out. I personally dislike Dana White tryna claim he's a 'huge boxing fan', if he was he wouldn't be relentlessly trying to put the 2 into competition together.

Maybe I am reading too much into it; but when Floyd makes a blanket statement like that and doesn't even know white people didn't create the idea of the UFC then I'm going to read it how it is being presented to me. Yeah he didn't exactly say it was white trash, but when you say MMA is for beer drinkers and then say white people had to make the sport to be able to fight competitively it's implying the same thing; white beer drinkers in their mobile homes heehawing it up for the white boy victory; that's how I see it. Either way it shouldn't have been said. And, last time I looked, the whitey's from Russia were dominatin the HW division. Not that I'm bragging that up

Like I said; got all the respect for his talents; never once have I said he wasn't an amazing talent if not the most talened fighter I have seen. LOL'd when he made Hatton pinball off the ring post; put a bag over my head when he destroyed Gatti I just think he should shut his mouth; he's not talented in that area like he is in the ring. But he won't and that's fine; he can say whatever he wants. I can appreciate the art without appreciating the artist.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe I am reading too much into it; but when Floyd makes a blanket statement like that and doesn't even know white people didn't create the idea of the UFC then I'm going to read it how it is being presented to me. Yeah he didn't exactly say it was white trash, but when you say MMA is for beer drinkers and then say white people had to make the sport to be able to fight competitively it's implying the same thing; white beer drinkers in their mobile homes heehawing it up for the white boy victory; that's how I see it. Either way it shouldn't have been said. And, last time I looked, the whitey's from Russia were dominatin the HW division. Not that I'm bragging that up

Like I said; got all the respect for his talents; never once have I said he wasn't an amazing talent if not the most talened fighter I have seen. LOL'd when he made Hatton pinball off the ring post; put a bag over my head when he destroyed Gatti I just think he should shut his mouth; he's not talented in that area like he is in the ring. But he won't and that's fine; he can say whatever he wants. I can appreciate the art without appreciating the artist.
    He definitely should allow doing interviews, he seems way too easily riled & sadly does the thing too many young men do & let's his mouth get about 2 minutes ahead of where his brain is at. It's actually odd that he's far more eloquent after a fight where he's taken punches to the head & done something unbelievably physically draining. Maybe someone should hit him over the back of the head with a tennis racket just after each question is asked & he'll be like Gandhi

I still don't think he meant it like that, it's his usual 'I don't like that question so I'm going to let my mouth go whilst my brain takes a cigarette break' but it does give him these ridiculous quotes. I know I shouldn't have laughed at the bolded bit, but I got this mental image of the guys from Deliverance sitting with Cletus from Simpsons & couldn't help myself. I've had a pretty crap last couple of weeks, so thanks for that sentence its made me laugh more than anything.

It says something pretty bad about the HW division, when I actually totally forgot about the fighters there, I actually did a mental check & was thinking about the likes of Kessler & Pavlik but the Bros. Klit evaded.

Of course if you believe Lefty, Haye is going to destroy Vitali in the opening 10 seconds before Wlad vacates & hides in a cave in Afghanistan with Osama to avoid him, & then yeah Black Boys back on top! Woooh yeaaah!

Although again that's what Lefty tells me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He definitely should allow doing interviews, he seems way too easily riled & sadly does the thing too many young men do & let's his mouth get about 2 minutes ahead of where his brain is at. It's actually odd that he's far more eloquent after a fight where he's taken punches to the head & done something unbelievably physically draining. Maybe someone should hit him over the back of the head with a tennis racket just after each question is asked & he'll be like Gandhi

I still don't think he meant it like that, it's his usual 'I don't like that question so I'm going to let my mouth go whilst my brain takes a cigarette break' but it does give him these ridiculous quotes. I know I shouldn't have laughed at the bolded bit, but I got this mental image of the guys from Deliverance sitting with Cletus from Simpsons & couldn't help myself. I've had a pretty crap last couple of weeks, so thanks for that sentence its made me laugh more than anything.

It says something pretty bad about the HW division, when I actually totally forgot about the fighters there, I actually did a mental check & was thinking about the likes of Kessler & Pavlik but the Bros. Klit evaded.

Of course if you believe Lefty, Haye is going to destroy Vitali in the opening 10 seconds before Wlad vacates & hides in a cave in Afghanistan with Osama to avoid him, & then yeah Black Boys back on top! Woooh yeaaah!

Although again that's what Lefty tells me

Well we just see it in differing degrees and that's all good with me. We both agree he shouldn't have said it. And also yo gotta understand this is't the 1st time I've heard this type stuff before. Hell Chris Rock made a whole video about white fighters sucking So it does lead me into a certain way of thinking.

No apologies needed about laughing at my HeeHawmobile home statement, it was meant to be humorous because I think the same thing when I hear statements like that from Floyd; it's funny....but also insulting. My mobile home is awesomeThough I don't drink alcohol......yeeeehaw

And if Haye becomes HW champ I don't think black people will be getting too upbeat about it; it's still a crap division

Peace.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JK I don't live in a mobile home. I'm sure they're nice and all but tornadoes seem to flock to them
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well we just see it in differing degrees and that's all good with me. We both agree he shouldn't have said it. And also yo gotta understand this is't the 1st time I've heard this type stuff before. Hell Chris Rock made a whole video about white fighters sucking So it does lead me into a certain way of thinking.

No apologies needed about laughing at my HeeHawmobile home statement, it was meant to be humorous because I think the same thing when I hear statements like that from Floyd; it's funny....but also insulting. My mobile home is awesomeThough I don't drink alcohol......yeeeehaw

And if Haye becomes HW champ I don't think black people will be getting too upbeat about it; it's still a crap division

Peace.
    WHAT??! No it won't!! Haye will revive the division & personify Ali, Tyson, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes & Louis all in one mixed-race adonis. At least that's what Lefty tells me

I agree with you totally on the Chris Rock video, I thought that crossed the line. Here you would never get a respected boxer saying he felt better when he saw a white guy as his opponent. I lost any respect for Mark Breland when I saw it. I don't even think it was Chris Rock necessarily being racist as he was asking the questions & is a comedian so is bound to be controversial. But Breland & the other guys took the piss & were being racist & I see that as very different to Floyd's comment, which I think was stupidity rather than racism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peace.
    WHAT??! No it won't!! Haye will revive the division & personify Ali, Tyson, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes & Louis all in one mixed-race adonis. At least that's what Lefty tells me

I agree with you totally on the Chris Rock video, I thought that crossed the line. Here you would never get a respected boxer saying he felt better when he saw a white guy as his opponent. I lost any respect for Mark Breland when I saw it. I don't even think it was Chris Rock necessarily being racist as he was asking the questions & is a comedian so is bound to be controversial. But Breland & the other guys took the piss & were being racist & I see that as very different to Floyd's comment, which I think was stupidity rather than racism.

They sometimes go hand in hand. And I don't necessarily think Floyd is a whitey hater; whether he hates white people I don't know and tbh don't care. I just know the comment itself was racist and stereotypical. I mean really; how does being asked about MMA in an interview manage to make its way to beer drinking white boys fighting in a sport because they suck at boxing? Sounds to me like it wasn't an off hand remark out of sheer stupidity; more like he has given it lots of thought, though no research lmao. I'm sure Bilbo will come in and debate it wasn't racist like he did when Hopkins said he'd never let a white boy beat him.

Chris Rock might not be a racist; but he didn't mind letting his name be put behind a blatantly antagonistic, racist video; so even though he might not be one he sure seemed to think it was good comical fun and endorsed it just by participating. It's a fine line imo. I hadn't meant to bring up the Rock video; I just remembered not too long ago someone posted in a thread about it and it popped into my head.

Anyway, all I can do is hope for JMM to beat him; which is about as likely as Floyd joining the KKK
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post

Yeah I've been reading about Floyd's remarks on an MMA forum the past few days; was wondering when Dana would say something.

Floyd would get owned in MMA, BJ Penn or Shawn Sherk would make him look stupid and ruin him; just like them dudes would get owned by him in a boxing match. 2 different sports who cares.

And white people didn't start MMA; UFC it was started by the Gracie family to showcase how superior their fighting system was to any on the planet. Joyce Gracie was fighting 3 guys a night; no weight limits or gloves, and winning. He would cripple Floyd. As usual Floyd talking out his ass and doesn't even know the facts. It was racial as well as stupid.
    I still have the first 5 UFC's, they are the shit.

Yes they are. Floyd says they aren't on his level? Tell me Floyd would stand a chance against a guy who outweighs him by almost 100 pounds like Dan Severn outweighed Joyce.

Floyd couldn't fight in MMA because of his brittle ass hands and the small gloves in MMA would have him crying 1st punch he threw.
    Floyd probably wouldn't cut it in MMA because that's not his sport. I'm pretty sure there aren't too many MMA fighters that could take Floyd out in a boxing ring. Think if Peyton Manning were to try and play rugby....... Then think if a rugby player tried to play in the NFL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez The Killer View Post
    I think he was responding to Mayweather's "Whites needed a fight sport, so they invented MMA"

Mayweather: Whites needed a fight sport, so they invented MMA - Cagewriter - Mixed Martial Arts - Yahoo! Sports

Yeah I've been reading about Floyd's remarks on an MMA forum the past few days; was wondering when Dana would say something.

Floyd would get owned in MMA, BJ Penn or Shawn Sherk would make him look stupid and ruin him; just like them dudes would get owned by him in a boxing match. 2 different sports who cares.

And white people didn't start MMA; UFC it was started by the Gracie family to showcase how superior their fighting system was to any on the planet
    . Joyce Gracie was fighting 3 guys a night; no weight limits or gloves, and winning. He would cripple Floyd. As usual Floyd talking out his ass and doesn't even know the facts. It was racial as well as stupid.

The Gracies are white though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

brazilians are white? the gracies are brazilians right?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by markb018 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post

And white people didn't start MMA; UFC it was started by the Gracie family to showcase how superior their fighting system was to any on the planet. Joyce Gracie was fighting 3 guys a night; no weight limits or gloves, and winning. He would cripple Floyd. As usual Floyd talking out his ass and doesn't even know the facts. It was racial as well as stupid.
    I still have the first 5 UFC's, they are the shit.

That one guy who looked like Sagat from Street Fighter who fought the sumo wrestler and kicked his teeth out of his mouth is burned into my head. I think it was either 1 or 2. I must have been about 10 years old. That was awesome
    YEah, one of the first and the guy, if I am correct, was Gerrard Gordeau
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is a superstar! he is as big as any UFC fighter maybe with the exception of Brock Lesnar.

Thread Information