Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Beating Brandon Rios

Brandon Rios brings some real advantages to the ring with him. I think his three biggest are his fighting spirit, his physical strength and his size. He seems to be one of the gifted weight cutters in the sport and often has a significant size advantage on fight night.

I went back and watched the Peterson and Acosta fights looking for ways to overcome those advantages (assuming of course one isn't physically stronger) and here's what I've come up with. (in no order)

1. One must jab Rios HARD. A flicking or rangefinding jab just doesn't discourage him at all. The jab must be thought about as a straight left rather than a jab. This punch can stop the Rios forward, forward, forward mindset that makes him feel like a runaway train. Rios doesn't do nearly as well on the retreat.

2. One must not continually retreat as a tactic-Barney Ross once said he'd retreat no more than two steps before he'd make a stand. Why? Because he thought it gave the foe too much confidence if one was continually retreating. One has to step to the side and counter Rios or worse case stand and trade occasionally. One must slow the Rios momentum. One other way of doing this is to get close, grab and then walk Rios backwards.

3. Go to the body
    -This takes serious nerve because body punching requires being in range. The idea here is just to keep Rios honest, not to knock him out this way. Hard jab, step inside, go to the body and then clinch.

4. The left hook- Rios doesn't seem to see this punch very well. A hook off the jab could be effective against him.

Where am I wrong, what did I miss and does Antillon actually have the toolbox to do any of this?
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Beating Brandon Rios

I personally haven't been terribly impressed with Rios, but he's not remotely the type of fighter I gravitate towards and I haven't seen very much of him, so what do I know. I just don't think he's the kind of fighter you need to really lay out a blueprint to beat, he's a lot like Margarito I suspect. Capable of beating guys a lot more talented than himself, but only providing that he is a lot more durable and can still land. For me Marquez would still spank him if he came back to 135, and certainly would have badly just a couple years back.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They eventually found out how to take out Tiger tanks so its there to do I think a big thing seeing that he is extremely hittable is for one to not to go to the well to often. Quick hard 2,3s and then couple steps off, reset. Eventually he lurches badly and falls over his own momentum. Fine line between falling into full retreat and trying to stay for two long where your caught in his return cycle. I think he's very beatable and eventually that chin will pop open like a jack n' the box.

I love Antillion and he deserves to be top, great punching arsenal and tremendous body work but his lack of footwork and flavor for the battle will catch up to him vs Rios. He'll have to stand and trade one to many times.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Brandon Rios brings some real advantages to the ring with him. I think his three biggest are his fighting spirit, his physical strength and his size. He seems to be one of the gifted weight cutters in the sport and often has a significant size advantage on fight night.

I went back and watched the Peterson and Acosta fights looking for ways to overcome those advantages (assuming of course one isn't physically stronger) and here's what I've come up with. (in no order)

1. One must jab Rios HARD. A flicking or rangefinding jab just doesn't discourage him at all. The jab must be thought about as a straight left rather than a jab. This punch can stop the Rios forward, forward, forward mindset that makes him feel like a runaway train. Rios doesn't do nearly as well on the retreat.

2. One must not continually retreat as a tactic-Barney Ross once said he'd retreat no more than two steps before he'd make a stand. Why? Because he thought it gave the foe too much confidence if one was continually retreating. One has to step to the side and counter Rios or worse case stand and trade occasionally. One must slow the Rios momentum. One other way of doing this is to get close, grab and then walk Rios backwards.

3. Go to the body
    -This takes serious nerve because body punching requires being in range. The idea here is just to keep Rios honest, not to knock him out this way. Hard jab, step inside, go to the body and then clinch.

4. The left hook- Rios doesn't seem to see this punch very well. A hook off the jab could be effective against him.

Where am I wrong, what did I miss and does Antillon actually have the toolbox to do any of this?
    I don't know Marble, Rios is tough as nails and very hard to discourage, my thoughts are it's going to take someone that has the power to badly hurt or knock Rios out, because if you don't, he's going to just keep on coming. Antillon is a tough cookie, with a lot of KO's, so this will great scrap Saturday.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

3. Go to the body-This takes serious nerve because body punching requires being in range. The idea here is just to keep Rios honest, not to knock him out this way. Hard jab, step inside, go to the body and then clinch.

There's probably more to it than that, but I don't think any of us could come up with anything near decent without spending two weeks watching tapes of him. I really don't feel that there is anyone at 135 who can beat him right now & I include JMM in that as much as I love him. I don't think Antillon has anything that could give Rios pause for though & I think he'll be lucky to see 8.

Rios is an absolute beast, he just won't be stopped, I have to say I love watching him fight even though I'm normally a fan of technical types. He really just seems like he wants it more than the other guy. I absolutely loved how he reacted to the low blows from Peterson, didn't look to the ref, just gave some of his own back.

The styles that should have troubled him (a fast, slick, technically astute boxer in Peterson & slippery power puncher in Acosta) have been unable to stop him. Antillon's only hope in my eyes is that Rios is struggling badly making weight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brandos Rios is beatable, but Urban Antillion isn't going to do anything other than get knocked the fuck out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    They eventually found out how to take out Tiger tanks so its there to do I think a big thing seeing that he is extremely hittable is for one to not to go to the well to often. Quick hard 2,3s and then couple steps off, reset. Eventually he lurches badly and falls over his own momentum. Fine line between falling into full retreat and trying to stay for two long where your caught in his return cycle. I think he's very beatable and eventually that chin will pop open like a jack n' the box.

I love Antillion and he deserves to be top, great punching arsenal and tremendous body work but his lack of footwork and flavor for the battle will catch up to him vs Rios. He'll have to stand and trade one to many times.
    Yup on the bold. Not an easy road to navigate. One reason I think Rios is formidable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I personally haven't been terribly impressed with Rios, but he's not remotely the type of fighter I gravitate towards and I haven't seen very much of him, so what do I know. I just don't think he's the kind of fighter you need to really lay out a blueprint to beat, he's a lot like Margarito I suspect. Capable of beating guys a lot more talented than himself, but only providing that he is a lot more durable and can still land. For me Marquez would still spank him if he came back to 135, and certainly would have badly just a couple years back.
    The JMM of 3-4 years ago handles him. But the JMM that was troubled early by Juan Diaz? I dunno.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Brandos Rios is beatable, but Urban Antillion isn't going to do anything other than get knocked the fuck out.
    You just have to stop holding back!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

3. Go to the body

I don't know Marble, Rios is tough as nails and very hard to discourage, my thoughts are it's going to take someone that has the power to badly hurt or knock Rios out, because if you don't, he's going to just keep on coming. Antillon is a tough cookie, with a lot of KO's, so this will great scrap Saturday.
    You could very well be correct on the bold. But I can't figure out who is around at 135 who has that toolbox. I don't think Linares hits hard enough or is physical enough. John Molina kind of sounds like that, but is he ready? The guys who moved up, JMM, The Ghost I just can't see.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

3. Go to the body-This takes serious nerve because body punching requires being in range. The idea here is just to keep Rios honest, not to knock him out this way. Hard jab, step inside, go to the body and then clinch.

There's probably more to it than that, but I don't think any of us could come up with anything near decent without spending two weeks watching tapes of him. I really don't feel that there is anyone at 135 who can beat him right now & I include JMM in that as much as I love him. I don't think Antillon has anything that could give Rios pause for though & I think he'll be lucky to see 8.

Rios is an absolute beast, he just won't be stopped, I have to say I love watching him fight even though I'm normally a fan of technical types. He really just seems like he wants it more than the other guy. I absolutely loved how he reacted to the low blows from Peterson, didn't look to the ref, just gave some of his own back.

The styles that should have troubled him (a fast, slick, technically astute boxer in Peterson & slippery power puncher in Acosta) have been unable to stop him. Antillon's only hope in my eyes is that Rios is struggling badly making weight.
    Given that I did that in ten minutes aftert watching two fights I HOPE there is more to it than that!

One hell of a post by the way. Tough to argue with any of it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got this nagging feeling Antillion is gonna upset him

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

When it was suggested to Antillion by a reporter, that someone was going to get knocked out in this fight, he smiled and said: "Well it's not going to be me." I liked his attitude.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Isn't boxing GREAT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't watched enough tape but you are on the right track. Make him fight at mid- range, make space by bumping back. Turn him in to punches. Time his big uppercut with counter hooks. If you can turn him, plant and throw the two, you might slow him down. If he doesn't respect your power he is going to walk you down. I would focus on getting off first, beating him to the punch, getting off combinations and then get out before he counters. He will probably get frustrated and a little careless. I think he can be walked and turned in to some big, straight shots.

Rios would destroy Molina. I would like to see him against someone like Kendall Holt (on a good day). Eventually he will move up and find some tough fights. I think he gets exposed at light welter.

Thread Information